Is PJ Worth it?

I like PJ because it’s neither a P nor a J :slight_smile:

It’s its own thing, which I actually like better than either P or J/J basses.

5 Likes

There’s nothing exactly like a P, a J, a PJ, a PMM, an MM, a JMM, a JMMJ or any other combo of pups and placements on the body. They are each its own thing.

5 Likes

I agree, @Al1885. :+1:

5 Likes

They are all good in their own way and also tend to be genre specific - some work better for some genres. If you want to be Marcus Miller, you’re going to want a J/J, for example.

For the styles I generally like, J/J don’t work as well, it’s all P, P/J, or humbuckers, usually in that order. I’ve owned them all and love them all.

4 Likes

Welcome to the BassBuzz community! As others have said, you really can’t go wrong with your first bass. A decent amp and any popular bass config and you will be well on your way to having secured gear for your first 2-3 years of practicing.

One of the most important things is having something you can get a clean sound out of to hear feedback from your playing - so whatever you choose, be aware in listening to what you have it set to!

Pick something that you are going to want to pick up and play. If at all possible, try something at a store and make sure its comfortable for you.

4 Likes

You can be Zen and be one with everything oh wait! Have one of everything :joy:

These 2 are super awesome but they are not producing the same tone or vibe. Yet both kickass in the same genre.

5 Likes

So basically you are saying it would be better -in the long term- to get a bass for each type, as they are better at that one thing?

2 Likes

In a recent interview, Sire CEO Kyle Kim hinted that the company is designing a similar bass, with an on-board DSP.

2 Likes

@MikeC What’s your opinion on the V8 so far?

1 Like

What’s the PJ you got?

1 Like

Thank you for the welcome! Yes, it makes sense, and in fact I am also investing in some decent amp to pair with the new bass.
At the moment, I have eyed a Sire V7, but the P7 (PJ config) seems also nice. I think I will eventually end up with either a JJ or a PJ, as the pure P sound is too muddy and muffled to my ear.

1 Like

Wait, that’s your room?

2 Likes

Sadly yes, lol.

2 Likes

Take Precision bass for example, it’s arguably the most recorded bass in the history of recording, yet it has limited versatility but it produces great tone and excel at what it does.

God bless you if you can and will only have one bass, but the odds are not very good. So you’d have second then third and so on. Having a bass that can do it all is very limited to that one bass that can do it all. What’s your excuse when you want another, lol?

1 Like

I’ve bought my very last bass ever four times now. Looking to buy another final bass sometime in the next couple of months.

3 Likes

You just gained my perpetual respect.

1 Like

“I was at the music shop and it stared at me with PUPpy eyes…”

1 Like

“In my defense, dear wife, you were the one that let me go to the music store unsupervised so this is essentially your fault.”

1 Like

My V8 is fantastic. Its slim roasted hard Maple neck’s thickness and C profile are super-comfortable, making it one of the fastest and easiest to play I’ve ever touched. And, man, its pups are HOT and incredibly versatile, whether played active or passive.

In short, I find myself grinning from ear to ear every time I play it. There is no higher praise.

4 Likes

@MikeC you didn’t mention the best part, the ivory neck binding. That’s my favorite part.

1 Like