Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hello ) I used to practice Kyokushin ( 7th Kyu), but then “i’ve got an arrow to the knee…”
Now my health condition (prefer not to talk much about that) does not allow me to be that active like some years ago. Nowadays i occasionally commute by bicycle or trying to walk as much as possible. Years of might and glory (if there even were times like that) are long gone :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, our long-suffering partners do sometimes struggle to understand our obsession with buying new gear! My wife is a saint — she would have to be, as I have 17 guitars, including five basses. However, we have now compromised — every time I buy a new one, I have to sell one of the existing ones. (Of course, this has become a necessity anyway, as my study / music room has simply run out of space! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My wife too, is a saint.

Last time I wanted to buy myself something, I rang her at work and said “I’m about to buy myself something, should I ask for permission or forgiveness?”

She replied “Forgiveness, always forgiveness.”

God, I love her :heart:

5 Likes

Hello all - I’ve loved the bass since I first discovered it as a teenager but always believed that I had no musical ability, and so never tried to play it myself (1st love of my life played the bass & still does) but I was inspired by someone who took up the piano at age 50 and his joy was obvious when he talked about it – I almost talked myself out of buying a bass & trying – and here I am, 52 years old with hands more suited to a ukulele, loving every minute I can practice on the bass & thrilled every time I recognize improvement in my playing. Also, I don’t need a second bass, but don’t you know I’d love to have more than one.
-Kirsten in the Pacific Northwest

13 Likes

That’s what this is about. Sounds like you aced it. :slight_smile:
Welcome.

3 Likes

Ha-ha! . . . Lots of us here say that very same thing :wink:

Welcome aboard and hope you enjoy your time with us!

Cheers, Joe

2 Likes

Welcome to the community Kirsten.

1 Like

Welcome @kbkashan!

1 Like

Welcome @medictrader, @kbkashan and @cheshirrrrre!!

@medictrader and @kbkashan good to see another person who is young at heart picking up the bass!! My wife thinks Im crazy and going thru a midlife crisis :slight_smile:

@cheshirrrrre … “an arrow thru the knee” huh! I see the Elder Scrolls reference there! I too am an adventuring bard in the lands of Tamriel! (I play Elder Scrolls online, as well as Oblivion, Skyrim…etc)

4 Likes

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome! If only I had video of the moment I told my husband: “I’m going to say something really weird. I want to buy a bass.” Not sure what he was expecting to hear after that intro, but he took it pretty well. Not sure how he’ll react when I bring home a Fender Jazz bass… maybe he won’t notice. (but then, our basement is full of power tools…)

6 Likes

LOL… sounds like my wife and I. I bought a short scale Ibanez, then after 5 months or so wanted a full size bass. So I got the “what do you need 2 basses for?” line of inquisition… do I dare tell her my next bass Im saving for is a Fender P-bass… LOL

4 Likes

Welcome Kirsten @kbkashan! Glad you’re here and loving the bass. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Howdy! I fell in love with the bass as a teen when I first heard Geddy Lee. The opening notes to Red Barchetta blew me away back then and still does today!!
Now at age 55, after years of trying to learn guitar off and on, I broke some bones in my fretting hand and had to give it up. “Glad” I did, I’m back to my first love and really enjoying learning from Josh! I too had taken lessons, became frustrated with music theory and gave up formal learning.
I use Rocksmith which really helps to learn songs, but it doesn’t help with “little” things like proper plucking, improv and oh yes, music theory - which turns out to be useful when not being crammed down your throat!! :grinning:
Hope to be able to play in a worship band and entertain myself attempting to play songs by Rush, Pink Floyd and Blues songs.
Just heard “The Chain” on the radio, love that bass solo…
Good luck all!

4 Likes

Welcome @biohazz65 !

1 Like

Welcome Kirsten @kbkashan. Great group here. Seems there are many 50 somethings that are coming back to music and the bass. I only started 3 weeks ago, already thinking about a 2nd bass.

2 Likes

Welcome @biohazz65! I am a Rocksmith user as well but found that I REALLY wanted to improve technique and learn some music theory and start to learn to read music. Found Josh’s videos online and checked out the website… havent looked back. Best money for lessons I have spent yet!

2 Likes

Hi my name is Denise 58 yr old I wanna learn the Bass .

6 Likes

Welcome @dee-noz. You’ve come to the right place.
Jerry

1 Like

Hey dee-noz, I also picked up a bass this week for the first time., Hopefully we’ll figure this thing out. Also 58 yrs old, just retired and lots of spare time. Best of luck

4 Likes

Welcome to all the new joiners!

1 Like