Introduce Yourself! (2024)

Welcome, @PapaBear. Glad you’re here. Enjoy your “route” to the root note!

6 Likes

My Gosh, so many names and profiles that I recognize. How COOL !!! And thanx to so many of you that I have had the pleasure of interacting with over the past three years.

My name is Travis and I have called the western slope of Colorado home now for 20+ years. I hit a deck of cards last July and that deck is chalk full of jokers.

My profile photo represents the logo ( hand,foot,ear ) for my biz as I am a body worker. Started with massage back in about 2009 and have continued my educational path ever since. The arrows in my quiver includes; Acupuncture, Rolfing, Chiropractic, Neuro Muscular, And Ortho-Bionomy

I cheerfully picked up the bass during C19 and noodled around with simply zero direction. Quickly landed on various YT channels and happily stumbled upon @JoshFossgreen . Signed up for bass buzz Aug of 2020 and I made Noobie Josh look like a pretty solid bassist. My timing was/ is atrocious , zero coordination between left and right hand , and the first few courses were completely Japanese to me. Right

Thankfully, I stuck with it and began to prevail little by little. I answered a Craigslist Ad last March of 2023 as a singer song writer was fishing for musicians. Definitely explained to him that I am NOT a bass player but if he was interested in someone that will play clean whole notes, I’m Your Guy.

He began sharing song structure, rhythm patterns, and options for me to explore. We then landed an electric guitar player that has been in bands all of his life and is thousands times better than the two of us. Its funny because he will play the baseline for me and I almost always reply with, " That is exactly the baseline but my fingers can’t play that."

We have been regularly practicing as a trio now for five months and we booked our first paying Gig this May of 2024 at our local winery. I freaked out because he mentions that we will have 3 sets of 11 songs for some righteous cash. I almost backed out because of my lack of confidence. My two band mates reassured me with what we CAN effortlessly play loads of tunes at this time. They explained that when a group of gals walk into the winery we will play our 11 songs. After they leave and the next group walks in , we will could play those same 11 songs and play a few of them as instrumentals. My blood pressure dropped and immediately felt groovy again. The nutty part of all that is we are using SongBed app on our iPads and we currently play 39 songs mistake free. Unreal

The newest development is pretty exciting as the original Craigslist Guy and I are auditioning on the 16th of this month as a duo. The venue is just over an hours drive and they are addition folks for their summer festival season. Apple Fest, Art & Jazz Fest, etc

The two of us are rocking with loads of practice time with 3 originals and a cover tune for set one and then 4 originals for set two. I am beyond tickled with all the originals because when I screw up, NOT a soul will know thew difference. So Thats Cool

In Closing, this is a wonderful group here on Bass Buzz. Looking forward to sharing and reading about all of your adventures and what nots. I welcome you all and wish you all the best during 2024 and beyond.

Stay Rowdy,
Cheers
P.S. Any updates on Pam or @PamPurrs

15 Likes

Pam posts occasionally! I’d love to hear more about how she is doing too though.

6 Likes

It seems like you have a cool little community in here. Thanks for the welcome messages and welcome to others. Still chewing through the first modules but, again, I like the pacing. It makes it easier to keep chugging along.

9 Likes

Hey… I’m 56 and pretty much new to playing music. Bought an electric guitar :guitar: off a friend in my teens, but never did anything to learn how to play. Bought an acoustic guitar around 30 and took lessons from a music student at a local college… but was difficult to maintain with work schedule at the time. Fast forward to last July. Only one in my family that does not play an instrument (wife oboe, son drums, daughter piano and flute)… but I do stage lighting :slightly_smiling_face:… so learning an instrument on my bucket list. Thanks to YouTube algorithms, I discovered Bass Buzz and bought a Squire J Bass to get started. B2B working well for me. No plan or desire to play with a group… just for personal enjoyment and hope it helps make me better at running lights with music.

16 Likes

Welcome @dennysharpless !

4 Likes

Welcome @dennysharpless
Have fun!

5 Likes

Welcome, @dennysharpless. Glad you’re here. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Hello fellow bass friends!
I just bought the course and joined this awesome place yesterday. :partying_face:

I am a classically trained pianist who suddenly (last Friday) wanted to try something new. Very impulsive, I know. :sweat_smile:
When I listen to music I always vibe with the bass, so I thought: Yolo. :metal: Let’s try that! I went to my local music store and had the opportunity to try a few beauties.
And wow!! The e-bass vibed well with me. I immediately fell in love. :heart:

As a pianist I already spent decades of work on technique and music theory.
It is kinda fun to be a total noob again - I am really slow at finding the right notes on the fretboard. :laughing:

19 Likes

Hi @gabe How brilliant that you’re back! I definitely know that Life feeling. Really gets in the way of itself, doesn’t it, living… I got very distracted for several years away from learning music and am chugged to be back myself recently. Have a blast and see you around here.

6 Likes

Hi @dennysharpless . That made me do a little gasp - matching lights to music. Super cool. Have a great time with the bass!

4 Likes

Welcome @Ouijava !

5 Likes

Welcome @Ouijava
Have fun!
I had a sudden unexplainable desire to learn how to play bass as an absolute beginner over a year ago. Going with that decision and taking the B2B course was a great way to go.

6 Likes

Welcome @Ouijava and looking forward to what you shall be bringing to the table

Outstanding update @dennysharpless and enjoy the moment

Cheers

6 Likes

Welcome, @Ouijava. Glad you’re here. Enjoy the lessons!

5 Likes

Loving it here thank you @Hanhanhan!

5 Likes

Hi, my name is Randall Deming
I have been playing bass guitar since I was 14 years old and I am now 24. I own a bunch a basses but my main one is a 5 string Sire V7. I really look forward to getting to know all you guys on here.

10 Likes

Welcome, @Randall_M_Deming. Glad you’re here. There a lot of guitar players in the forum who are loving playing bass. Enjoy!

4 Likes

Thanks @MikeC

5 Likes

On another form, can I post my bass guitar songs I have been working on and get feedback from people? I am Christian worship bass guitar player and play a lot of Christian worship songs and would like feedback on them if possible in a different thread.

4 Likes