Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hi All,

I’m Timberfist. I have a birthday coming up and… well, you can probably guess the rest.

I would describe myself as a multi-instrumentalist. Put another way, I own multiple instruments I can’t play. Yamaha upright piano? Check! Fender MIM Baja Tele? Check! Ukulele imported all the way from Hawaii to Europe because, clearly, locally sourced ukuleles aren’t of the standard required by such a virtuoso? Check! I can’t play any of them. I’ve also owned a very nice set of drums in the past but sold them because drums are a lot harder to put in the corner and ignore.

So will bass be any different? Hell, I don’t know but the desire to play music is clearly there. I have to hit the jackpot eventually.

So I’m currently looking at two possibilities: a Fender Kingman or some breed of Fender Jazz Bass - not sure which one; I’m still trying to find where the price/performance sweet spot is. The Kingman is an interesting choice. Not only is it an acoustic but it’s also a short scale. It appeals to me because I’m not like the other girls. Mainly because I’m a 52 year old man. But I do like the pick up and play noodleability. Tonally, I’d probably prefer the Jazz Bass but I worry that the weight and the permanent tether would dissuade me from picking it up. Hmmmm.

Fortunately, I still have a few weeks to make my choice.

11 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Timberfist . . . :slight_smile:

Sounds as if you have a great interest in music, and glad that you’re with us!

Lots of material and ideas to read through here, and hope you’ll be able to get some more encouragement. (I lean towards the Jazz Bass, myself :wink: )

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes

Welcome @Timberfist!

2 Likes

Can I just say… that I hope your real, actual name is Timberfist. As an avid sci-fi, fantasy, D&D etc fan… this is one of the coolest names I’ve ever come across.

Bravo.

Also, welcome!
And - I’d recommend heartily in favor of the Jazz Bass! If turning on an amp and being plugged in is too much an obstacle to pick it up, well… they still sound pretty dang good just plunkin’ away no amp. About 75% as good as any acoustic-electric bass out there!!

7 Likes

@Timberfist Welcome to BassBuzz!

Shit yeah! I don’t even want to know your real name, because Timberfist is Bad Ass!

As to the bass choices, there are advantages to both. Having an acoustic around for that quick access is really nice and I’ve gotten a lot out of it for just that reason. However, it will never give you the sound of an electric bass. Also, there are times I want the focus that sitting down and plugging in gives me and it doesn’t give me that.

2 Likes

TimberFist! What a cool name for a bassist as he clenches beefy maple neck of his new bass!

3 Likes

Hey all,

Thanks for the lovely welcome and the advice. It’s very easy, when faced with the enormous amounts of choice online, to become overwhelmed when making a buying decision. It’s much more helpful hanging out on a cool, friendly forum like this one.

I’ll keep you updated.

7 Likes

Welcome @Timberfist! I hear you about the pick-up-and-play possibilities with the acoustic… but the Jazz bass is gonna sound so much better it might be more motivating!

Plus, if you get a passive Jazz (no batteries), you can leave it plugged into your amp, out on a music stand, so all you have to do is pick up the bass and hit the power on the amp.

2 Likes

I feel like you have probably already drawn a cartoon fantasy hero named Timberfist at some point, sounds like the kind of thing that would fit right in your canon…

2 Likes

For us Elder Scrolls geeks… Timberfist sounds like a good Nord name… No Milk Drinkers here!

And Welcome @Timberfist!

3 Likes

Hi I’m Lo, short for Loretta. People have come up with all sorts of variations for greetings for me, “Hi Lo”, and my friend from Hawaii says, “aLOha” :slight_smile:

I am a retired 62yrs young female and just picked up my first instrument in 50 years. .the acoustic bass guitar. I have the Breedlove Pursuit Acoustic bass. Since I’m just starting out, I didn’t want to be tied to an amp. We go camping a lot in our travel trailer, so I wanted to be able to take it with me. I like the blues and slow jazz style. I am really stoked on the Beginner to Badass Course! Lo

13 Likes

Welcome @Lo. You’ll find plenty of advice and supportive banter in here, and you’ll find plenty of like-minded folk with a lot of shared experiences.

It’ll be interesting to hear how you get on with the course exclusively on an acoustic; not most people’s first choice and it does come with some differences in terms of technique. If you’re interested in trying electric bass, you’ll find there are a few options that don’t require a big box on the floor - I haven’t plugged into my amp for months and play completely through my Mac and headphones, but there are more options.z

2 Likes

Thanks Pete! The acoustic bass does have the capability of being plugging into an amp or headphones. I’m trying the different options. I’m up for the challenge :slight_smile:

4 Likes

One of the reasons I wanted an Acoustic Bass… My wife and I are in our late 60’s and also retired. We too enjoy traveling in our motorhome where space is limited… No room for amps and gear!..

Anyway,… Welcome @Lo “Lo”… Great name for anyone wanting to play Bass! As @PeteP mentioned, you’re in a great place to learn and discuss bass. Good luck on the course - it’s a GREAT one, and Josh is a terrific teacher! There’s plenty of good support here!!

6 Likes

Welcome Lo!!! Acoustic bass as you first…interesting choice! You will LOVE B2B (Beginner 2 Badass). No kidding … I have taken several online courses/programs and Josh is BY FAR the best one.

2 Likes

Welcome to the Forums and good luck in the course, @Lo . . . :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Lo,

Welcome to the forum.

1 Like

How did I miss that? :smiley: I’m guessing Lo has heard them all - and is about to hear them all again. (but not from me) :zipper_mouth_face:

4 Likes

aLOha @Lo
Welcome to the community!
Jerry

1 Like

Good grief that is one nice acoustic bass. :+1: