Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Hahaha, probably not far off here, @peterhuppertz!

2 Likes

Welcome to you both @mazekl53 and @fernandezplaysagain!

1 Like

@peterhuppertz Do you still have a link or name for that web comic?

Welcome @mazekl53 & @fernandezplaysagain. Great to have you along for the ride.

1 Like

How did you do on Billie Jean. Very hard for me. I’ll be doing it again tomorrow

2 Likes

The web comic is Questionable Content, by Jeph Jacques.
https://questionablecontent.net
It’s essentially a sitcom/slice of life comic. If you compare today’s drawing style with how it started out 17 years ago, you get a good idea of the progress this guy made. You probably wouldn’t believe it’s even the same artist.

I’m not sure about which specific instalment the scene I remembered is on, and it’s been running for 17 years now, so no, I’m not gonna dig it up for ya. :wink:

4 Likes

Billie Jean is a tricky one. I can do the Hard one now with about 80% accuracy. I just play it for a bit each day. Good practice routine. Don’t stress it if you are struggling with it. Just move on and come back to it later. Or just try it for 5 min each day and you’ll eventually get it.

3 Likes

@peterhuppertz Thanks. It sounded really familiar when you mentioned it. I think I’ve read this comic before.

Oh look what I found.

https://www.questionablecontent.net/view.php?comic=864

5 Likes

@JoshFossgreen:
… so, today I hit Billie Jean. Billie Jean hit me back. Right on the nose.
It’s like slamming into a brick wall. :wink:
Any confidence I had built up is now floating like autumn leaves in a puddle of rain. :wink:
Got down the slow workout now (somewhat), decided to progress to M5, and get back to BJ for 15 mins each day, or something.

5 Likes

It’s what most of us do… it is also what @JoshFossgreen recommends - keep on moving on…

5 Likes

{sigh} . . . yes . . . as so many of us have learned :frowning:

But, don’t worry @peterhuppertz you’re not alone . . .
Welcome to the Billie Jean club :wink:

5 Likes

Welcome @BernieOldstyle, glad you’re getting back into playing!

Welcome Kirk @mazekl53! Lots of folks here play in church, seems to be a good way to get into performing (for people who want to!).

Welcome Andy @fernandezplaysagain! Jam session by April sounds realistic. :slight_smile:

@peterhuppertz, geting the slow workout decent on Billie Jean isn’t bad for a first run!

3 Likes

And another old guy to another WELCOME. Played bass back as a teen, then life happened and finally picked it up again at age 48! LOVE PLAYING and so wished I would have made time all along…but the past is the past. Enjoy the NOW!

2 Likes

And big WELCOME to @mazekl53 and @fernandezplaysagain!! So cool to see so many of us 40 somethings playing!

Now if someone would tell my wife that it ISNT a MIDLIFE crisis (although I did start growing my hair again last year ala Viking style (short sides long top) into a pony tail, and am seriously considering joining a local band soon…)…lol

4 Likes

Hey. I’m Ed. I’m from Europe and have been playing bass for about a year now.

I come from many years of guitar where I played with my fingers but picked up bass with a pick as it seemed learning to pluck would be bothersome, though now I’m trying to learn to pluck haha.

Anyways, I love bass and I’m in a crust/post-metal crossover type band with my mates and we’re doing quite well playing live and will have a demo soon. I love the BassBuzz videos so I came here to check out the forum and get some help with stuff, maybe see some cool people and their stuff.

10 Likes

I’ve been reading these messages by the dozens, and I am amazed at how many folks are in a similar situation to mine. I thought I was so ridiculous trying to learn bass, but so many are doing it, and here I am in module for. It’s all working so well. Very thankful…

8 Likes

You had me at “Viking style.”

Welcome aboard!

2 Likes

Hi Ed, welcome to the forum. This is a really cool, laid-back slice of the internet. Lots of great people and really supportive. I’m sure you’ll be happy here.

3 Likes

So it’s D-Day, my bass arrives today.

I’m more intimidated than excited. Be gentle with me module 1, lesson 1!

I’m gonna go read/watch the first couple of lessons so I know what I’m in for.

6 Likes