Looper Pedals

Very true. There are times when the human factor behind the music is much more interesting to me than the music or the performance.

Maybe there are more people out there interested in this than I realize. They did just bring back the show, Behind the Music.

I still think it’s fair to say most people are content with just consuming the final product.

1 Like

I think I actually enjoy everything that goes in to music production as a whole more than I do the act of playing the instruments. Long way to go on both, so I guess that’s good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Fully agree - and agree with this in every iteration.
Most people don’t know what it takes to get hot water to come out of their taps that won’t kill them or infect them if they drink it - or how to pitch a roof and make sure it’s water tight or how what goes into making the perfect pizza dough.

Craft is craft, and that’s why it’s so fun to find those groups of people (like here!) who are all diving into the same deep waters - because getting to talk about the niche elements, gear, nuances and jargony bits is something that exhausts and bores everyone else!

9 Likes

I am guilty of exhausting and boring other people with my music talk. That’s one of the things that makes this forum work for me. I can post something with whatever detail I want to put into it and others can choose to read it or not. Sometimes it about being able to get it all out for something you’ve spent so much time researching and working on.

5 Likes

Boss has put out two new high end Loop Stations.

The new RC-600 Floor-Based Loop Station is the update for the venerable RC-300.
BOSS - RC-600 | Loop Station

The RC-505MKII Tabletop Loop Station is the update for the RC-505.
BOSS - RC-505mkII | Loop Station

Each is US $599.99 and the RC-600 looks like a pretty serious competitor in the high end multi effects market.

1 Like

I checked those out at lunch… I was going to post some stuff too; you saved me some “work” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I’ve skimmed through the thread (sorry for reviving) and some of you had/have the ditto looper and are, in general, satisfied with it from what I can tell.

Did someone test the Ditto +?

From what I gather it has a nice display so you can see what you’re doing, the possibility to save loops and also import loops onto it from the PC with the USB-connection it has.

I want to play together with a drummer and we have our setup almost complete for drums + bass. The initial idea I had was to play some chords on the guitar and loop them through to have a bit more than just bass. Now I’m not sure I want to go through the hassle of playing it myself. From what I understand I could prepare backing tracks as loops and import them onto this thing and then play together with my drummer.
And it also does everything a “normal” looper does.

Including an “extend recording” feature. Meaning you can record 1 bar and if you record again and take more time it just loops the initial bar until you stop instead of looping back around just that 1 bar.

While writing this post and researching the features I convinced myself. I’ll sleep over it, but actually I am pretty sold on that ditto + thingie.

1 Like

If I’d live in the US, I’d instantly buy this thing, Sweetwater has a deal on it for 75$.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DittoPls--tc-electronic-ditto-looper-pedal

No such good deals here in Germany, though.

3 Likes

I probably still buy it for the 125€ price at Thomann.
I need it soon and it seems to be the best option with a good amount of variety on how to use it.

Thanks for reinforcing my decision with your enthusiasm, though :wink:

2 Likes

125€ seems to be still a very good price, imo.

With the Sweetwater price, my question “Do I have a use case for this?” would have been answered with “I’LL FIND ONE!” :smiley:

2 Likes

I have this and it is really really really fun and easy to use.

2 Likes

i have both the aeros looper and the ditto +, kind of opposite ends of the looper spectrum. they are both excellent.

2 Likes

Dang. That Aeros Looper is a serious looping machine.

2 Likes

yeah, it’s really not a looper. i mean it is but it’s a lot more. i think it will be a perfect machine to craft whole songs with… eventually. when i find it. in one of the boxes in my basement, moving sux :rofl:

3 Likes

As someone who doesn’t own a pedalboard and only has a distortion pedal from my guitar times I didn’t think of having to order a power supply seperate to the ditto+.

All the small tc electronics pedals need an external power supply. No option to use a 9V battery.

1 Like

@itsratso I’ve been looking at the Ditto+, and have seen some comments online about various problems. Be interested in your take on this since you’ve had your hands on one, if you don’t mind cheers. I really want to get the Ditto+.

Some people are moaning about the lack of a manual (this does seem bizarre to me?) - but in practice is this really an issue?

Others have had problems with backing tracks uploaded to the looper not playing it seems (maybe this was an earlier firmware?).

And the other issue seems to be that although it claims an hour’s loop time, due to the high sample rate you have to upload backing tracks at, people are saying you can upload 5 or so backing tracks only before running out of memory? Is that right?
Is there any choice of file sample rate? What does it expect?

Thanks, any first hand feedback on the above would be appreciated, many thanks.

1 Like

Well I had no idea I could do this!
There is a manual, it is a small piece of paper (about the size of a napkin) and tells you nothing.

If you notice, it tells you to go to the website for the actual manual, which, does not exist.
I do see it says you can load audio files on the napkin above, but it does not tell you where or how to go about doing it.

I am less and less impressed by TC Electronic’s functionality and usability in general. I sold the Polytune3 and replaced it with a far superior Peterson. And the Flashback Delay I have is so confusing I have yet to sort it all out totally, but I know its a good unit.

4 Likes

My parents are actors. When my little sister realized that people paid attention to us, she started assuming some airs. So they took her to work with them; a couple of 16-hour days took some of the luster off and she settled right back into our “it paid for college” attitude.

Few want to see the sausage being made.

3 Likes

My ex-father-in-law took up some extra work in NYC during retirement.
His assessment of it - “Its boring most of the time, exciting for a few minutes a day, but the food is amazing”

2 Likes

I am no longer a fan. They seem like they are basically just more expensive Behringers now. For which I will just go to Behringer.

They have a few standout products (the POG, etc) but for the most part, they wouldn’t get my money. I’m 50/50 for defective products from them, and the one that was good was a reskinned Behringer. Granted it was really good though.

4 Likes