Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome! No, it’s never too late to learn something new. I started learning bass at 70

5 Likes

That’s indeed my intention :grin:

2 Likes

Hi everyone,

I started B2B a few weeks ago and really loving every minute of it! Years ago I already played some bass and had a nice teacher but stopped because you know other live stuff.
So now I’ve got a little bit more time on my hands and why not play some music with them ;-). So I decided to search for some online bass lessons and stumbled on YT on Josh’s very informative video’s. I also really liked Josh his teaching style a lot.
In the first 2 modules I already learned some things my teacher never told me so I really dig this lessons right now. So very excited to be here and also be a part of this awesome bass community.
Next month I will be jamming with two friends of mine who play drums and guitar so I have to be ready (haha a little bit is enough). Also browsing this forum is being very helpfull because there is a lot of information.

Thanks to you all!

Marco

9 Likes

Welcome @Marco

3 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @Marco . . . :slight_smile:

Yes indeed, I found Josh’s lessons to be very helpful, and am still working to break some bad habits I developed a very long time ago. Good luck in the course and hope you have a great time jamming with your friends later on!

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @Mark_D! I think you’ll get used to the platform pretty fast, I’ve found it a lot more intuitive than other forums I’ve used in the past. And the people here are nice as hell. :slight_smile:

Welcome to the course and the forum @dancummings.dc! I assume the DC is for Doctor of Chiropractic? Curious if you have any thoughts on bass technique and arm health as you go, feel free to start a thread on the topic in the Technique forum.

Welcome Doug @willief320! “Never too late to learn” indeed.

Welcome @Marco! Glad you’re digging the course, and that’s awesome you have a jam coming up! A month should be plenty of time to get ready if you cram a bit. :stuck_out_tongue: Module 15 is all about jamming.

2 Likes

Cheers Josh. Yes I’m getting my head around it ok now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hello everyone!

I’ve been playing bass a week and coincidentally (or not) I have also been going through B2B for that very same week (shocking right??). Actually, it was Josh’s youtube videos that turned me on to the idea that I too could learn to play.

Anyway, I finally noticed the “forum” button and decided to give it a click this morning. After reading through a bunch of other introductions I thought it might be a good idea to join everyone. So here goes:

My name is John (Hi!). I am an American living in China with my wife now for 3 years. She is Chinese (I am not). She is very musically gifted (I am not). I used to teach university here in China but have since retired (she has not…retired from her business that is).

My hobbies include bass (of course), taekwondo (2nd degree black belt), cycling, caring for my bonsai, and drinking tea/coffee. In fact, that is mostly what I spend my time doing nowadays.

I’ve played multiple instruments in my life, mostly when I was younger. My family is musical but I guess I am the runt (or perhaps very late bloomer!). As a child, I tried my hand (or was forced to sometimes) at drums, guitar, saxophone, and piano but not in any particular order or timeframe. Meanwhile, my wife owns 2 guitars, a piano, and box and african drums.

I guess my goal in bass is that I would like to be able to play competently with my wife. My rhythm is just so gosh darn bad though. I can follow lessons well enough but put on a random beat and I feel like I am losing my mind.

Anyway, that’s a bit about me. I’m a bit chatty, if you couldn’t tell.

9 Likes

Welcome @jhcook4

3 Likes

Welcome @marco and @jhcook4! You are in the right place!

@jhcook4 Don’t worry too much about getting the rhythm. Some people may say you either have rhythm or you don’t. I assure you, this is not true. It is a skill just like anything else and the more you work on it, the more natural it begins to feel.

And… Yes! When you finish the course you will certainly be able to play competently with your wife.

8 Likes

Josh, no chiropractor here. LoL just my initials because the email name was taken. Loving the course. 3 days in and I am already in module 4. I’ve had some vocal music theory and just “hear” the bass, so it’s coming easy so far.

2 Likes

Ok, I guess I might as well jump all the way in if I’m going to try and do this!

My name is Brandon, I am 31 and I describe my abilities as “Musically Retarded”.

When I was about 12-13, I bought a super cheap Squire Electric Guitar and tried to teach myself how to play without an amp and using books from the public library. It didn’t go well. I tried drums for about 30 minutes a few years later, which just cemented my in ability to do much at all music wise. Years later, I needed to buy a white electric guitar on very short notice (got it signed by my favorite band, P.O.D.) and the only thing I could get my hands on came with a very small practice amp. Which I has been following me around for the last 8-10 years.

I have been toying with the idea of trying to learn bass for the last few years for some reason. It always appealed to me. I like the sound, the rhythm , and it always felt like it was almost a mix between a stringed instrument and a percussion instrument. The band Korn really made me enjoy bass lines and how it can sound. So I finally decided to take the plunge.

I found the Bass Buzz video on good beginner basses and was set on getting the Yamaha TRBX304, but I couldn’t find one locally and I am a bit impulsive, so I wound up getting an Ibanez SR370E in Aged Whiskey Burst (beautiful color and name, btw). Hopefully it isn’t as awful as the GSR series that was reviewed in the showdown.

I went ahead and bought the Beginner to Badass course after spending a few days aimlessly searching youtube and finding lots of videos that had no sort of rhyme, reason, or logical progression. I figured my time was worth the cost of this program if it works, and if it does not, then the money back guarantee.

Hopefully even someone like me can make this program work. And hopefully you guys don’t mind a lot of questions.

8 Likes

Welcome to the forum @brandoncmurphy . Ask all the question you want… we’re here to support each other.

You’ll find the B2B course to be very well structured, and Josh is a great teacher. Enjoy!

3 Likes

@brandoncmurphy Welcome!
I expect you will be pleasantly surprised. Not only at the course itself but eventually being able to see how your previous experience with guitar and drums begins to gel with what you learn on bass. The further you move through the course, the more all of it makes sense.

4 Likes

You’re in the right place here, @brandoncmurphy! :wink:

Welcome aboard and good luck to you with the lessons!

All best, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome John @jhcook4! We’ve got a small handful of martial artists here, I don’t really count as one but I studied JKD + assorted arts for a year or so recently. Wish I was still doing it but too busy concocting bass lessons lately.

And your rhythm will get better as you go! We’ll work on that specifically later in the course too.

And haha @dancummings.dc, gotcha. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Welcome @brandoncmurphy! I was super into P.O.D. when I got into rock as a teenager. The SR basses are great! The GSR is a huge level down, in my experience. Enjoy the course and fire away with questions. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to all of the new soon to be bass badasses to the forum, this is an extremely friendly and knowledgable bunch around here! You’re definitely in the right place!

2 Likes

Hello all! I’m Dan. I’m 46 and reside north of Houston, Texas. I’m actually quite musical, but that hasn’t kept my total lack of discipline from screwing up my every attempt at playing an instrument. I’ll spare you the bio. Suffice it to say, I’ve tried on and off since I was about 16. Now 30 years later I’m ready to try again.

I’m actually fairly confident I’ll make some progress this time, largely because of availability of quality and flexible instruction available. There’s no way I can afford private lessons, and my personality is such that I’m not really that interested in that right now anyway. I like being able to engage as many senses as possible, and the internet allows me to conveniently watch, listen, and read and then replay it as often as I like at whatever speed I want. Very helpful. Especially when patience is also something I struggle with at times. :slight_smile:

My goals right now include little more than being able to play some of my favorite songs for myself. It’s both therapeutic and expressive (which can be the same thing, I suppose). One day, who knows? Not going to worry about “one day” right now.

Apart from teaching myself bass and guitar, I own and run a boutique speakers bureau, and I’m starting to work in voice over. I have a wonderful wife of 16 years and two girls, 13 and 11. I’ve tried to keep it God, family, and fun to the best of my ability. That often means I have to add “frugal” to the end of that line, but fair enough.

Looking forward to jumping into the lessons and getting to know y’all a little better around here. Thanks!

10 Likes

Welcome to the forum!

2 Likes

Welcome Dan! And, I think you have my favorite BassBuzz handle.

2 Likes