Jam Tracks / Improv. Tracks - Share your bassline

I don’t think so - especially also considering that you shoot a video of you playing it… I mean, it took me quite a few takes to get it halfway “presentable” :joy: I don’t think I could do it with the added “stress” of being filmed!!

3 Likes

that’s cool @joergkutter , I’m always impressed and pleased to see how much a single line can change the feel of a full mix ! I like those little artificial harmonics you put here and there, that’s a nice enrichment to the bass line :+1:

2 Likes

same thing here, it’s not the first shot for me neither :sweat_smile:

about the video, I’m not sure it adds something interesting to the audio track, the point is just that I prefer keeping everything in the same place, so I upload to Youtube rather than on Soundcloud :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks, @terb - much appreciated!

And, sorry, I haven’t contributed to your “covers” thread yet! I guess I am not a cover kind a guy (or let’s say, the songs I would want to cover, I certainly can’t play :sleepy:), and I am also technically challenged (= too lazy) to fiddle with software EQs to remove the existing bass lines :grin:

2 Likes

Very impressive! What I liked here too was that you made a video - it was neat to see you hit some of those same root notes that I am familiar with on the 1 beat. I was saying the note name to myself as you were playing it, and the video was helpful. Of course, the rest of each bar was unbelievable, but a little over my head as to what you were doing! But little by little, it is coming together.

I’m about to listen to Joerg’s now… Okay, it is actually good for me to hear (and see) more advanced players like both you play. Best way to improve - hang out with people a few (or a lot!) more steps ahead of you :grin:

2 Likes

Very much appreciate the feedback!!! Yes, these things all are helpful - I’m never sure how loud to make the bass track - after I record, it is always too soft for me, so I hit “Amplify” for the track in my software. The last time I amplified it quite a bit on a cover, then thought, “maybe this is too much”. I think we will always have a bias towards making the bass track a bit louder though :laughing:

And I’m totally into experimenting more - eventually - kept it (relatively) simple here to get some of these basics down. And I love the advice on making the 4th bar lead back into the next bar - good stuff.

Okay, going to listen to your jam now…

2 Likes

I like your bassline a lot - it makes this groove sort of “come alive”, in the sense, I could almost get up and move to it! And yeah, for sure, the syncopation makes the bassline stand out all on its own, rather than just following a drumbeat. Like someone posted not long ago, when the band told the bassist to follow them, but the bass player said, forget that, you follow my lead…, (or more colorful words to that effect!)

2 Likes

@Vik GREAT JOB! I really like what you’ve done here. And I love the clarity and knowledge in the notation as well.

For the response, I think that @joergkutter has great points, and I’d second all of those. The movements in the 2nd and 4th bar are great, and you could definitely explore those more and - if you’re comfortable with it - loosen up the rhythms there.
The one thing that could be REAL cool would be moving the 3rd beat of your basic rhythm up a 1/16th to sync up with the kick drum pattern! Might be nice.
But, really, I think you took the pointers I gave and crafted a very solid and lovely line. Bravo.

@terb - very cool reharmonizations! And I like how you almost gave us some eye contact at the verrrrry end… but then didn’t. (heh). Great bass line, sir.

@joergkutter - love those harmonics! The bass line has some great movement in it too. This is great stuff.

Ok all.
I’m gunna jump in here, and what I’m gunna do is take the ideas that I really like from y’alls’ basslines and develop them. I like the basic rhythm pattern from @Vik, but I’m gunna add that 1/16th syncopation to lock with the kick. I really did the re-harm from @terb, so I’ll grab that, and I really like the harmonics from @joergkutter, so I’ll do that too.

Then I’ll try and spin it into some more stuff, and hopefull illustrate what I’d like to see with each of the lines in bass-line form for y’all.

Post to come.

5 Likes

Haha, thanks, that is a really nice compliment - I guess electric basses where invented to get people to move their bodies :grin:(if that wasn’t the intention, it should’ve been!)

2 Likes

Oh, wow, head spinning and saliva drooling here - that is going to be epic!! Can’t wait, @Gio!

3 Likes

Ahhh, ok, yes, I felt that there was something off about my trying to lock in with the kick drum on one of those “and of” beats… I think my brain still only really thinks in 8ths, trying to place 16ths - well not quite there yet. But glad to learn this lesson of “if it still sounds off on the 8th, it’s probably a 16th in-between”!

Always look forward to your posts - and your advice!

1 Like

in fact I was checking if the video was actually recording :joy:

thanks Gio, can’t wait to hear your line !

2 Likes

Ok bass amigos.
Here goes.

6 Likes

oh yeah, great line !!

1 Like

Oh, man, that is terrific… and you just whipped that up in a few minutes??? :joy:

(Of course, @he had some great inspiration …cough… :grin:)

3 Likes

And that bass sound… is that a Jazzbass???

2 Likes

That’s my MIM Road Worn 50s re-issue P Bass with Rotosound .045 nickel round wounds with a bit of foam, straight into the apollo twin AI to Logic. No tweaks or nothin.

My J bass would have been way better for the harmonics, but I like the warm warm P-bass vibe these days. Can’t really get enough.

5 Likes

Sweet! Must be in your fingers then :grin:

2 Likes

Man, there’s that something to yours that really has a professional level sound to it. I can’t put my finger quite on it at this phase, it’s just like you’re one with the music, like it’s just flowing, like you’re the boss here of the tune, but in an understated way. I’m listening to all of them again tonight just now, these all sound so cool when there’s a chord progression like that.

To anyone thinking about trying this: my first pass through it was just doing whole notes for the root note. Just finding all the root notes. And I thought that sounded pretty good. There are enough chord changes where just that makes for a nice bassline. It’s really worth doing this - of course, be prepared to be humbled, but, try this, I’d even say this type of challenge pushes you even more than doing a cover - you’ve got to figure out the notes yourself, and a lot of subtle learning happens with that.

3 Likes

Wow you guys, these are all so good. Love the sheet music, @Vik, and right now I am super envious of you previous guitar players out there. I’m still working up my physical dexterity to be able to improvise well - @terb that was awesome.

@joergkutter this track is really good. I’m focusing on learning something right now but I’ll try and throw one together at some point too.

2 Likes