M.I.A missing members

you are only 361 days older then me, not a full year. lol
I will be 50 before you are 51.
Of course, I stopped having birthdays when I turned 39, so I am really just 39 plus 10

6 Likes

I will be taking a little time out from the forum. it could be anywhere from 10 days to a month or more, I really don’t know how long it is going to take.

Ever since I was in the hospital in October 2010, and the doctor that is really not a doctor in the sense that he was treating my infection and health, would not give me any pain killers, specifically any IV opiate pain releivers.

I was in excruciating pain, my leg, the flesh was being eaten alive by the virus, and it felt like my leg was in a vat of molten lava, plus I was in extreme shock because of it, and the Dr said I could have no IV pain meds, I can only have either Suboxone or Methadone.

Suboxone does nothing for pain, it fills the Opiate receptors in your brain and blocks them to keep any other opiate drugs from entering them.
It will also kick out any opiates that are in your receptors.
Suboxone is 2 part medication, buprenorphine and Naloxone (Narcan)
The first fills the receptor to prevent withdrawals and the latter kicks out any other opiate that is in the receptor,
That is why they use NARCAN for overdose victims, it kicks out all the opiates from the receptors so the body can come out of respiratory failure.

So, that is not really a pain killer and although it helps some with pain, it does nothing for me.

Methadone, horrible stuff. Actually both of them are horrible because they have such a long half life, coming off of them is horrendously long and painful. Not quick and painful like a tornado like detoxing from opiates mainly heroine, but long and slow and feels like it goes on for days and days and days and weeks and weeks, it is jut awful, either one of those, they are not a good choice for a dr to use to treat a patient in terrible pain in a hospital setting

Also, either one, after being on them for 3 weeks in the hospital, you are either going to have horrible withdrawals or have to stay on it as a maintenance drug.

So this evil Dr in the hospital put me on heavy doses of Methadone for the duration of my stay, and sent me out of the hospital with orders to go to a methadone clinic and get on methadone maintenance.
I was literally begging him in tears not to do this to me, for days on end when I first got there I was pleading non stop to not put me on this stuff, it was like my worst nightmare coming true.

and its not like you can switch back to suboxone after being on methadone for 3 weeks, like I said, narcan will kick the methadone out of your receptors and within 5 minutes you will be in reciprocated withdrawals (look it up) which is pure hell. it is like the worst 5 days of your detox hits you instantly, not gradually, and you are in hell for about 8 hours, and when that part is over, you are still withdrawing, bad, just not in reciprocated withdrawals.
Sadly, I know from experience, worst experience in my life.

Anyway, since I got out of the hospital, with this new methadone habit last October 2020, I have been looking non stop for a detox that will take me on my state insurance to medically detox me from this poison that has made my life miserable every day since I have left the hospital.
I haev a case worker at the medical clinic I go to, and family members that have been working for 6 months to try and get me somewhere.
They would find a place, but it was in the wrong county, and my insurance would not approve crossing counties, or I was on too high a dose, and would have to taper down to a lower dose to be admitted (which I have tapered down quite a bit in 6 months, but nowhere near being completely off).

So I got a phone call last night and they said there is a place that will take me on Wednesday morning, I have to be there at 9am.
So off I go, and how long this sill take, I don’t know.

This is also not uncommon in hospitals across the USA now, if you go in with any history of opiate addiction, or for an overdose they will not treat you with pain meds, that they can pretty quickly taper you off while stil in the hospital and send you home with like a few days to a week of vicoden or percocet and you can be clean and free within a week.
Now they offer you Suboxone or Methadone.
They did this to my daughter last March when she went in the hospital.
I had to fire her pain management doctor and get hospital management involved and demanded they treat her like any other patiend, and give her the regular medication that she needs (after an amputation) to kill the pain right now, and then get her off the meds by the time she is out of the hospital.
They were trying to put her on a life of supoxone or methadone at 18 years old. Had I not been there fighting for her in the very beginning, she would have been in bad shape, and luckily I did it before the hospitals closed for COVID, that was almost a year ago, around the 16th of March 2020

I was in the hospital in October and had no family in there to tell the doctors to take a flying leap, and put me on the regular meds, and they would not let me advocate for myself because I am an admitted addict. its like you need to lie to not get treated like shit now.
I have talked to others in the medical field that have confirmed how wrong they see doctors in the ER and hospitals do this to patients all the time

Anyway, enough about that, I am taking off in the morning, wont have phone or computer access til I get home and IDK when that will be. 2 weeks? 3 weeks? 6 weeks? guess I will find out in the morning, after they take my phone and Ipad.

At least I can bring a bass with me.

19 Likes

Good luck man. We’ll be here when you get through this.

7 Likes

Good luck @T_dub!

6 Likes

Good luck brother @T_dub
Thoughts will be with you and looking forward to your return

5 Likes

Good luck with everything Toby @T_dub,
We will all be thinking of you and will be looking forward to having you back real soon,
Stay safe,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Good luck @T_dub Toby!

5 Likes

All the best @T_dub!

My wife is an addiction therapist and I’ve heard stories of exactly what you are describing. The medical community can behave terribly on this front. The official “national opioid crisis” has really forced some bad behavior.

8 Likes

Yeah, I admit I have done this to myself plenty of times, and paid for it, and cleaned up and changed my path, and use my story to help others, but then to have doctors force it upon me, that is just insane.

Thanks, it is great to hear it from others so it doesn’t always feel like it is just in my head. I know its not, but you tell your story enough times to a deaf ear, and when someone finally says, yep, I know exactly what you are talking about, it is somewhat relieving.

9 Likes

Why the hell would they give you Narcan? I used to be an EMT and we would give it to kids ho OD’ed, and it was not pretty watching them get flushed out in minutes. That is awful.

I will have surgery in 13 days and they’ve already told me I can’t get opiates post op. I will have to live with the pain. This is crazy.

Anyways, best of luck man.

7 Likes

They didn’t give me Narcan, they gave me the choice of Suboxone (which I was just coming off when I went in the hospital) or Methadone.
I never had narcan for an OD
I was in detox back in October 2019, last time I got clean, last time I used.
I was 30 hours in when I took Suboxone, and you are supposed to wait 24 hours and be in clinical opiate withdrawal before you take suboxone because of the Naloxone (Narcan) that is in it, or you go into reciprocated withdrawals.
Well, when I went into detox last time, I was at the worst time in my life addiction wise, I was doing so much heroine a day and that was not enough so I was topping it off with a gram of Fentynal, daily.
Most medical staff I have encountered, are not trained in Fentynal, they think it is just a standard opiate. fact is it won’t even show up on a standard 12 or 15 panel UA, you need to use a special strip.
when my daughter was in the hospital, and they said she had no drugs in her system, I asked if they did a Fentynal strip, and they looked at me like I was crazy, and said she has no drugs in her system.
I said, 'DID YOU DO A STRIP" and they asked what for.
I had to explain to them that Fent will not show up on a standard drug test, you need to do a strip.
they didn’t beleive me and after 15 minutes of arguing, I asked them to go check their facts with somebody who haas a clue, and they came back and said, sorry, we did not do a Fentynal strip.
And YES, my daughter OD’d on Fentynal.

But back to the detox, the staff at the detox, including the Dr. didn’t know you need to wait 48 to 72 hours with Fentynal before taking Suboxone.
And I paid for it dearly.

Same with Methadone, you have to wait 48-72 hours.
and those hours seem like years.

But yeah, to answer your question, I was never given NARCAN directly, I was just explaining how it works in Suboxone and that it does not really do anything for pain, and this is one of my choices I am given by the DR, when I had Flesh Eating Virus attacking my leg, the whole thing from my knee to my toes, all the way around. I have lived with alot of pain, including post op (and I don’t envy you BTW, good luck with that) but that pain having your leg eaten off your body, is not something you can just get thru, at least not for me.

6 Likes

Take good care now, man!!

7 Likes

Godspeed Toby. I hope we hear from you soon.

7 Likes

Good luck @T_dub

7 Likes

I wish you the best Toby. You know you will be in our hearts while you’re absent. Meanwhile, you will be missed.

8 Likes

Good luck to you, @T_dub . . . :+1:

Hope all works out well for you!

Cheers
Joe

7 Likes

Best of luck @T_dub, and thanks for letting us know and for being so open about it.

The forum will be here when you come back!

6 Likes

Good luck @T_dub!
You’re running a mean gauntlet there.
See you on the other side.

10 Likes

This sounds like a malpractice to me and you should probably look into suing this doctor and/or hospital. Try to find other people and maybe go for class action. Good luck and I wish you all the best.

7 Likes

Yeah, as does the idea that someone just gets to live with pain after surgery. Way to party like it’s 1799, doc.

8 Likes