Looking For Other Experiences (COVID)

Just to give this thread a check, this is about experiences with the virus. Not opinions about vaccines etc. we try to stay out of that discussion.

Thanks all!

8 Likes

I guess not everyone’s immune system is the same.
Do they recommend the Covid series for people with HIV?

3 Likes

My experience is no vaccine and no virus.
My friends experience with the vaccine have had the virus.

You’re welcome!

Vaccines and boosters wane over time. Getting vaccinated once, twice, or more doesn’t preclude a person from getting the virus. Neither does it mean that it doesn’t protect a person during the months-long time a given vaccine/booster is viable.

I wish there were a one-and-done Covid vaccine. They’re working to develop one.

On a good Covid-related note, scientists have recently reported success with a one-and-done flu vaccine in animal tests. And they attribute the advance as having been founded on Covid-related research.

7 Likes

I’ve always been interested in the outdoors (climbing / mountaineering etc) so naturally I’ve read some of Reinhold Messner’s books. He’s an Italian climber who amongst many things was the first to solo Everest and climb all 14 peaks over 8000 meters.

In one of his books (I think it was Moving Mountains) he talks about making mistakes and importantly making decisions based on too little data.

He says that just because you make a mistake and get away with it numerous times and don’t get hurt; it’s still a mistake.

I apply this thought process to lots of things now, in my work and outdoor pursuits. My personal experience and close friends shared experience of the virus constitute too little data. I have to look at a much larger pool of data to extrapolate anything meaningful. The overwhelming peer reviewed evidence worldwide is that if you were going to gamble on vaccine vs no vaccine then the smart bet is take the vaccine.

I’m not here to persuade anyone either way. But anecdotal evidence based on a very small sample size is always going to be poor data. I trust the science, because on average my life is better with advances in science than not. YMMV.

10 Likes

sorry

2 Likes

Hi @K_Miller

This is really not the intent of this thread.
This thread is for folks to share what they went through when they had/have covid, to help each other understand symptoms, etc, and has been kept that way by the community on purpose.

We had a Covid thread that went off course like this that @JoshFossgreen shut down becuase it started leaning in the wrong direction.

I think we can all help get this thread back on course and not get into the big covid debate, which really doesn’t belong here and goes against the principles of the forum.

Thanks in advance everyone!

9 Likes

I have always found the ‘Australian flu’ will be the US flu in the following season. Ever wonder why it’s not the other way around?
I am skeptical that there could be a ‘one and done’ based on mutation, but who knows? Supposedly herd immunity comes from the blunting of virulence of the current virus by ones immune system; eg, when your immune system has drubbed a virus, it’s much less potent should I catch it from you.

I do too!
It’s definitely possible to talk about immunity and natural health without dragging politics and religion into the discussion, which seems that the MSM keeps trying to do.

1 Like

Interesting analogy.
My best friend has summited Rainerr twice, and if i was to go, it would be under his guidance and no-one else. We learned a lot together breeding tropical fish. My Jack Demseys did quite well on a diet of fresh mosquito larvae. They were quite verile and prolific, with very healthy offspring. Contrast this to feeding your fish dried flakes from a canister on a shelf. Our bodies are the same; feed yourself a diet of living food as opposed to dried, packaged or preserved food.

Well taken
We’re all different and just because something works well for me, doesn’t mean it will for you. I used to get the seasonal flu every year until i upped my vitamin D intake, now I never get it. Perhaps it’s just the maturation of my immune system? Might be, but I read somewhere that 80% of your immune system is in your gut. Primary immune system of the sinuses produce mucous to shed viruses into your acidic stomach. It was a very interesting article that i read in Vegetarian Times regarding Vitamin C and cold virus latency.

I’m sitting at home today with some kind of COVID / flu / RSV bug or whatever because a colleague came into the office coughing and spluttering and didn’t bother to wear a mask (she took a couple of days off with some kind of bronchitis later). Two flipping years I dodged all that nonsense and here I am trying and failing to complete work. Dammit.

Fortunately I’ve got all my COVID updates so worst comes to the worst I won’t end up in intensive care. A friend’s dad (about 60-70 years old) collapsed and went into a coma a couple of months back and it looks like he’s not coming out. They’re not sure how it happened but he’s not fully vaccinated and had recovered from COVID a couple of weeks before… My fully vaxxed father-in-law (over 70) got hit last Summer and he just spent a few days on the sofa binging Breaking Bad on Netflix.

Careful @Ant - viruses can mutate to become more infectious and more virulent -look at ebola. You just roll the dice every time they change. I’m guessing that more mutations improve infectivity than virulence, since they can evade the immune system.

4 Likes

I agree that a healthy balanced diet is important.

The reason I don’t have Polio is because someone developed a vaccine.

I don’t eat fish food as it makes my breath smell bad.

I’m not replying to anything else from you on this subject re not getting vaccinated. You do you, I’m really here for Bass and not the vegan tofu wrap.

7 Likes

Hey! Vegan tofu wraps belong in the food thread, and have nothing to do with the spread of coronavirus misinformation by a website that gives Joseph Mercola a platform.

Plus, they can be delicious - don’t knock 'em if you haven’t tried a good one! :stuck_out_tongue: :yum:

6 Likes

Never had good tofu.

1 Like

To help keep this thread on track, here’s a home for all things tofu.

2 Likes

3 Likes

We already have a food thread. We don’t need threads for tofu, or peanut butter or anything else.

Can we please stop diluting threads by creating unnecessary threads when a convo does a brief sidebar?
This forum is a small, neat and tidy community and in my opinion it’s one of its charms.
Keeping things simple and focused lets everyone enjoy the forum easily Vs looking at it as too overwhelming.

3 Likes

Hey y’all, I’m closing this thread. I appreciate the general civility y’all have approached this delicate subject with, but after a few issues and flagged posts I think this thread has run its course.