Josh Mentioned on Talking Bass Lesson

I just watched a live, premier lesson on chords that Mark Smith at Talking Bass did. At the end, when he was saying goodbye, he said, “Seeya next week Bassketeers, In the words of Josh Fossgreen”.

I thought that was pretty cool. I didn’t even know Mark and @JoshFossgreen knew each other.

8 Likes

Adam Neely has also mentioned Josh. Specifically, the videos he did about being a cruise ship musician.

4 Likes

That’s interesting, Mark Smith also spent some time playing on a cruise ship. He’s got a specific blog dedicated to that experience on TalkingBass.net.

3 Likes

Musicians (specifically those who played stringed instruments) have always been a commodity on cruise ships… :laughing:

7 Likes

HaHaHa @Lanny

2 Likes

Haha that’s great! Mark seems like a really nice guy, we don’t know each other very well but we’ve emailed back and forth a bit over the years. I believe the first time he wrote to me was 2014 when I was on my last cruise ship gig, and I think he did some ship gigs after that (maybe some before too, I don’t know).

I had no idea about the Adam Neely mention @eric.kiser! Let me know if you find what video that was, curious what the context was (beyond what you already said).

5 Likes

It was an older QnA video. It was a while ago and I don’t remember which one it was.

Someone had asked what he thought of taking a gig on a cruise ship. His response was that when people left to do a cruise ship gig they leave all their contacts behind. So, when those contacts need a bass player they move on to using other people. He went on to say the people he had known who had done it were in a difficult place when they got back, having to rebuild where they were before they left. Then he recommended that anyone interested in doing it should search for the YouTube videos by Josh Fossgreen who recorded his experiences doing it.

5 Likes

Yeah, he seems like a good guy. I like his channel a lot.

2 Likes

I’m pleased to hear that Mark has a professional connection (and I assume mutual respect between them). Mark was on my shortlist of 3 online teachers: one of them appears to have stopped but his videos are well worth watching. The decision came down to Mark and @JoshFossgreen. I suspect either would’ve been a good choice and for anybody else it would be choosing based on personality.

I guess we’ll all be playing a lot of youtube vids over the coming weeks/months.

Stay safe.

4 Likes

I chose both. I did the B2B course while simultaneous taking the Scales Essentials course on Talking Bass. I’ve also taken his Chord Tones course, and am currently taking his Sight Reading and Ear Training courses.
Mark also has a video watch party, “Live Hang” on his Facebook page every Saturday for all his students to ask questions. I think it would be great if @JoshFossgreen did something like that.

6 Likes

Pete, I had the same shortlist of online teachers. I also decided to go with Josh. I understood his sense of humor the best :grin: Oh, and he’s a great teacher too :wink:

4 Likes

Mark doesn’t really do humour on his videos, does he? I did like his cruise ship vlogs better (sorry @JoshFossgreen).

4 Likes

I feel like a lot of us did that. Made the commitment to start the bass and looked online and found Josh, Mark and Scott. Those were the three I saw the most. I liked Josh’s style the best and chose B2B and glad I did this is an excellent course. I did the free membership to Mark and I keep meaning to check out some of his videos (Josh is keeping me too busy). I’ve been meaning to do my scales more so I will incorporate the cycle of 4ths to that. Mark also seems like an entertaining teacher. Of course hard to imagine he has a better forum than the great bunch of people here :smile:

8 Likes

Perhaps as jazzmo1999 said, a better description of Mark is that he is more entertaining than humorous. No matter. I liked Josh better because he is to the point and makes learning fun!

6 Likes

There’s no rule that says you can’t sign up for multiple courses on different sources, and take instructions from more than one teacher. While I found the B2B course very helpful as a beginner, and Josh to be quite the character, Mark Smith has a different approach, plus teaches many things that are absent from the B2B course. This statement is not a criticism in any way, it’s just a fact that every instructor teaches differently and focuses on different things.
The main thing that I get from Talking Bass is a great deal of music theory, which I feel is important for me in my quest to become a musician, not just a bass player. I am very happy that I invested in the Bass Buzz B2B course, and equally pleased to have purchased many great courses on Talking Bass. When Josh launches an advanced course, I will not hesitate to buy that as well.

9 Likes

Absolutely @PamPurrs no harm in learning as much as you can from as many as many as you can

3 Likes

I find Mark’s teaching style and personality to be effective. Not as effective for me as Josh but still up there.

I tried but I cannot say the same about Scott. His videos have good info in them and are entertaining, seems like a great guy to have a beer with, but I did not find them to be effective for my learing style. YMMV.

7 Likes

Who would that be then Pete?

3 Likes

I’m going to guess he’s talking about StudyBass.com. Nice website but the last update was a year ago in April.

Did I guess it @PeteP?

Nope. Although I did spend a little time one his site and found it quite good.

It was Richie Blake on MusicCollegeTV. He was very good teacher but I found him long after he’d apparently stopped. Another passionate player with a clear teaching technique. In fact, thinking about it, it was probably Josh being so similar (in some ways) that appealed to me.

2 Likes