Line 6 is back in the bass game

Line 6 is back in the bass game, with a new specific POD for bass.

It’s a pedal format with a rather weird control layout (I don’t like when they do the alt button thing, like on the Bass Floor POD). In Europe it will be sold for 220€.

For some reason it looks a bit like a toy to me, at least compared to the previous POD’s.

10 Likes

It seems to me like it could be a nice practicing tool and an inexpensive way to get to know some effects. I definitely has a different format and a very different UI which I think makes sense. I don’t think it is meant to be a pro level tool or part of a pro pedalboard. But in conjunction with a small practice amp that you already have it’s like buying a Boss Dual Bass LX.
I’m surprised to see the price you mention since it seems to sell for $179 in USA but then here in Mexico it is probably going to be sold for $250 or more. And that the power supply unit is not included…

Here is a link to the manual:
https://line6.com/data/6/0a020a4015…pdf/POD Express Owner’s Manual - English .pdf

1 Like

Yeah the prices in Europe can be very different, I don’t know why really but that’s no exception.

What is really interesting with this new POD is that Line 6 could go back to specific bass gear. They stopped specific bass gear with the POD X3 (excellent gear by the way), after the Bass POD XT (not very good to be honest), and the Lowdown amplifier line had a short life, probably for bad reasons because those amps are quite good.
Considering what they have created 20-25 years ago, it’s a really good news to see them release bass specific gear again, I think.

I don’t like the user interface but this new POD is still a compact powerful modeler, with specific bass tones, not very expensive, that will fit in most pedalboards. Not so bad overall :slight_smile:

… but, as some of you know, I’m an avid user of the old professionnal Line 6 stuff. Say rackmount preamps with a lot of connectivity and high-end DAC. So yeah this new pedal-POD looks like a toy to me, somewhat. Still an interesting toy.

2 Likes

Agreed. I had a Lowdown Studio 110 that was a great little amp. Worked well for guitar too. Almost sorry I sold it.

2 Likes

I have a LD300 Pro but yeah the Studio 110 is an interesting amp. Nice tones in a very compact form factor. I think that’s the same preamp on all the Lowdown line, including the (weird but cool) Bass Floor POD.

2 Likes

I heard they used the models from the Helix. On paper this looks really good tbh. I think this new POD is a smart move from Line6 even if it looks like a toy to some. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I like the idea of something quick to grab for a practice session with headphones. I’ve got a Mooer Prime P1 and a Spark Go so probably don’t need something like this, but would allow to play without needing to get out my phone.

1 Like

i have an HX stomp and i really like it. but this video goes a long way towards making the case that helix is more than starting to get long in the tooth at this point. i’m wondering if they will at some point soon give the whole thing a much needed re-boot.

The helix line really covers the high end professional side equivalent to your rack mount stuff, so I see this more as going back to the bedroom segment.

Looks pretty interesting. The tone presets sounded pretty clean to me. Lots of people saying they didn’t like the synth sounds but pretty much everyone ragging on this thing hasn’t even used it :man_shrugging:t2:

Great price for what it can do though!

Overnighted one from sweetwater, will report back tomorrow evening after I’ve had time to play around with it! If I hate it I’ll sell it to someone for $150 :kissing_heart:

5 Likes

A great demo (as always) by Nate Navarro

2 Likes

Nice demo. The thing sounds pretty good.

I was waiting for the modulation part, especially the flanger and it doesn’t sound very good. Maybe the settings can allow the change of rate/delay/etc but it’s strange ; the other default effects sounded quite good.

Is it me or does the outer shell of the Pod looks like plastic?

One reason for that difference is that in Europe the sales tax is included, US price tends to exclude it, as far as I know.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’m aware of that but I sure hope that it also includes the import taxes. $70 sales tax seems very steep. It’s similar in Mexico for just about anything. For a $180 item in the US I can basically add 30-35% percent extra between the US tax plus the import tax. I’ve been offered a few great discounts on Reverb for used items that are still more expensive after shipping and taxes than buying it new on Amazon. Cheers!

1 Like

So for what this pedal does and it’s price compared to a Boss Dual Cube LX ($299) purely for practicing purposes and low volume use, which one would you pick?
Let’s suppose your big amp sounds bad at very low volume and you prefer very low volume to using headphones.

Yes, VAT is 20% on tech. If you add import fees like shipping, plus margin you’ll get 30% at least.

Also consider that most devices must pass the EU safety standards to be sold here and the device must be compliant with the electric standards of the countries so it may be a special model for Europe.

1 Like

Yes, you can change it some of the effects rates the tap tempo button. Here’s a more in depth review of both the guitar and bass versions that shows it: https://youtu.be/ry8reZlakH4?si=ghaOZXXtj9KVYN2G

Yes, it’s plastic.

1 Like

Well I was pretty excited to check out the pedal this evening but I have sliced my middle finger on my left hand prettyyyyy badly at work today. Good thing is that it was with a fresh razor blade so the cut is quite clean, should heal quickly. Any pro tips on how to fret with a sliced open finger? :tired_face:

2 Likes

bartenders bandaid, ie superglue

2 Likes

Yeah I was thinking that. Not sure if my duct tape bandaid is a proper fix :rofl:

3 Likes