Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Thanks @JoshFossgreen . I’ve been looking through the forums and YouTube and was gravitating towards the Rumble amps (found your amp review as well - very helpful) so I think one might go on my Christmas list!
Have also signed up to the course and have now completed the first two modules. The course is proving to be very good - at the end of each lesson I find myself wanting to jump straight in to the next one. So far I have finished each session with a feeling that I can do this which will hopefully drive me on when I hit a lesson that I struggle with. The course is well paced and well written, but most importantly, well presented. Your enthusiasm for the instrument, and for teaching it, comes through and helps keep us students fired up.
Now, on to Module 3!

6 Likes

Hi everyone, another newbie here looking to fill the dark Covid months ahead. I have a bit of a musical background playing piano, keyboards, piano accordion etc but the first time I’ve ever picked up a bass guitar, or any guitar. I’ve started the beginners coarse and loving it, Josh is brilliant in his approach and manner to teaching. I have a bit of a problem in using my damaged index finger for plucking so I’m using middle and fourth at the moment, if that doesn’t work too well I may have to switch to a plectrum !!
I have an 8 yr old grandson playing drums and a 9 yr old grandson playing lead (had their first school gig in March) so they’re looking forward to me getting the hang of this haha. All the best to you bassists, Brian.
PS. UK based and 74yrs old ! Claim to fame - was school mates with Keith Moon The Loon haha.

10 Likes

Welcome to the community @LittleJackal & @Brian.RichardS!

3 Likes

Welcome @Brian.RichardS

School mates with Keith Moon ! Was he as loopy tunes in his formative years or did he acquire his madness later in life?

4 Likes

While not exactly “buy once cry once”, I did agonize on it a fair bit and decided on buying something I won’t immediately want to get rid of :slightly_smiling_face:

I initially purchased an Epiphone EB3 with which I was in love, however the neck dive was so tragic that it had to go. I didn’t want to have to fight with holding the guitar up in additon to worrying about mastering fretting.

5 Likes

Welcome to the group @LittleJackal and @Brian.RichardS glad you’re here! Enjoy the course. It has never failed to keep me motivated and feeling accomplished.
And you will always find help, encouragement and some friendly conversations here!

3 Likes

Haha yes, totally mad at school. He was in the year above me, as teenagers we became mates because we kept meeting up in detention (punishment) after school for misbehaving and having a blast. I remember when he started having drum lessons after school, he was about 14/15yrs, he loved it. He kept telling me to go along and try it, he said you can just sit there and smash everything in sight and no one would care haha.

8 Likes

I always thought it was either drink or drugs that made him the way he was @Brian.RichardS lol
It’s good to hear he was just naturally that way :+1:

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Brian.RichardS and @LittleJackal !

5 Likes

wecome @Brian.RichardS

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Brian.RichardS,
Gotta be a good bloke, have the same name😁
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome @LittleJackal and @Brian.RichardS!

7 Likes

Hi Josh everyone is so helpful here, including your Jason :slight_smile: Here is my new Victor Bailey.

I wrote a little text to Pampurrs as a reply to her congratuling a member showing his new bass. May I take the opportunity to send you the following link to Tokyo groove which you probably know, a cover of Tower of Power’s What is hip.

This is so much faster than the original that I can’t corelate hands to sound (the lady on the shimizen is amazing :-). However, from what I hear, the main line does not seem as difficult as it sounds while some other lines are mystery to me. Maybe you would like to decode them some day (I’m sure you have requests :slight_smile:
I’m currently working on your lesson entitled Slap & Pop Bass - Bad vs Good Technique. As you quoted, I have working material for months. Thank you for these great lessons.

8 Likes

Welcome @crippledring

Nice looking bass you have there :+1:

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @crippledring,
Enjoy the ride, nice bass👍
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Welcome @crippledring

6 Likes

:slight_smile:

5 Likes

Many thanks for the warm welcome from everyone :+1:

Just on Module 4 now and really enjoy it. I’m trying to fully get to grips with every lesson rather than racing through, hopefully that’s the way forward.

9 Likes

You are about to meet Billie Jean. She has inspired many threads and posts around here. Including this one… Billie Jean is a Wicked Mistress.

When it happens, worry not, for we are here for you. :rofl: :+1:

11 Likes

Wow, whole bunch of new people since I been away.
Welcome to all of you dating back to @Mike_NL.
I am not strong enough yet to go back and make individual tags for you all, but I would that I could.
Welcome to each and everyone of you.

8 Likes