Jaco Pastorius: Modern Electric Bass

You Tube > v=fnHQc-gepGg&t=9s

2 Likes

Hi @V-Bass

Your link isn’t attached correctly.
You can simply cut and paste the YouTube link in the body on its own line and it should embed properly.

1 Like

I’ve tried, but… just can’t bring myself to be a fan of the guy.

1 Like

I like “The Chicken”… and that’s about it, really. The rest of the catalogue is a bit too self-adoringly onanistic to me.

2 Likes

That nails it yeah

He introduced himself to Joe Zawinul as the “greatest bass player in the world” so yes, I can see why people see his music as self-serving and his personality as arrogant, but truth is, he belongs to the Olympus of the few musicians who changed the way music was understood, played and performed. Without him, people like Victor Wooten wouldn’t exist musically, simply because it was Pastorius who showed the world once and for all that the bass could be an amazing solo instrument. If he only had lived a longer life, as he should have, probably our assessment of his musical legacy would be different today. But the very fact that we are still here talking about him today in 2023 is a pretty good indication, in my view, that he’s still relevant and influential.

2 Likes

Totally agreed. I just can’t bring myself to like his music.

It’s like Dostoyevsky. People consider him a literary giant. I think that he is a long-winded, boring shill of the Tsarist regime.

2 Likes

I heard that a lot about Dostoevsky. I guess that’s the beauty of true art. There is always something for everyone to see in it, or otherwise.

His day of teaching Bass at University of Miami was even more pure and amazing than what he played after weather report according to privilege few including his top student who experienced it.

The better you get at playing bass the more you appreciate his genius, that’s probably why many of my hero players love them and I’m still trying to grasp what he could do. Take Donna Lee, that song is way, way above my ability to appreciate, it’s just a bunch of notes strung together in no particular order, lol.

That said when he dumbed it down and put it in to the context that I can comprehend, it’s genius, like this one, it’s fun.

and this one from the B side

3 Likes

I learned a new word today.
While I don’t experience his music this way, I’m very glad to expand my vocabulary.

7 Likes

I think that’s a good way of putting it.

He is/was a controversial person - you either love him or hate him (and, by extension, his music). He was very full of himself, but also very generous. He was innovative and also destructive. He had a bipolar condition, which ultimately led to his demise.

I occasionally study scores and transcripts of his playing and routinely throw my hands up laughing in awed consternation how ridiculous a lot of the stuff is. I don’t dig all of his music - a lot is indeed quite hard to penetrate. But the more you listen and dig into, the more interesting nuances you’ll find.

That said, a lot of my favorite players are clear Jaco disciples, and if he hadn’t been around, someone would have to invent that style :grin: So, yeah, I dig how what he started has evolved!

2 Likes

I do not feel his music is bad in any way. I think it’s incredible.
I also know that it’s not a style I will seek out.
I feel the same way about Charles Berthoud - an amazing technical talent that inspires me not at all.

3 Likes

Same! He can vow me, but he doesn’t touch me.

2 Likes

Yes because that’s sexual harassment I think. Don’t quote me I’m not a lawyer, only married to one.

4 Likes

This always happens when I try to expand my school English and wander from the “safe path”. No wonder poets feel misunderstood all the time :rofl:

3 Likes

It’s ok. Barney’s from the UK so he’s not a native English speaker either.

2 Likes

Ouch :wink:

2 Likes

(I should just bind this meme to a hotkey because I send it to US colleagues when they schedule meetings at 7am my time)

1 Like

Just remember @howard if it wasn’t for us you’d all be speaking German right now :wink:

2 Likes

lol yes.

England, France, and America: It’s complicated :tm:

2 Likes