#JoshFight

LOL I could see how people wouldn’t like live cultures from dairy but I love Kefir to death. Not necessarily because it’s great for that but because I love it’s taste.

Kombucha can be pretty great though, I want to try the alcoholic ones. Not just the slitly naturally alcoholic ones lol

2 Likes

You definitely should, nothing tops melted white cheese on bread for me. I actually have everything else from Dominos so I can agree it’s all trash. I only ever order the Philly cheesestake pizza and the oreo pizza on super rare occasion lol

1 Like

Kefir is great. I made my own for a couple years. Super easy and it comes out awesome.

2 Likes

That’s awesome man! :heart_eyes: Add Ryazhenka to that list.

2 Likes

Thanks!! The Officers club here does a good Rueben but he best I’ve ever had period was at the deli in the O-club at Kadena AB Okinawa

but I remember the meat being sliced thinner

5 Likes

[quote=“T_dub, post:35, topic:20604”]
If this is true, why can you only get NON CANNED corned beef in North America? Has it just died in popularity, or does it just live in cans worldwide.[/quote]

It might be a regional thing. I can canned corned beef anywhere (northeast), though I prefer the meat you cook to the barely-recognizable-as-meat stuff that comes out the can.

Again, I can get this year round, though there is definitely more of it and better pricing around St. Patrick’s Day.

I never could identify what it was about kefir that I didn’t like but considering my dislike for kombuchas that include the culture (it’s like a glob in the middle of my fizzy drink), that may have been it.

I’ve never seen alcoholic kombuchas though our local idiot supermarket classifies all kombuchas as alcoholic (I think it’s a CYA legal thing). Kevita has about as much alcohol as pickles… :unamused: i.e. none worth mentioning.

2 Likes

Yeah, it is available, just not as prominent as around the holiday.

1 Like

The ONE thing I don’t like about Reubens is when there is a bit too much caraway seeds in them… :wink:

2 Likes

I think that is what was true when I was a kid… beef is notoriously more expensive in Europe and certainly when I was growing up, we wouldn’t have beef very often. And sometimes there would be canned corned beef. So, it is partially because of what I remembered from growing up.

I think there is some kind of beef cut that was salt cured available in most countries nowadays (that offer beef in general), but it is probably most popular as the brisket-based variety in the States/NA (and perhaps/apparently down under).

2 Likes

@howard and @T_dub you might be hard pressed to get what you call corned beef over here. We do have the canned variety, but Wikipedia tells me that’s not the same thing. Actual corned beef seems to be most prevalent in Northern America, New Zealand, Hong Kong and The Philippines. The canned stuff, which is also known as bully beef, is found mostly in former British colonies. The consumption of corned beef on St. Patrick’s Day is associated with Irish immigrants in the US, not with the country of Ireland. Personally, I didn’t even know that there was another kind of corned beef than the canned stuff we have over here.

Oh, and as for pastrami: I had to look that up as well. It seems that, even though it originally came from Romania, it is now very much an American thing. I have only ever heard about it in American movies and TV shows that are set in New York.

5 Likes

True there are great places outside of NYC, and true there are horrible places in NYC. Every NYC slice of pizza isn’t good, etc. Jersey has outstanding bagels related to NYC, and there is a place in Yonkers that puts Buffalo to shame for wings. I love good food, and love finding that one place that does whatever it is to the next level.

Rubens are probably the most easily transferred. Pizza depends on water quality for dough (like bagels) etc. Corned beef is super easy to make at home from a regular brisket btw, in case any of the folks staring down a can of corned beef want to be adventurous.

1 Like

Back on topic: #JoshFight actually took place! Footage was even shown on the children’s TV news over here :joy:

7 Likes

All hail the new Supreme Josh.
Long may he reign!

4 Likes

Kefir & Ryazhenka don’t really have that same blob that kombucha has. But you should always shake your kefir bottle up well before ingesting. For kombucha I tilt the bottle up then back again super gently because it has that fizz.

Yeah they always classify it as an alcoholic drink, because it’s naturally occurring but it’s never nearly enough to even warrant talking about it. They have ones that have like 8% alcohol in a market nearby that I want to try very badly. So maybe next time I’m drinking.

1 Like

NOW THAT’S WHAT I CALL REUBEN VOL. 2
(Order now while corned beef lasts)

Seriously, this thing is serious. Look at how much beat they give you, I’ve been eating Reuben’s for babies apparently.

1 Like

Katz’s

Carnagie Deli (now closed)
So big they didn’t even bother trying to ‘close’ the sandwich

BTW, you can mail order ‘kits’ from Carnagie…

3 Likes

GASP

2 Likes

That’s…

… so American :joy:

4 Likes

It’s Texan sized American, in NY!

3 Likes

I survived the Josh Fight, as I have survived all other fights, by not attending.

Victory! :crown:

14 Likes