Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

As far as buying more Basses and Pedals than you need, Amps, recording equipment (although, you need some to record your progress), I look at it the same as how John said it above.

It is a 2nd hobby, similar, but much different to actually playing bass. As long as you don’t get jaded, and believe that a better (or more expensive) bass, and more pedals is going to make you a better bass player, you are fine to do what you want, and can afford comfortably.
But rest assured, that only practice with goals, and proper material / exercises / focus is the only way to learn, and excel to becoming a better bass player.
But, as long as you separate the two (except where they naturally overlap), then you are not doing anything wrong.
Some people collect instruments of all types, and don’t play one.

It is very good to point this out to new people, so they understand Need vs. perceived need, and both of those vs. WANT.

Plus, although it is fun, and you are technically learning (how to use effects, and what sounds you like), it is not considered bass practice.

Also
Side note: Using heavy effects can and will hide mistakes, and can slow your progress if you don’t work on proper technique, muting, fretting pressure, plucking location, etc… So, its fun to jam a song with distortion, and let it make you sound great, but IMO, you need to be able to play the song clean, with no effects in order to really be able to play the song.
And to that matter, bass doesn’t always sound great without the mix. Listen to many of the bass covers, against the bass ONLY covers from people like Cover Solutions. The song I first recorded, when I head the bass track, I thought it was garbage, but when I listened to the bass only track, most of the clackety clack, and string noise I had (you will almost always have some, especially with aggressive playing styles), were the same on the bass only track, so don’t get too discouraged, and keep expectations in line.

6 Likes

Hey everyone!
Josh, while watching videos of Louis Johnson online, I noticed he frequently fretted the E string with his thumb. Is this a technique or a “Thunder Thumbs” thing? Just curious - Brad

9 Likes

Welcome @Rough_n .
If you want to ask Josh a question directly, you will need to flag him like this @JoshFossgreen

Hope you enjoy it on the forum.

4 Likes

Thanks, glad to be here

5 Likes

Hello, Brad here
I’ve put in twenty plus years between the Marine Corps and Army. I enjoy Krav Maga, photography, and history. I was that kid who would listen to songs over and over to memorize the bass line and air bass my way to happiness. I’m 100% new to the bass playing and not sure why I waited this long to actually do something about it, but I’m super glad I did!!!

10 Likes

Welcome @Rough_n, we are glad you did too.
Thanks for your service

4 Likes

Welcome @Rough_n

5 Likes

Welcome @Rough_n !

5 Likes

Glad you are here @Rough_n

6 Likes

Welcome @Sue ! Watch out for @PamPurrs - she’s the worst offender and has cost me hundreds in my pursuit of this hobby/profession/obsession!

Just kidding Pam! She’s been brilliant in answering my questions and guiding me on this journey!!

9 Likes

First off, welcome to the forum.
Are taking the B2B course?

This is off topic for this thread and it is best to start a new topic to keep all of the replies in one spot but Re. your question - Are you sure he is fretting the E string or just touching it to mute it?
If he is fretting it, I think it would be an awkward technique to use and possible RSI comes to mind.

3 Likes

Welcome @Rough_n and thank you for your service. Army gal here.

6 Likes

@Celticstar , Yes I am taking the B2B course. I’m not trying to emulate him, just a curious observation. He very well may be muting the e string. Thanks for replying!

6 Likes

@PamPurrs Thanks great to be here!

6 Likes

The guy that played Billie Jean live, used his thumb to fret the lower octave on the E string, so it is done, not norm, but yes, it is done.

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @Rough_n ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Hi Everyone,
Just joining the chat here…been taking the amazing Josh’s course and loving it. Josh you’re an excellent teacher/communicator so thank you for making music fun for me again.
I do have a question for anyone who can offer advice: I found a 94 Peavey Fury for sale, with gig case for $400. It’s listed as great condition with great “growl” and tone. Does that price seem high for a Fury?
Thanks to anyone who can weigh in…

13 Likes

Welcome @drjkling

6 Likes

Thanks! Happy to be here

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @drjkling ,
enjoy the ride,
one of the tech guys will help you out with the fury, maybe Howard @howard ,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes