Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome to all the people who joined during the past week or so. I’ve been very busy outside of the forum, so I’ve missed many of your introductions.

{{Group Hug}}

9 Likes

let’s roll :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Greetings, Earthlings!
I’m a 68 y.o. old phart, ex-drummer (35+ years) who can’t do a long roll anymore, but I can pluck with the best beginners out there. I have a solid musical background, so the counting and tab reading are a breeze for me. I am really making progress with this course. I can thank the 'Rona for the inspiration to do what I’ve been subconsciously wanting to do for years. I love the Bass, and am having a blast learning to play along.
Let’s PLAY!
:guitar:

13 Likes

Welcome aboard, @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou . . . :slight_smile:

You have plenty of company . . . lots of us started (or renewed) our interest in playing bass later on in life.

See you around the Forums and good luck in the course!

Cheers
Joe

8 Likes

Welcome @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou

6 Likes

Glad you are here @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou

6 Likes

Just a suggestion…besides learning on excellent bass instruction websites like this one, give Rocksmith a try. You learn how to play many of your favorites of your choosing on bass or guitar. Helped me huge along with bass websites and some bass books.

6 Likes

Welcome @NipperDog and @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou

6 Likes

Welcome aboard @NipperDog,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Welcome aboard @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Hello Alex,

What kind of pimping have you done? I 've just changed strings to a lower gauges 45-100 (A friend of mine told me that it’s a little hack for a few months when my fingers aren’t used to strumming.) nickel/steel roundwounds and switched default “starter pack” strap with some wide Ibanez one. (And ofc. these black/white Fender locks just for aesthetics.) I would really like to switch the neck and especially headstock (need black one :smiley: … ) in the future but for now, the change of strings and strap made quite a big difference.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou!

5 Likes

Welcome everybody who joined in the last 10-11 days. seems like a lot, and too long a read for me right now, still a little fuzzy in the head right now.
Or maybe a different word that still starts with FU is a better way to say it.

But welcome to all of you, sorry for no personal tags.

7 Likes

Hi @ThatsMrOldPhartToYou and welcome to the forum. May be you are not only a badass bassplayer even a super badass bassplayer. :+1: Enjoy the course. Best wishes - BassPlayinSeal

7 Likes

I just bought that same Fender PJ Bass. It was 99% setup for me, just had to lower the E and G strings a 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Love how it plays.
I had an Ibanez bass for a week before I sent it back. The darned nut was eating up my hand whenever I was on the 1st fret of the G string. The Fender daoesn’t have that problem.

7 Likes

I bought my Yamaha bass from Sweetwater and it included their 55 Point Inspection. Do any of you know if it arrives already set up?

7 Likes

@NipperDog . . . It goes through their 55 point inspection which includes checking the intonation and truss rod, which is pretty much a setup . . . all are set and checked to factory specs. They don’t adjust the action though, thats up to the buyer.

A “real” setup is extra cost. You could specify the action, neck relief, the type of strings, etc. but their inspection is on point :+1:

When I got my bass, it was perfect, except the G string was a little flat . . :grin: After a few weeks of use, I lowered the action to where it was comfortable for me.

HTH and all best,
Joe

5 Likes

Thanks @Jazzbass19, that’s very helpful. I should be able to adjust the action without any problems. Is the string height measure from the metal frets themselves, or the fretboard? Do you know the height that the strings should be set to?

4 Likes

@NipperDog . . . You can adjust the action by raising or lowering the small screws on the saddles for each string at the bridge. Each manufacturer has their own spec for that setting as a starting point. I don’t know what it is for Yamaha (and you could look it up), but the best thing to do is to go by how it feels to YOU when you’re playing it . . . :slight_smile:

I lowered my action a little at a time until it just “felt right” to me . . . you will find your own preferences as time goes by!

HTH and all best,
Joe

4 Likes

Thanks Joe, that makes perfect sense.

4 Likes