Learning songs that don't fit on one page

This is how I view and play Paranoid by Black Sabbath.
The bass for the most is following along, or keeping the riff going during the solo. you can play the bass roll in the riff, or the straight riff as you choose.
I personally play the bass roll on all of them except during the guitar solo, there I play the riff straight like the guitar would, without the roll

3 Likes

Not at all. That was a good read. Thanks.

1 Like

Good Idea there…!

2 Likes

Thanks @jswank59 - works for me… Guess that’s all that matters - oh, and it was pretty inexpensive because I had all of the materials on hand already.

Keep on Thumpin’!
Lanny

5 Likes

My music stand will display two pages at a time, each page can hold 8 lines of music notation. This means between the two pages, I have 64 bars in front of me before I have to turn a page.
The problem that I find is so many of the printed scores also have a line for tablature, which cuts that in half.
What I’ve been doing lately (If I really want to learn a song) is using an app called Cresendo and manually re-scoring the music (sans the tab). This accomplishes a couple of things:
(a) Gets rid of the tab, so I’m back to 32 bars per sheet
(b) By the time I’m done re-scoring the piece, I’ve got a pretty good handle on what I need to play.

Needless to say, this method doesn’t help those who still play from tab. Sorry

3 Likes

So my page turner pedal arrived on Monday, and after 4 days of use I have to say it’s kind of a game changer for me. Today I was finally able to play along to Otherside from start to finish without having memorized the entire thing, and without having printed out the sheet music.

It definitely takes some getting used to however, and brings its own challenges. Initially it was quite distracting, and tapping the pedal threw off my rhythm sometimes (my workaround for the time being is that I only flip pages on beat 1). But I can already see the benefits: I spend much less time staring at my fretting fingers, more time reading the sheet music (and getting better at it hopefully), and obviously the main benefit is that I don’t have to forcefully memorize entire songs.

Good stuff, I can only recommend it.

9 Likes

Great stuff. If I get to playing to sheet like that in the future, I will probably get one myself.

3 Likes

Forgot to mention that mine has really loud microswitches under the pedals and does a very audible click, so if you record yourself using a microphone then this is not the one for you. I think there are quiet pedals out there, so if this would be an issue for you then do some research before you buy.

5 Likes

I love the idea that “we can adapt.” Innovation in the time of need… Love it…!

3 Likes

“Necessity is the mother of invention”, as the saying goes…

Normally, I can memorize the intro, first verse, and first chorus; and the rest of the song just repeats. The song I’m working on now is different. The chord changes are all over the place: every verse and every chorus are different. The bassline I wrote from the chord chart is 5 pages long, and there’s no way I can turn the pages while I rehearse.
So, I made this extension to my music stand out of a cardboard box that was about to go into the recycle bin. I have to memorize the entire song so I can shoot the video for my cover (also if I ever get to play it live).

9 Likes

At least rhythmically, it looks very “uniform” with a repeating pattern… I am confident you can learn this by heart :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

3 Likes

Yes, rhythmically that is true. Chord changes however are a different story.

2 Likes

Good idea, Pam @PamPurrs . . . it’s a real PITA to follow sheet music (or tabs) that don’t fit on a single page.

(If I wasn’t so old and lazy, I’d try to read sheet music like you :wink: )

Cheers,
Joe

3 Likes

House of the Rising Sun was like that. It was the inspiration for this thread. :slight_smile:

I ended up with a similar setup by the way, bought a Manhasset Voyager stand and two extenders (I think they call them “stand outs” or something). It’s really good, fits 4-5 A4 pages when fully extended, and you can just slide them in when you don’t need that much space.

6 Likes

That looks like a very nice stand, but…

Yikes! It’s pricey. (On Amazon)

For as infrequently as I have such a need, I think I’ll stick with my cardboard extender.

2 Likes

This seems like a prime use for an iPad. I wonder if someone makes a footswitch to flip pages.

edit: yep, it’s a small niche industry, actually.

4 Likes

Yeah, I think @gcancella has talked about them somewhere…

Ah, I see you found them :grinning:

3 Likes

Do you know if these work with PDF pages? That’s the only way I’d be able to use one: I’d have to convert my Crescendo sheets to PDF and upload them to my tablet

2 Likes

Yeah I have a page turner as well (the Moukey in your link), I briefly reviewed it further up in this thread

3 Likes

I have no idea - I just found those via google. Ideally they could map to scroll actions or something.

Ahh, cool, I should have just read the thread :slight_smile:

So the bluetooth pedals map to page up/down and so on? that should be fine.

2 Likes