iRig HD2 vs. Behringer U-Phoria UM2

As I’ve been experimenting with my iRig HD2 along with a Donner Ultimate Comp pedal, I find that I’ve been a bit unsatisfied with the results I’m getting. Following a recommendation in this thread, and the fact it was dirt cheap on Amazon, I picked up a Behringer U-Phoria UM2.

So far, I’m very pleased with the results. The sound quality is much better, and being a bigger unit it’s much easier to adjust the gain and other settings. And it works flawlessly with Amplitube (the software that came with the iRig), whereas the iRig did not.

One thing I notice, though, is that there doesn’t seem to be a line out on the Behringer to route the signal back to my amp, which is something that the iRig had; I could run the iRig in the effects loop on my amp and record while I was listening to myself play in my amp. The Behringer only has a headphone output.

There are RCA outputs on the back, and being a one-time Radio Shack store manager I know I can get cable adapters to convert those RCA outputs to a 1/4", but I don’t know if that’s the same kind of line-level output that the amp would be expecting.

So! I call upon the great and never-ending knowledge of the BassBuzz collective: If I get a dual RCA to 1/4" jack cable, would I be able to use that as an output to my amp and put it in my amp’s effects loop? Or am I doomed to an either/or situation, where I play through my amp OR through my PC/Berhinger headphones?

1 Like

Pretty sure you can do this, but this will make the signal go from balanced (stereo) to unbalanced (mono). Your dual RCA will be a 1/4" TRS jack which is meant for stereo output. You can also look for a TRS > TS converter.

Does your amp has an aux-in?

1 Like

It does, but weirdly it’s a 1/8" input. =/

I have a Fender Rumble 100 amp.

1 Like

Hey Tim, Hook your bass up to your rumble, then send the signal to ur pedal, send it back to the amp. then use an XLR (Line Out) cable to ur interface. then u can jam + record at the same time. less cable switching.

Why are you trying to do this?
Why would you not route your amp XLR out to the Behringer to record vs. trying to get back there?

I assumed Tim wants the following:

Bass > DAI > plugins (Amplitube) > Output > Amp. So he is using his amp purely as a speaker/monitor. The amp- and cab sims are done in Amplitube.

This is not weird haha. Just get a RCA to 1/8" input. That is a stereo mini jack. This will sound better too because you keep your signal balanced. So no tricky business with your return FX either, this will be pure stereo output from your amp.

1 Like

Because I didn’t know you could do that! :smiley:

But that makes it much simpler. Thanks, @John_E and @Vegaswizzle for that tidbit of knowledge. This is exactly why I summoned the great and never-ending knowledge of the BassBuzz collective.

Yeah, kind-of like that. Basically, I want to play through my amp and record at the same time. Sounds like the XML route will work!

EDIT: I meant XLR, not XML. I deal with XML so much that I must have habitually typed “ML” after the capital X, LOL.

2 Likes

Yeah forget my route. It’s way different :slight_smile:

Got my XLR cable today. Ran it from the XLR out on my amp to the XLR in on the UM-2. Did a few test recordings. Effing perfect.

Thanks again, @John_E and @Vegaswizzle.

1 Like