Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Haha! Ya, it’s a fun one. Thanks. Glad to be here. Seems like a great group.

1 Like

Gidday folks.

Matt from Australia here. I used to play a lot as a teenager, including many paid gigs. Next minute, life happened several times and now I’m in my 50s and this will be the third time I’ve learned to play bass. 14 year break this time. It feels weird having to start again. :crazy_face:

I’m currently studying a double degree in engineering and data science at university, although I’ve had a tech background my entire life. :slight_smile:

My first ever bass was a black Hondo P bass with matching headstock, black pickguard, and maple fretboard. Currently I have a few Deans from the early 2000s. Favourite is a Brian Bromberg 4 string (basically a fancy Korean made neckthrough J bass). Yes, I know the Edge 10 got a poor review here, but the older, Korean made stuff was pretty good. Dream bass is a Stingray that looks like my old Hondo. Mostly using a headphone amp these days, but I have a pair of Eden D112XLTs, a 1000W poweramp, and a tube pre/tube compressor if I feel like getting loud.

Found my way here from Josh’s Youtube videos. I once had to do an online multimedia presentation for uni. It gives me a huge respect for what it takes to produce something as polished as what Josh and crew are doing. Well done, team!

I probably can’t afford Josh’s course for a while. The Australian dollar is in the toilet, and funds are tight as a student. :frowning: That’s not to say that the course is expensive - in the grand scheme of things, face to face lessons would cost FAR more. This course seems very reasonably priced. :+1:

12 Likes

Welcome aboard, @matthew . . . :slight_smile:

You’ll enjoy the course after you get your funds together later on! In the meanwhile, there’s lots of great people here and a wealth of information for you to browse.

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

I’m 46. I’m a nurse. I’m a grandpa. I like the bass, but the bass doesn’t like me. mic drop

9 Likes

:rofl::metal:

1 Like

image.png

Sean from along the Mississippi River here in Driftless Area of southwestern Wisconsin. Been playing bass and other instruments for about 30 years more or less on and off. Self taught but i always wished i would have taken lessons, you know, learned from someone who had the big picture in mind from the beginning, instead of picking things up piecemeal like did. Going through the beginner stuff again at age 59 is great, i’m really enjoying it! And that bit about always wearing a strap might have been worth the tuition right there. I often play sitting down and usually just grab the guitar and go but as soon as i put the strap on i could feel my playing improve instantly. I walked away from music at one point because i told myself im never going to be really good at this. When i came back to it i realized this was some old cultural programming and what i really wanted from music was not recognition but fun. And the more fun it became the better i seemed to get. And i’ve tried to keep it that way ever since. Recently read Victor Wooten’s book “the Music Lesson” which was an inspiration to me. I’m also a big fan of Non-Violent Communication and was jazzed up to see that reference in Josh’s intro! My favorite things besides bass playing are snowboarding and inline skating. Love the teaching style, this seems like a great format!

10 Likes

Welcome @TK42DAN! Good to have you here, I’m sure we’ll have some nerdy speakers discussion where you’re needed. :stuck_out_tongue: EDIT: You meant speakers as in “public speaking,” oops. :man_facepalming:

And welcome/gidday @matthew!

@rickpalacios1973, that’s the first mic drop in BassBuzz Forum history. Congrats :champagne:

Welcome Sean @techquaikachi! Love that Pablo Casals quote.

4 Likes

Hi everyone!

My name is Patricia, I’m 48 and from the Netherlands. Ever since I was little I was singing. First in a children’s choir and a curch choir and after that an a cappella group.
When I was in highschool I was a singer in a coverband with my friends. Even played some gigs at local bars, pretty bad ass hey?

Next to my love for singing I always had a fascination for the bass. When we were rehearsing a song I would also hear the bass above the other instruments. And when I hear a song on the radio and I instantly like it, it mostly has a wicked bassline.

When my husband followed his dream and started playing guitar a few months ago, something within me sparkled. I couldn’t deny it anymore, I just had to learn to play the bass.

I’ve finished module 2 now and I’m looooovin’ it! Couldn’t be happier. And very glad I picked this course.

14 Likes

How goes it Josh,
Been playing for years, but finally wanted to up my game and I am up to the 3rd module of Beginner to BadAss. I was playing a gig out in Milwaukee and while playing it hit me, that I can play better then this, and I look forward to completing all the modules & leveling-up to BassAss. Never took lessons and I have quite a stock pile of bad habits

Eddy Joe McCabe , New York City

10 Likes

Welcome Patricia and Eddy. Great to have even more international diversity and musical ability added to this great mix.

1 Like

Hello Patricia and welcome to the group :smiley:

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @emccabe375 . . . :slight_smile:

We hope you enjoy your time with us, and good luck in the course!

Cheers, Joe

1 Like

Welcome @ptreez and @emccabe375! You’ve come to the “Right Place for all things Bass”!! Not to mention all the support from everyone on the forum…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

1 Like

@emccabe375 Welcome

1 Like

Welcome Patricia @ptreez! Glad you’re enjoying the course. :slight_smile:

Welcome Eddy @emccabe375! I’m interested to hear what nuggets you get out of the course as someone who’s already played some gigs, please share as you get further along! Good luck with the bad habits, they can be tenacious. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Greetings to you all from northeast Ohio.

Joined up a week ago 60 something here and sort of new to bass, been hacking away on 6 string guitar since my early 40’s, and now hacking on bass …not the best player on either, but I have fun.
Took a few lessons on bass, the but teacher was in his 20’s and was more fascinated by stories of the bands I grew up on in the 70’s. Cool guy, learned a few things but that only went so far. Now mainly play by ear, tab and a few you tube vids. Played with some friends but the drummer moved out of state, so thats done and have no guts to play at local jam sessions, so I mainly play for my cats.

Have some interest to try Josh’s lessons and learn more detailed things but not even sure I could dedicate myself to a regimented time to do, I tend to drift, so playing is basically a light hobby for me.

I have a Fender Jazz reissue '75 and Squier Matt Freeman P bass plus a Rumble 100 that stays mainly low in the volume category ( why I bought that, I’ve no clue:roll_eyes:)

I enjoy reading of other peoples experiences with the bass here, way better then on Talk Bass, too many posts and threads there and bad attitudes from many. I had my account deleted after one week, i felt it was that bad.

Anyway, the ramble will come to an end here. I mainly read but may occasionally drop something to add to the mix.

Oh, and “Frisk Cat” was the name of a hoagie from a, now closed, sub shop in a neighboring city, it was fantastic!!

Thanks for reading.

8 Likes

Welcome to the Forums, @Frisk_Cat . . . :slight_smile:

I’m sure you’ll enjoy your time here! :wink:

All best, Joe

Welcome @Frisk_Cat! I hear you about the trouble of finding a regimented time to practice, I’ve struggled with that myself plenty, even as a professional musician. Good luck!

@Frisk_Cat Welcome to the BassBuzz forums!

We have some people that started with something smaller than the Rumble 100 and then upgraded to the Rumble 100 after finishing the course and were glad they did. Here is one of those discussions… Rumble 100

I have some health issues and I had some of the same concerns. After I watched some of Josh’s YoutTube videos I was pretty sure I wanted him as a teacher. Then I read here on the forum about other peoples experiences. Finally, it came down to getting lifetime access so I could move at my own pace and the 1 year money back guarantee because I didn’t want to get burned.

Now that I’m over half way through the course, I think it was the best money and time I’ve ever spent on music.

Good luck @Frisk_Cat. Even if you don’t do the course you are still welcome to read and participate on the forums. Glad to have you.

4 Likes

Thanks to to all for the welcome. There are merits to having a course with lifetime access, I will think on it. First off though, a snow shovel is the instrument of the morning. Stupid snow. :disappointed:

5 Likes