Learning a Doors song (yes, I know, I know)

Right off the bat, I’ll say the Doors are overall a fairly crappy band, or more accurately a middlin’ band with a narcissistic blowhard for a frontman. Most of their songs are catchy, but dull andand the lyrics are at grade 6 level. They require massive beer to be enjoyed. However as a broken clock, blah, blah, correct hour, blah blah, they have two genuine masterpieces, or so I think. These are ‘The End’ and ‘Riders on the Storm’.

Riders in particular has a (deceptively) simple but very groovy bass line. The difficulty is in the endurance moreso than in any complexity. I am very fond of it, so I’ve decided to learn it. I have it worked out tonally (famous last words) but I’m still fingering out the fingering. So, the main line is a repeating 2-bar segment of E-B-G-B | E-A-C#-A.
I finger it like so alternating index-middle fretting
A -2-2 | --4-
E 0-3- | 05-5

Do you folks have any alternate suggestions to try? Any other fretting fingerings that may be more efficient?

2 Likes

Personally I would play this I/M/M/I I/M/I/I

1 Like

Interesting. I pluck it alternating.

Seems easier to me to just let the repeating finger hit both notes since it’s already in position, flows a bit better for me

So i tried to play it starting with the ring finger and somehow find myself inverting, meaning that on the next pass I’m starting with my index. Fully strange. However if i use the index for the opening E and the B, it smooths out and plays nice. I can play it alternating, but the second bar feels rushed? I cant explain what i mean there. What i do know is it feels like most (if not all) doors basslines are actually written to be played on a keyboard. I’ve been trying to nail “peace frog” for better than a year. Good luck, my friend.

2 Likes

Pretty harsh!

5 Likes

Harsh? Yes.
Funny? Also yes. :rofl:

4 Likes

Any band one doesn’t like can be called crappy for any one of myriad reasons. God knows there are lots of forum members’ fave bands/artists I’d characterize as such. It’s all just subjective opinion.

3 Likes

Absolutely, except for mine. Only my opinion is truly objective :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Damn. And all this time I thought it was mine. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

All must bow to our Canadian oligarchs :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah, but all this Joni Mitchell worship is making me sick :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

The world at large gets to decide about Joni and The Doors. And it has.

2 Likes

Let the record show that, in addition to being a unique talent, Joni was one of the first to recognize how great Jaco Pastorius was.

1 Like

And that is correct. Ray Manzarek played bass with his left hand on the Fender Rhodes Piano Bass atop the Vox Continental organ.

3 Likes

True. The Doors only used a bass player on studio recordings. Ray’s distinct jazz influence shaped the band’s unique sound.

2 Likes

As a keyboard player I have a lot of respect for Ray. That said I will also be up front about the Doors being the reason I don’t like the Vox/Hammond/Leslie style of rock keyboard.

Rhodes are classics though :slight_smile:

Ray Manzarek absolutely held that band together.

1 Like

Yup. Despite Morrison’s best efforts to skunk it.

They really seem fairly typical to me for bands of that era, dysfunction-wise. Some exceptionally ill advised taste in lovers towards the end there as well I guess, but hey, it was the '70s. The whole decade was ill-advised.

2 Likes

Yeah. I mean disco.

OTOH Iron Maiden started then and Zappa did a lot of his best stuff too.

As far as Morrison goes, the best summarry of his life was done by Denis Leary:

"Let me tell you something. We need a two and a half hour movie about the Doors? Folks, no we don’t. I can sum it up for you in five seconds, ok. I’m drunk. I’m nobody. I’m drunk. I’m famous. I’m drunk. I’m fucking dead. There’s the whole movie, ok!? Big fat dead guy in a bath tub!