Lanny, where are you?

I haven’t seen Lanny around in ages. Someone said he changed his screen name, but I don’t recall to what. I always found his posts interesting, and somehow miss seeing them.
I would think with whatever his new screen name is I would recognize his posts or his profile photo. He seems to be missing, and I miss him. as well.
I hope he is okay…

6 Likes

If I remember correctly it was @eric.kiser that mentioned Lanny changed his handle to @Lanny and according to his activity he was last seen November 2nd.

We’ve been having a lot of MIAs lately :frowning:

6 Likes

Yep, pretty sure he’s @Lanny now.

7 Likes

yeah I hope everything is fine for him :confused:

8 Likes

Definitely one of the stand up guys/gals on here. Sadly missed

5 Likes

He made a post on his blog on the 16th (14 days after he was last seen here). Maybe try to reach him through there?

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/11/16/whipping-post/

4 Likes

As long as I know he’s okay, that’s what matters.

4 Likes

I also think we have the name change explained here:
https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/the-artists/griffin-site-tester/

The doggie took over his account! The revolution has begun

3 Likes

My best guess is he’s just taking some time off . . . but can’t send him any PM’s either :thinking:

4 Likes

also he doesn’t have a good internet connectivity

5 Likes

He just posted this:

https://bilgerats.billlanahan.com/2020/11/27/drink-a-beer/

5 Likes

Are you trying to PM the previous account name? Keep in mind he changed it to @Lanny

Edit:
Nevermind. Got it. The pms are disabled on his profile

4 Likes

Maybe he’s mad at us :crying_cat_face:

3 Likes

lol why would he be mad at us?

4 Likes

All - Thanks for the concern.

The month of November has always been a tough month for me. Veterans day,… the former passing of one of my best friends that I served with (Did a Cover for him),…. the extensive damage suffered to the hull of the old diesel sub we served on combined with the physical and emotional damage incurred to most of the crew when that 350’ long metal underwater suppository (supposedly) collided with the bottom of the ocean floor in the South China Sea… Things we did, that we ‘apparently’ didn’t do,… places we’ve been, but ‘apparently’ never were,…. encounters we’ve had that ‘apparently’ never happened…. Such was life on an old antiquated diesel electric submarine during the Vietnam and the Cold Wars.

Fifty years ago may seem like a long time to most but for many who have served, it is always only a nightmare away. Many who don’t fully understand will always relate stress disorder with actual “combat” situations, and for the most part, I suppose it is…. However,…. Unlike being in a firefight with an enemy on the battlefield, or even on a Naval surface vessel,…. being on a submarine is a bit different. On a battlefield during an encounter with the enemy, individuals may be killed or wounded. On a surface craft or vessel, compartments may be damaged, and its inhabitants killed or wounded but…… When things go severely wrong on a submerged submarine, all hands – the entire crew – are in peril and no one survives if the boat is lost. An “all or nothing” sort of thing…. Maybe that’s why most all submariners are “all or nothing” sort of people.

At the beginning of November knowing the thoughts and memories of my past would again resurface, I decided that I would remove myself from all forms of Social Media (other than my blogs – which no one reads or listens to anyway), and “Go Silent, Go Deep” for the entire month in order to once again deal with these “ghosts”. Hopefully this explains why I needed to completely isolate myself - always for the good of both myself and those that I’m around.

I’m fortunate to have a wife that has not only put up with my “moods” (and nightmares) over the past 45 years, but who has also grown to understand that there are times when I HAVE to be totally alone and isolated in order to “mentally” work through and deal with the ghosts of my past. For the most part I always seem to come out of it all a somewhat better well rounded person…. I guess I’ve learned and trained myself to get through these times without the dependency of drugs or alcohol (Key Word here: “Dependency”) :wink:

Moving on and moving forward while learning from past experience’s is to me what matters. Sometimes it’s healthy to take a good look back to see just how far you’ve come over time – and I suppose that’s what I’ve done this past month. Speaking of moving on, I’ve also moved on a bit and became a little more active outside of the B2B forum which is a good thing. Venue’s such as various Facebook Bass Groups, and Bandmix, along with numerous bass blogs that I have found online offer a ton of information and interaction that I have found helpful.

As for my bass playing,…. All Good!! I even managed to put together a couple Music Video Covers – one of which has me playing two different bass’s for tone comparison. Maybe I’ll post them in a bit…. For now, I’ll quit “Rambling On” here, and work on the Jimmy Page “Ramble On” version and try my best to slam out a few John Paul Jones bass riffs…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

17 Likes

Glad to see you again, Lanny . . . :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Lanny thank you so much for sharing this. It is good to hear how self aware you are about what you are dealing with and that you do everything in your power to set yourself up for success (backing off social media and such). I spent 6 years in the Navy, and last year after 5 years out, I got a promotion at work which triggered all sorts of PTSD. I remember feeling angry to admit that it was PTSD, because I felt like having it as a vet that didn’t see combat like most people you normally associate with PTSD somehow diminishes what those guys went through, but my wife and therapist both convinced me that is completely illogical. My experience was enough that years later I still have physical responses to those thoughts and memories. That is a chemical imbalance in my brain, and is irrelevant to compare what I deal with versus what anyone else might have.

My main point for chiming in here is to highly recommended looking into Accelerated Resolution Therapy. It sounds crazy, but helped me tremendously. I still get anxious and such, but it was able to eliminate the nightmares and runaway invasive thoughts that I used to deal with which makes a world of difference. The idea is that certain traumatic memories get stored in a different part of your brain than most memories. When those memories are triggered in the part of your brain associated with the trauma, that triggers the adrenaline rush and fight or flight response. After a few sessions of the therapy they help those memories move to the part of your brain where it becomes strictly informational, and doesn’t trigger the physical response. Sleeping through the night without reliving stressful nightmares makes everything else that much easier to deal with the next day. Life changing difference for me personally.
Wishing you the best, keep taking care of yourself!

8 Likes

Right back atcha Joe…

4 Likes

@Lanny (Lanny)…

Good to see you my friend! As an Army brat of a Viet Nam era soldier (passed on and flying a Huey in Heaven now days), and a father of two soldiers (both sons served, both are medically disabled, and God fearing, Tax Paying, Contributing to Society civilians now), I can only say THANK YOU to you (and all vets - on B2B and otherwise)!

Unless someone has “been there” we cannot fathom the things you’ve seen and endured but you have our full support and we love ya man. Thanks for always being an encouragement to so many of us.

As a wise man I know always says…Keep on Thumpin’!

JD

8 Likes

Thanks JD… One of my grandsons left for Army Basic a month ago. Another grandson got out of the Army just last year… Guess that" why I took the one Squire P bass that I bought over ten years ago and gave it the “Army” Black and Gold motif…

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

6 Likes