Kids BASS shortlist

+1 for this.
I’ll throw another one into the ring. Ibanez TMB30. Short scale 30" bass. Reasonably priced and well finished. Satin finish on the back of the neck, polished fret ends. Relatively small body and reasonable weight. It was my first Bass and I did the whole B2B course on it. I’m 5’7" and it was an easy bass to get around on.
The only reason I got another was after an email exchange with Ariane Cap she encouraged me to try a 34" scale bass for a while, if I was serious about Bass.
I’m guessing it’s made in the same Indonesian factory as the Mikro?
Picture against my P Bass for size comparison.

3 Likes

Then one of theses…

3 Likes

Kala ubass

3 Likes

Sire makes some good looking lightweight shortscale instruments with the U series

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MMU5A4TS--sire-marcus-miller-u5-alder-4-string-bass-guitar-tobacco-sunburst

1 Like

LMAO! :rofl:

1 Like

Or that nice “M”.

2 Likes

The Hofner is definitely on the shortlist Pam!

1 Like

The Ibanez SR MEZZO 32" scale bass . Not 30" not 34" scale in the middle. An other one to check out .

2 Likes

Yeah, they’re really nice.
Probably a bit over budget but with the distinct advantage that if she quits Daddy can “mind” it. :smiling_imp:

I have a sire U5 . Not using much was going to put up for sale. If your local I can give you a great price.

1 Like

Cool, I’ll check them out!

1 Like

A definite possibility.

Here’s a bass I have that is really nice. I bought mine to learn how to mod, and in fact am looking for a student to gift it to

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/JagBsAfLPB--squier-affinity-series-jaguar-bass-h-lake-placid-blue-with-maple-fingerboard

3 Likes

I’m a little over 5000 miles away. :smiley:

2 Likes

If daddy doesnt mind get V3 or V5 then :smiley:

1 Like

Yeah , you not local. :joy::rofl:
Yeah , love it when kids want to learn to play. I Have a granddaughter, she’s only 4 but I bought her a loog guitar, I have keyboards for her when she come over. I don’t push playing on her,but hopefully her watching me might influence her to play which it does. Sometimes it just noise but it’s all good. Kids are our future. Sound like your an awesome Dad. Keep up the good work. Cheers.

2 Likes

I’d vote heavily against the Hofner only because the hollow bodies are more delicate, easier to damage, and - in my experience - don’t generally make the bass sounds that my younger students want to make.
translation: They don’t do rock styles very well.

4 Likes

My V7 is my heaviest bass. A consideration. The U series by Sire is a lighter weight version

Good to know @Gio, thanks!

1 Like

My daughter is 7 and our Jaguar is too heavy for her liking (even a short scale one, I’d wager you’re looking at a CHONK of wood!) but the Ibanez suits her well. They’re both full-scale and I think the weight is a bigger issue than the long necks. But that’s my kid, and yours may disagree, hehe.

Love this thread! How exciting for your girl to be getting into music :smiley:

4 Likes

The Afinity Jaguar is a smaller sized bass than the normal Jag and should suit fine.

3 Likes