Jam Tracks / Improv. Tracks - Share your bassline

I love the backing track @method72 . Not sure how I missed this a couple weeks back. This is close to the kind of stuff I used to love to play with on synths - early techno and electro/industrial for me at the time.

1 Like

Totally agree, Vik!! And thanks for the good words. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Well, the next step would then be to play a cover of @Gio’s version :laughing: - to learn from the master!

2 Likes

I finally got a day free today! So I took the challenge, obviously went off on one of my tangents. But, there’s a song in there and I can’t get rid of the melody line now!

4 Likes

Nice, @muff! Cool to hear yet another way to accompany those chords!

Is that the same bass/effect that you used the other day? Interesting sound for sure…

1 Like

Ta! Not the same no. It was my Epi EBO D.I.'ed. I only added compression to even out my uneven playing…

2 Likes

cool @muff, nice line ! if I can give a constructive criticisme I’d say I might sound better with more mid-range :slight_smile: your tone is cool but very bassy, it does not help to “understand” well the notes. again it’s just a constructive comment, it’s your tone, you’re the boss ! :grin:

3 Likes

I do forget myself. The tone has been ingrained from all the dub and reggae. My style obviously too. I have re-uploaded it as a remix of itself. I gave the rhythm track more attention, and put the bass through Logic supplied “Bass Stack” to try and improve the tone. I didn’t try and play it again. Flaws are there to learn by! I’m most definitely not the boss. I leave all that to “ma cherie amour”… :metal:

2 Likes

Bravo, sir. Nice melodic turns in there.

1 Like

@Gio Thanks for posting this. I’m practicing with this track in Audacity, mainly just to learn how to use Audacity. I’m not sure if this will be something that I post after I’m finished.
It took me a significant amount of time of trial and error trying to figure out the tempo, until I finally determined it to be 80 bpm. Is there an easier, faster way to do that?

2 Likes

yeah … don’t matter, just feel the beat and play the groove !

1 Like

I guess I don’t have that skill :anguished:

1 Like

I’m sure you have :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@PamPurrs I’m with @terb on this one. With all that you know and all you’ve learned, you can do this. Start simply and just see how the music moves you. Then find the notes you want.
:slightly_smiling_face::+1:

3 Likes

Yeah, that makes sense. I have to change my way of thinking I guess. I’m too structured. Too organized. I feel like I have to set my mental metronome before I can play it, and thus, need to know the tempo.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs, +1 on what @terb and @eric.kiser said. What works for me is to listen to the soundtrack over and over with my headset on and eyes closed so that I can do nothing other than concentrate and focus on the beat, the sounds, the rhythm, the instruments… After awhile I’ll begin to hear a distinct groove in my head - that’s the point when I pick up my bass and start playing… I’ve had some tracks that I had to listen to over and over a hundred times before the groove hit - I’ve had some that came right away and others that didn’t. Don’t sell yourself short though - remember, you’re a “BADASS”!!!

Keep on Thumpin’!!
Lanny

2 Likes

@PamPurrs -

That’s a good question. I would not normally include the bpm marking on anything that I was releasing as a playalong / jamalong track. The idea being that the drums will count you in and set up a groove, much like in the real world of playing. No drummer in a jam session will call out “95 beats a minute!” - even though some will check tempo with a metronome on a setlist before starting. It’s their responsibility, not ours (generally speaking).

When I am preparing tracks to send to other people for collaboration and I know that they will need to import the track into their recording program, record their own parts and - possibly - make intricate edits or multiple parts, etc… then I WILL include a bpm marking, as it really helps in setting up and editing parts in a Digital Recording Whathaveyou.

For this playalong, try and adopt the mindset of: You showed up at the jam, somebody said “funky jam in C minor,” and then the drummer counted in.
This is a very real-world and yes-it-happens-like-that-sometimes situation.

All the best!

3 Likes

Thanks @Gio!

Gotta be my favourite strings. So damn reliable. Never had a breakage, even with the metal pick. Just wish I could do that harmonic thing the way you do. i.e. seamlessly!

2 Likes

Thanks Muff! To be honest, the Rotosounds are not usually my go to - I usually do D’Addario - but these are reallllly groovy for me.

2 Likes