#JoshFight

Live cultures are always cool, look at all these Kombucha chicks roaming around.

2 Likes

Salted beef seems really uncommon around here. Salted porc looks like the easier choice :pig:

3 Likes

But then… Why go for a sandwich when you can get a whole choucroute garnie :yum:

3 Likes

Uhm, I am starting to hope that Josh never finds this thread (the way it has developed)… he is a vegetarian after all :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Was curious to see what it was but now I’m curios about you plugging your address, let me know. I want to eat good too! :rofl:

3 Likes

Let’s say I don’t live far from the region the dish originates from :grin:

2 Likes

He forgave us the BBQ thread, so we might be fine with this one :crossed_fingers::sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I knew I’d drown before I got got there! So that balances my body out with any vegetarians if any sea life eats me. Fair game? I think so.

I wish people understood the purpose of live cultures and how they can’t go without them. Kefir, Kombucha & Sauerkraut + some other things would really help any diet.

(Don’t want to explain because how this thread can go more south than it already is :rofl:)

3 Likes

We get them in the People’s Glorious Republic of Canadastan too :smiley:

The problem is that you can’t get real corned beef outside of North America, except in a can.

4 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t even aware that there’s another kind of corned beef than the canned variety :yum:

5 Likes

Two out of three ain’t bad…

I never could develop a taste for kefir, but kombucha (Kevita is the best IMHO) and sauerkraut are YUM.

There are vegetarian :broccoli: variations of the Runza:

Original Vegetarian Runza , which contains lentils, cabbage, onions, oats and spices and the Southwest Black Bean Runza , which has black beans, corn, onions, red peppers, oats, shredded cheddar cheese and spices

I’m too far east to get my hands on a Runza, but I have Philly Cheesesteaks to console me. :grin:

4 Likes

This is true if it is a GOOD philly cheese steak, nothing from Subway or Denny’s, etc… However, Subway or Dennys even has a hard time messing up a Rueben.

Its not like the stuff that comes out of a can, or is canned hash. But if you don’t want corned beef, you can try Pastrami, unless you don’t like that either.
If you don’t like Kraut, get it with Coleslaw.

Wha…Wha…What? like a taco with chorizo and cabbage? But seriously, I never heard of this, but sounds like something to try.

My daughters boyfriend works at a fast food restarunt a block away, he brings me home BBQ Bacon Cheese Burgers, Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwiches, Chicken strips, Mozzarella stix, all sorts of great food.
The Catch.
He works at a Vegan Restaurant.

I don’t beleive they make a Ruben there, but I would be 99.999% sure that there are Vegan restarunts that do make a Reuben.

And the burgers taste like burgers, and the chicken strips taste like chicken strips, Mozzarella stix, or jalapeno poppers, they taste like real cheese, So, I bet they can do a great job with a Reuben. The more processed (salted / pickled) the meat is, the easier it is to replicate a meatless version of it, and on the Reuben, you have Rye Bread - Sauerkraut or Coleslaw, then Corned beef or pastrami and swiss cheese. Thousand Island or Russian dressing.
So
You need to make eggless mayo for the dressing
Non Dairy Swiss Cheese
and
Meatless Corned Beef or pastrami.

I know many people are turned off by Meatless and Vegan or Vegaterain, but now a days, it is REALLY FREAKING GOOD, and you would be hard pressed to tell the difference if somebody slipped you a meatless patty and didn’t tell you.
If you went to a restruant and ordered a burger you ordered all the time, you might notice, but if you were at a friends BBQ, or at a place you never ate at before, you would probably not be able to tell, if it is a quality meatless patty.
The Bacon, it taste like bacon and is really good, but texture wise, you might be able to tell.

3 Likes

Rubens are best found in Jewish delicatessens in east coast cities (well, NYC).
Katz’s is the Mecca of rubens.

https://katzsdelicatessen.com/

2 Likes

You’d be amazed how good it can get. Usually make from good brisket.

Reuben sandwiches are just fantastic. Easily my favorite sandwich. They don’t have to be super messy, either. The requirements are:

Rye bread (this is key :slight_smile: )
Swiss cheese (recommend a nice nutty swiss, i.e. Emmenthaler)
one of: high quality corned beef, or Pastrami (I prefer Pastrami but love both)
one of: sauerkraut or slaw (I vastly prefer kraut)
one of: Russian dressing (the original stuff, not the slightly modified French you sometimes see now), or 1000 island (I prefer 1000 island)

grilled until the cheese just melts

yeah!

6 Likes

Forgive me for being a dumb American, the land where we Celebrate a holiday for Mexico on the wrong day, and change cuisine and still call it International dining.
But isn’t Corned Beef Irish? At least thats all they serve in the bars and restaurants around here when it is St. Patricks day.
If this is true, why can you only get NON CANNED corned beef in North America? Has it just died in popularity, or does it just live in cans worldwide.

Unless you go to a deli, or meat counter, you can’t easily get a Corned Beef to cook (boil, bake, steam, probably bbq if you want). From February to end of March, that changes, because of St. Patricks Day on March 17th.

Wikipedia

Although the practice of curing beef was found locally in many cultures, the industrial production of corned beef started in the British Industrial Revolution. Irish corned beef was used and traded extensively from the 17th century to the mid-19th century for British civilian consumption and as provisions for the British naval fleets and North American armies due to its nonperishable nature.[10] The product was also traded to the French

Ireland produced a significant amount of the corned beef in the Atlantic trade from local cattle and salt imported from the Iberian Peninsula and southwestern France.

I am only asking out of curiosity, not trying to say anybody is right or wrong, or create a debate. I am just wondering because of my limited travel outside of the US, I never really thought to look for corned beef in places like Mexico and Jamaica, and in the Caribbean, and only been to Canada (across the bridge from Detroit) for a little while. Like I crossed the bridge, drove around for 30 minutes, just to say I had been to Canada, and then crossed back into Detroit and drove back down to Fremont, Ohio, where I was staying / working at the time.

1 Like

I can get (really good) corned beef in Japan but I have to get it from a guy that imports it from Australia.

BTW @Tokyo_Rat - if you don’t yet know The Meat Guy, here’s a treat :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I know that all New Yorkers say that you can only get real food in New York, trust me, I know, my mom was born and raised in the Bronx.
I have only been to NY city once, for about 5 hours, and ate at an Italian restaurant, before we went back to NJ, where we were working, and flew home the next morning. I did not have Pizza, and the food was good, but it was not anything I couldn’t get here in CA.
I ate Pizza in upstate NY, well, probably not upstate, it was in the middle of the state on the Pennsylvania border. It was really good, but again, nothing I have not had here.
same with Chicago. I did not think the pizza there was anything special.
Best Pizza I have had was in Fremont, Ohio, hands down, it was the best ever.
Jewish Deli’s, we have them here, and they make great Reubens and Matzoball soup and everything else. I have not compared it to a NY deli, so I can’t say for sure, but it is damn good out here.
Also, in Phoenix and Mesa and all around there, in the Malls, they have a cafe called Miracle Mile (IIRC), which is as good as any Jewish / Deli food that I have ever had. And I have eaten there with my mom, and she said it was as good as anything in CA, and damn close to NY deli food.

1 Like

Actually I think I may have mixed it up with either Chilis or Applebees. I’m pretty sure it’s Applebees on second thought. Sorry for the confusion.

Agreed, I love me anything philly cheesesteak. I love that Domino’s never got rid of theirs because that’s a unique pizza because it doesn’t have tomato pizza sauce.

2 Likes

I could picture Chilis having it.

2 Likes

I never tried it, because I don’t like Domino’s. But its the sauce I don’t particularly care for, so maybe a Philly Cheesesteak pizza from there would be good. I will try one sometime.

1 Like