Making a bass cover video

Hi all. Could some one point me in the direction of an easy ‘how to’ guide to make a cover please. I have an iphone and was just going to play along to the music and record it over the iphone (using my amp). This will probably sound sh#t, so what easy option can I use to make it sound a bit better. This is really just for my own practice and to upload some of the 50 songs. Should I get an AI and plug my bass into that and then try to sync the video to the audio I record through my computer? I don’t really know what I’m talking about, this is just what I’m picking up from reading some of the topics, but I really know nothing so any KISS advice would be much appreciated. TIA

6 Likes

Hey @Bassdacious ,
Do you run Apple PC🤔

3 Likes

Hi - I’m on a Mac Book Pro.

4 Likes

Easy, use garageband for audio track, use photo booth to record the video, and mix them together in iMovie.
Do you have a digital audio interface :thinking:, they allow you to plug your bass directly into computer to record the bass track​:+1:

6 Likes

Thanks for that, sounds simple enough. I don’t have an DAI but thinking about buying a cheapo one. So I’d record my bass straight into GB via the interface and then sync it with photo booth in iMovie? I always thought photo booth was a poor quality video, but I’ll have another look (it seemed very grainy on mine, but could be the light).

5 Likes

@Bassdacious ,
I started out making covers exactly as @TNKA36 Brian mentioned. Photo Booth may be a lesser quality, but you already have it and it’s an inexpensive way to get started. If you have any questions when you’re ready to try, ask away. Plenty of helpful people here. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Check out some of my covers @Bassdacious ,
The video quality is ok, just head over to
The user index and have a look at any of my covers,
I USA a presonus 24c DAI, but you can pick one up pretty cheap.
As Jerry @JerryP said, it’s an easy way to record covers,
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

I have the same setup as you. I use my phone to record the video as I like the portability and quality more. Then I just move the video track to my Mac and drag it and the audio track into iMovie.

A other trick I’ve found is that if I have the audio going into the DAI and out into my amp. Then the camera picks up the audio of the track as well. Then in iMovie I match up the audio tracks from both using the waveform patterns and that gets the audio and video in sync. Then mute the audio on the phone track.

6 Likes

I use the RealTone cable I got with Rocksmith works great plugs into a USB and you’re golden. Good luck!

7 Likes

Thanks Brian, had a look and you’re right the quality is pretty good - good enough for my purposes. I’ve ordered a DAI so will play around with it later in the week. Cheers

2 Likes

Good tip - thanks. I’ve ordered a DAI so will play around with some of these things later in the week. Cheers

4 Likes

This thread is great for Apple products but do you have similar suggestions for Android phone and PC users?

3 Likes

I’ve made all my cover videos on my PC and sometimes use my android phone as a second camera (GoPro 9 is my primary camera). What do you need do know?

3 Likes

Primarily what software to use to mix the audio and video.
I have an Android phone and top end PC.

3 Likes

For awhile I used Premier Pro from Adobe, but you have to pay them $20 per month to use it. My last 4 (Psycho Killer, Train Train, People are Strange, and Bitch) were done on Davinci Resolve, which I like much better because it has way more features, and I no longer have to pay extortion to Adobe. Resolve is free for a full blown, usable version with no strings attached. However, I chose to pay the (one time) $300 for the Studio version because I do some higher level projects. However, if you are just planning to shoot cover videos, the free version is adequate. @John_E uses the free version as well.

Resolve does require a powerful machine, but it seems you have that covered with this statement:

3 Likes

Highly reco Resolve. Once you learn what you need it’s effortless. Like any software it has its quirks, but these mess me up due to me not it as I just don’t know how to do everything in it. The undo button works quite well. :rofl:

4 Likes

Or CTRL Z which I use often…

2 Likes

Thank you Pam.

Am downloading Resolve (Free version) as I write this.

So, if I am correct, I can use Resolve to combine the video from my Android phone and the audio from my DAW (Reaper). Is this correct?

2 Questions:

1 - What video and audio formats are best to use?
and
2 - What do you do about the audio that is recorded on the phone?

3 Likes

Thank you for your input on this.
I know nothing about doing this at this point so any information is helpful.

2 Likes

It’s actually very straightforward…

You shoot your video using whatever camera you choose (could be your android, it works quite well), and record the audio simultaneously into your DAW (Reaper).

You then upload the video from your Android onto your PC, and add it to the 1st video track in Resolve.

Next you add your audio track from Reaper to the 2nd audio track (the first track will be the audio from the Android.

Then, you sync the two audio tracks (the Reaper track and the Android track). This will also sync the video track with the audio tracks. There is a simple to use feature in Resolve to do this automatically.

Since the Reaper audio track will be much better quality than the Android audio track, you remove the Android one. Now you have a perfectly aligned audio and video.

Does that help?

2 Likes