Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Welcome! Thanks for your service!!

7 Likes

Hi I’m new here. I’ve had 2 professional teachers on paid for lessons.

One I lost touch with over covid, although I very much had the feeling like I was a number with him. In, pay, leave.

The second guy, amazingly talented, super knowledgeable but too heavily focused on the theory.

Hoping that beginner to badass will be the break through that I’m looking for.

So here’s to a grumpy middle aged man, who has been around the bands and the music industry in personal and professional capacity yet still can’t play an instrument, finding his way and amusing himself.

13 Likes

Welcome, @Draven. Very glad you’re here. You’ve come to the right place! Josh is an amazing teacher and B2B will get you learning and playing in no time. Make yourself at home and ask anything. Our B2B gang is always eager to help. Enjoy!

7 Likes

You will love the personal approach Josh has during his lessons. I too am a middle aged old fart that always wanted to play bass but could just never get around to it. Now, it is an obsession. I spend way too much money but have a blast while doing it. Welcome to the nicest forum on the webz!

6 Likes

Thanks guys. Yes I’ve really enjoyed the free stuff Josh has up on YouTube and his presenting style on there was the final clincher for me.

I checked SBL but it seem to jazz focused (I’m a metal head and have been since I was 11 years old)

Talking Bass was a close second for me, Mark seems pretty cool. Loads of resources and lots of metal tracks to learn but the path didn’t seem as clear.

8 Likes

Mark Smith’s courses are definitely next-level learning material, following B2B. That’ll become clearer when you go through Josh’s lessons, where you will learn a ton.

7 Likes

Welcome @Draven

7 Likes

TalkingBass is graduate school after you finish B2B. Or, you can do as I did and take one of his courses concurrent with B2B (I took the scales course while taking B2B).-

8 Likes

Welcome @Draven

7 Likes

Great to have you here @Draven

7 Likes

Hi everyone!

Way back in '78/'79 I saw Yes in Chicago...6th row from the circular stage! Chris Squire blew me away!! It was so loud and **DEEP** I knew then and there that I wanted to play bass! Well I was 13 and influenced by my friends like anyone else... They said guitar is better so I went that route off and on for over 40 years...never getting anywhere. 
In 2020 before COVID,I finally bought my self an Ibanez GSR200B...my father's day present.. I picked it because it felt good in my hands. 
I've been taking lessons for about a year and a half...on the 3rd book of Hal Lenord bass right now. I've learned more on the bass than I ever did on the guitar.

Went on you tube and found some cool English dudes and Josh. I really like Josh’s style, humor, way of teaching, and all the vids.

Thanks Josh!
Glad to be here!

Brad from Illinois

11 Likes

Welcome, @Braddaddy. Glad you found B2B. Josh is something else, and our group of Buzzers is the best. Have fun!

6 Likes

Welcome to the subterranean abyss @Braddaddy

6 Likes

Great to have you here @Braddaddy

6 Likes

welcome @Draven @Braddaddy

8 Likes

Welcome @Braddaddy

6 Likes

Welcome @Braddaddy

6 Likes

Welcome to the family @Draven and @Braddaddy (I’m from Illinois too Brad)

8 Likes

Welcome to the community @Draven & @Braddaddy !

7 Likes

I played clarinet from 5th grade through HS and did pretty well at it. Picked up the large bass drum in marching band because I was big enough to carry it lol. Several years later, I sold off the student clarinet and bought a second-hand flute. For years I’ve wanted to pick up the bass guitar, but figured it was too steep an investment that my serial-hobbyist personality would just leave gathering dust.

A friend had been encouraging me for months to borrow one of his basses, but I never did more than say “Yeah, I should” and he just showed up with it one day. Like 3 days into playing that, I called up Sweetwater, ordered a setup, and here we are.

I’m in my 40s in the Denver, Colorado, US area. Kind of a weirdo, but outwardly a very standard suburban dad with an awkward fashion sense and love of ridiculous puns. I have ADHD (thus the serial hobbies) and work in tech.

Since my bass showed up a couple weeks ago, I’ve been practicing between 30 and 90 minutes a day. I hope to get up to an intermediate level at least before my enthusiasm wanes and being able to play bass becomes yet another “fun fact” about me.

14 Likes