Introduce Yourself! (2018-2022)

Six!? I’m barely hanging on by the skin of my teeth with two!

2 Likes

Welcome aboard, @Dkuuzzii . . . hope you enjoy your time with us!

Cheers, Joe :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hehheh.

Four grandkids here. One might become a drummer, but he’s currently too defocused at almost 15 years old. :wink:

1 Like

Hi. And just to reinforce a few other comments here; I’m glad I’m not the only person in their 50s that have taken up the bass! :+1:I’ve always been into music and love going to gigs etc., and have always been in awe of accomplished musicians and the amazing skills that they have nurtured. I’m quite and outdoorsy person (cycling, running, walking, hiking) and my wife suggested that I take up an indoor hobby or pastime, given that I’m not a massive tv watcher and can’t always be outside. So I went and bought an ‘ok’ second hand bass and amp. I’m not sure what I want to achieve other than being able to play bass with confidence and perhaps even be able to jam with another guitarist, or better still, my son who plays keyboards, for fun. Looking forward to it, anyway!

10 Likes

Welcome, @Andjoco . . . you have plenty of company here! :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

Welcome @Dkuuzzii and @Andjoco! Sounds like fun that both of you will be playing with your kids!

3 Likes

My wife just asked “why is he describing you?”

Welcome from my jazz cave, where the rain is beating down on the slanted roof window, while my wife is binging on Netflix, and I’m listening to some sweet, sweet jazz.

4 Likes

Welcome Dkuuzzii and Andrew-Courtney. 57 here, picked up a bass for the first time 2 weeks ago. Never too late.

4 Likes

Welcome @Dkuuzzii !
I’m sure you’ll enjoy the course and the community here.
Jerry

3 Likes

Welcome @Andjoco ! There are a great bunch of people here.
Jerry

3 Likes

And I thought it was just me that was odd because I get fidgety watching tv! :rofl:

1 Like

Welcome Dana @Dkuuzzii! Hope you enjoy the course. :blush:

Welcome @Andjoco! Those sound like good goals for starting out, playing with confidence and being able to make music with family are wonderful things.

2 Likes

Welcome to everyone new. I don’t get to this thread too often (maybe I should)… Anyway, you have found “A great place for all things bass”!

Keep on Thumpin’!

3 Likes

Hi. I completed Josh’s excellent course quite some time ago, and have never gotten round to participating in this forum but, in the “Introduce Yourself” vein, here goes … I found almost every bit of the course useful (the exception being that I pretty much skipped the slap bass lessons, because I will simply never have any use for that style), and (to my surprise) it was the musical THEORY that proved most valuable. (I’m a guitarist from way back, so I’d picked up all sorts of “knowledge” without ever really knowing why.) … Like others on this forum, I suffer badly from G.A.S. (Gear Acquisition Syndrome) so, in addition to 10 guitars and a couple of Fender MandoStrats, I also have five basses — two six-stringers, a five, and two U-basses (4-string). My wife thinks I own far too many, and I find it hard to argue with her! :slight_smile: After long stints with amps ranging from Fender to Hartke, I surprised myself by falling in love with Bugera amps — I have a couple of BXD12’s that do the job for me in the church music team I play (mostly bass) in. But enough waffle … Again, my compliments to Josh for a first-class job on the course, and I’m actually thinking of going back and re-doing the whole thing, just to consolidate all the stuff I’ve been using, and perhaps to unlearn some bad habits I’ve undoubtedly picked up along the way!

10 Likes

Welcome to the forums @alanjans. It’s nice to have some folk around ho have finished the course some time ago, and hopefully you’ll find it a good place to hang out with folk you have something in common with, and we’ll have a chance to get your input on stuff.

You may hold the record around here for number of instruments, but if your wife thinks you have too many you may have to offload one or two items: I’m sure she’ll do fine on her own. :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, how familiar are these words. :smiley:

And these too, by the way. :wink: There will be no slapping in this house. :smiley:

Welcome!

3 Likes

Hi everybody! After starting my own “new guy” thread I realized this thread wasn’t just a sticky where @JoshFossgreen introduces himself, but a place for all the forum members to check in. Whoops. :crazy_face:

Anyway, I’m here. I toyed with bass lessons when I was in my early 20s, but I Wasn’t very confident and never followed through.

Josh’s free YouTube lessons lead me to Beginner to Badass. Look out!

10 Likes

Welcome aboard, @alanjans and @GalleyCat . . . :slight_smile:

Glad you finished up Josh’s course, alanjans! I did not do the slap part very well myself, but the rest was very helpful.

And I wish you luck in the course, GalleyCat . . . :+1:

See you both around the Forums!

All best, Joe

3 Likes

welcome to @alanjans and @GalleyCat.
Lots of great Badass Bassists here to commiserate with.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @alanjans, glad you enjoyed the course!

And welcome to the course and the forum @GalleyCat! No worries about the spare thread. :wink:

1 Like