Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Just did a google search on the Peavey fury and that sounds a little expensive imo,
they are suggesting around $150-$200
cheers Brian

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum.

Peavey’s are good basses, but the Fury was sort of a budget model FWIU. I have looked into a few of them, and have seen them run that high, but also have seen them around $200, in pretty good shape.
If it was a Grind or Cirrus (like Josh’s bass), then that would be a good deal for Grind and really good for Cirrus, for the Fury, I would say it is not necessarily overpriced, but it does not appear to be a great deal.
This is just based on what little I know about them, and I know they are good, maybe somebody else has more knowledge about prices for them.

5 Likes

hey, thanks for the feedback. The search I did came up with about the same conclusion so I guess I’ll stay in look out mode for something else. I have a cheap Silvertone that my son bought used and that’s been fun but I really want to find my bass now. Time to hit the music store which could get dangerous lol.

6 Likes

Isn’t that usually the case :wink:

5 Likes

New guy learning the bass here! The lessons seem really good and fun to follow.

I played guitar right-handed from about 1984 to 1990ish did ok, well good enough to be in a band, do some shows and record a couple of demo releases. Thrash Metal :slight_smile: Chemical Annhilation if you’re interested in looking it up.

Playing right-handed was always a giant struggle and never easy.

Recently I got interested in playing again and decided to try left-handed guitar – wow this seems like it’s coming together faster for me.

Then I decided to also try the left-handed bass guitar and I found it was the instrument I should have been playing! So now I am a bass player and getting up to speed using the lessons on the website.

For a person wondering left or right - Think about the following
When you clap your hands which hand is on top?
When eating how does it feel to eat with your off-hand compared to your dominant hand?
How well do you throw a ball with your off-hand?

I think the strumming/picking hand actually has the more “technical” job and it needs to be your dominant hand. That’s my 2 cents, I worked my ass off trying to play right-handed years ago and did OK but left-handed would have been a better choice. (For me)

Later,
Jeff

15 Likes

Welcome @drjkling

Welcome @jeff7 .
Loving that matt black

5 Likes

@Mac
The big downside of being a lefty player is bass choices are limited but I was really happy to find this one.

6 Likes

Glad you are here @jeff7

6 Likes

It’s hard enough seeing a selection of basses at most music stores here so I can only begin to imagine the problems finding a left handed one @jeff7

6 Likes

Welcome.

Ha Ha, that was me, but change it from 1990 to 1993 ish, and no demo’s, and I am right handed. and the band was SHAFT (Helmet was big back then. LOL, real original, huh), thrash and punk. did a parody of Pantera’s This Love (These Nuts :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: )

Agree with the dominant hand being the plucking / picking hand, there are lots of Thrash / Metal / Punk chugging patterns, with missed 1/8 and / or 1/16 notes that I sometimes struggle with, using my dominant hand plucking, and there is no freaking way I could do that, or pick with my left hand.

Yeah, couple lefty’s on the forum. @sfadams plays lefty drums too, its cool to watch his dual Drum / Bass parts in covers with split screen (or he has an evil twin running around)
But
I say you guys just get right handed basses that you like, replace the nut, turn the pick up around and bridge if necessary, and go HENDRIX on that thing. Then you are not so limited
Or leave the pick up and come up with crazy tone :rofl:

Some models with even horns, or smaller upper horns and even larger lower horns, are actually ok if flipped. You could change the headstock too.

Maybe start building basses from Kit’s or piece them together with parts.

6 Likes

Welcome @jeff7

7 Likes

Welcome aboard @jeff7 ,
Enjoy the ride,
Cheers Brian

3 Likes

Thanks. Heh, I should hire you to do my PR!

5 Likes

:joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

I’m genuinely surprised that MusicMan is not knocking down @T_dub 's door :smiley:

6 Likes

Hey Brad! I actually covered that exact topic in my latest Youtube video!
The 10 Rules of Bass Playing (That Pros Break)

7 Likes

Hi Josh,
Thanks, I’ll check it out. I’m still fairly new in the B2B course, but pumped about learning!!!

6 Likes

Ha, I would be happy if they just knew who I was. Not likely tho.

3 Likes

Hi. My name is Craig and I’m in my early 40’s. I’ve always been in awe of anyone who can play instruments and for as long as I can remember, I’ve always loved the drums and the bass. When I was 19, I bought my first bass; a Cort something, and a really cheap, used amp. I was a college student on a budget, so I couldn’t afford lessons. I ended up buying some video lessons on VHS and started practicing a little… just enough to learn the open strings and how to finger pluck. But school and life caught up to me and the bass fell to the way side. Even then, I never lost my love of the instrument.

Fast forward to Christmas of 2019 and my wife got me a bass (Ibanez). Each day, I would tell myself that I would start playing soon, but I never did. It ended up sitting for an entire year, and I decided that I couldn’t let this opportunity pass by. I started doing research online, searching YouTube for any kind of bass tutorials/lessons I could find. That’s when I came across one of Josh’s videos. I liked and subscribed right away. After watching about 10 videos, I decided to purchase his Bass to Badass course. I’m about 4 months in and I just started Section 3 - Module 11.

I can’t stress enough how happy I am that I found this course. I’ve learned so much about music theory and how it applies to the bass. Josh is an excellent instructor and finds a way to make it all interesting and fun.

17 Likes

Welcome @craig.lox, glad you are here.

Soon, you will get to be in awe of yourself, as YOU will be a badass bass player.

7 Likes