Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

I’m Anestis, from Canberra (ACT), Australia.

And despite what many people in the US think, Canberra is Australia’s Capital city, not Sydney.

I was originally born in Melbourne, and my immediate family still lives there.
50 years old, decided to start learning the bass guitar because the Guitar is too hard (tried when I was a teenager and could never get the hang of the F chord). Also learning to help deal with my depression and help improve my mental health.

I know some theory and can keep a beat.

I am also learning to speak and read Japanese.

Other interests are tabletop roleplaying (think Dungeons and Dragons, but different settings and sytems), video/computer games, reading, watching TV shows and movies., and good company.

Also trying to learn to draw but that’s on hold.

I work in IT support and have a keen interest in tech.

That’s about it from me.

Anything else feel free to ask.

13 Likes

Hi @eric.kiser. Thanks for the link. I met Billie Jean on Friday evening. It did not go well. Knowing that it wasn’t just me was exactly what I needed. Onwards!

8 Likes

Welcome to the forums @Anestis.
Good to see another member from down under :+1:

6 Likes

Welcome to the community @Anestis!

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @Anestis,
I thought Melbourne was the original capital :thinking:
If it’s not it now ,it probably should be, I hear it’s the best city in Australia.
Enjoy the ride.
Cheers Brian

9 Likes

Hey Jerry, @JerryP,
I can see you laughing at my comment.:grin:
Hope your well.
Cheers Brian

8 Likes

Welcome. its good to keep busy and the bass is frustrating and gratifying at the same time, have fun and if there are any issues there are a good bunch of inspiring and helpful bassists here.

10 Likes

Welcome @Anestis . Bass and music in general is amazing for mental health! I didn’t realize how much so till recently.

Glad you’re here!

9 Likes

Welcome on board @Anestis!

9 Likes

Welcome @Anestis

8 Likes

Welcome @Anestis

8 Likes

Welcome @Anestis!

8 Likes

@TNKA36. Don’t let Sydney people hear you say Melbourne is the best city.
(FYI, Melbourne and Sydney have a long-standing rivalry over which city is the best).

8 Likes

I spent a week in Sydney in 1969 (R&R from Vietnam) and often heard the locals make that assertion. I regret never having visited Melbourne.

6 Likes

Hi Pam @PamPurrs,
I hope you can make it to Melbourne one day👍
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

I know @Anestis,
I live in Melbourne :grin:
Cheers Brian

6 Likes

Hi everyone!

Kevin here from the Finger Lakes region in Upstate NY. My story so far; I have always wanted to learn the bass since my high school days but at the end of last year got serious about it. I had a used cheap bass and a guitar amp to get started that were both given to me. I searched around and found online 1 on 1 lessons via Skype. I stuck with that until this month where I realized I am not learning fast enough to justify private lessons. I need to take a step back and really get some seriously structured practice for this stuff to stick. I had never even held a bass until last year let alone looked at music theory and to learn both all at once with two young kids and work was to much.

I am really looking forward to learning at my own pace and having the ability to rewatch lessons. I know a little about technique and a little about theory from lessons but nothing enough to be confident in any one thing. Most of all I am looking for a group of people to ask questions to when I get stuck or something doesn’t make sense. I didn’t have great mid week communication with my teacher and struggled for feedback. I seem to do a lot better with some sort of feedback from peers or teachers on a more regular basis.

I am looking forward learning from all of you and from Josh. His you tube videos seem to be refreshing and right up my alley on humor and content!

11 Likes

Welcome aboard @lusecannon. The B2B course is the best . I love going at my own pace and going back to modules I did “ok” at to see my improvement. And its real music that makes playing in fun and inspiring

6 Likes

Welcome @lusecannon

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @lusecannon,
You have come to the right place to learn at your own pace.
Josh’s laid back style and the information within the modules is easy to follow.
You will actually find it very motivating to push on, its a bit of a trap like that, but for all the right reasons.
You will have struggles, but as Josh says, move on and return to the areas later.
Everyone on this forum has completed or is in the process of completing it and will always provide support.
There are heaps of threads that can help you along your journey.
Enjoy the ride.

Cheers Brian.

7 Likes