Josh Mentioned on Talking Bass Lesson

I agree. Scott’s Bass Lessons was actually the first one I signed up for, even before I discovered BassBuzz and TalkingBass. I did the 30 day (I think) trial of his courses, and in the beginner course felt like he was always talking way over my head. I cancelled within my trial period and signed up with Josh, and then later with Mark.

3 Likes

Haha quite alright Pete, can’t even remember what I might have been on about in those. So many years and haircuts ago…

4 Likes

Mostly the difficulty in getting vegan food, I think. I don’t have a great memory but I did watch them all so they must’ve been entertaining enough.

3 Likes

Great to see the respect among the online teachers. I started with Mark from TalkingBass then found Josh at BuzzBass. Josh’s lessons are short, to the point, funny and full of valuable tips. Recently, I have been using Luke at BecomeABassist https://www.youtube.com/user/BecomeABassist/featured. All have something to offer and all have different styles and personalities. As a teacher myself, I appreciate the differences and as a student, you need to be open to know what style works for you. As for Scott’s Bass Lessons, just not interested. Scott talks way too much and is more self-centered than the others. And his style of playing is just not for me. Sorry Scott, I got into bass to lay the foundation, not play Jazz solos.

5 Likes

Agreed, @tfioriglio . . . :slight_smile:

Well spoken!

3 Likes

My thoughts exactly

4 Likes

One advantage to multiple teachers is more than one view or technique. The flip side of that is when they advise the same you know it’s fundamental and you should take it as gospel.

3 Likes

I did the 30 day trial period and only bothered with it for a few days. It might be perfect for someone else but it was absolutely wrong for me.

Everything thing I came in contact with used 10 words where 1 would be more productive. Even the instructions for using the sight involved multiple postings with each one a more boring wall of text than the last one.

And he drones on… and… on… and… on…

I had already discovered BassBuzz and the difference was stifling.

4 Likes

Yeah I watch SBL every once in a while and it feels like all his videos are drawn out for ad revenue. Every video feels like it could be summed up in a minute. I have probably watched more than 30 of his vids, and the only thing I actually remember learning from him was how to play the major scale on the entire fretboard (which was a pretty good thing to learn I guess)

I actually really liked studybass. I started out with it, and I learned all the basics through it. I only stopped cause it was hard to navigate in a non linear motion.

I also really like luke from become a bassist, who I know was previously mentioned. I watch him when I am out of BassBuzz content lol.

4 Likes

Kinda late to the party, but I think he’s still active and working on a major site overhaul (for a pretty long time now, but hey, he’s doing it all by himself and he’s not a professional programmer). His facebook is still active. Last share was on the 5th.

It was my first resource for bass! It has some really good stuff

2 Likes

yeah, i subscribe to studybass.com, just a small amount to help him out. it’s a really good site, kind of more general overview and study without going too hardcore in depth to any one area. i think unless you want to focus on a specific area, it is perfect as a follow up to B2B. it is IMO very useful and works as it stands right now, but he is indeed trying to redo the whole site for added functionality.

4 Likes

That is a nice site and he seems proficient. I took a few of the beginner modules a year and a half ago but haven’t been there since.

2 Likes

Studybass.com has had its major update this week. Been using it for theory on and about bass, nice complement for me to bassbuzz.

3 Likes

Cool! Thanks for letting us know. :+1:

1 Like

Me too, both different in their approach but compliment each other I find

1 Like

I used the free StudyBass lessons for a while, but I found them quite boring. Lots of fretting exercises: fret 4-5-6-7 on E, then the same four on A, and so on and so on. Useful, definitely, but boring. Might check it out again in the future for complementary stuff, especially if it’s been overhauled.

2 Likes

Thats what I’ve been doing and I find myself drifting off on my own for weeks and then check back and go, “oh yeah I was doing this course” hard to stay focused without someone teaching, its pretty much just picking up a book and going through it chapter by chapter.

2 Likes

@Mike_NL @Tokyo_Rat
Very recognizable, that’s why I only read it for theory. As an extra reference, practice with, playing on the bass is something I like to do more with Josh.

3 Likes

I chose Bass Buzz for the rock, and I keep SBL for the more jazz/funk oriented forms of music. They each bring something different to the table me. I like Josh’s teaching style. He’s helped my bass playing, the lessons are easy to comprehend, and he’s also funny, which NEVER hurts.

4 Likes

@JoshFossgreen I had forgotten about this thread.

Here is the video where Adam Neely mentions you…
Q+A #25 - Why I own an Eb Real Book - YouTube

The question he is answering is at 19:38.
He mentions you specifically at 21:20.

@kurtzapril4 Thanks for bringing up this old thread.

3 Likes