Making a bass cover video

Also, if you don’t already have one, this is what I use to mount my phone on the tripod.
Amazon.com : KobraTech Cell Phone Tripod Mount - UniMount 360 Universal iPhone Tripod Mount Adapter with Remote : Camera & Photo

2 Likes

Why sync the Android and Reaper audio tracks?

Can’t I just remove the audio track from the camera in resolve and then add the audio track from Reaper in Resolve and sync them?

2 Likes

Thank you.
Got one.

2 Likes

Resolve has a feature that will align 2 or more audio tracks based on their wave form. It’s very easy to use and can save you lots of headaches down the line. The audio from your phone may not be perfectly aligned with that from Reaper. This is also helpful if you prerecord the audio track (prior to shooting the video) and want to choose which track is better. Often times the prerecorded one is superior to the one you recorded with the video, so may end up using that one.

Yes you can do it manually, but it can be time consuming. My advice to auto align them is just a simple step to save you from problems.

No, you don’t have to do it, it’s entirely up to you.

2 Likes

I understand.

I must say that in all my years playing and performing on musical instruments I have never seen so many rabbit holes to go down since starting Bass at the beginning of 2021. :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Oh… just wait until you start shooting with multiple cameras LOL

3 Likes

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Are you using a separate audio track or just processing the audio and video from the camera?

2 Likes

@Celticstar I can’t speak for @John_E, but I can tell you from experience the audio from the camera or cell phone mic is NEVER good quality. I ALWAYS record directly into Reaper and use that audio track with my video track.

1 Like

I do what @PamPurrs does.
Phone - video (with ambient audio from daw while recording, you need this ambient audio with the backing track audio for the auto-sync and replace in Resolve). Btw, I don’t try to edit down my video on my phone (if multiple bad takes before the good one. I do this in resolve.
Audio - I use Abelton and export my finished track as mp3.

Both files go into Resolve and then I edit the video down to the final take only, you then follow a few steps on auto syncing. Casey Ferris has a good resolve primer but you can search in YouTube on how to do this, there are a few ways and usually very straightforward. That said I’ve run into some quirky things here and there where it doesn’t sync right but I think it’s because I’m doing something wrong. Then you can simply mute the original phone audio track or remove it all together and your video and audio are good to go.

With resolve then you “render” your output to a variety of optimized formats (YouTube, Vimeo, etc) and it exports it. Then you take that file and post to YouTube or Vimeo etc

3 Likes

@PamPurrs we should do a zoom class and record it for folks on how to do all this with you for the Reaper and and me for the Abelton end.

4 Likes

Good idea @John_E :+1:

1 Like

It’s interesting that @Celticstar brought this up today, because just yesterday I recorded what I feel is a “close to perfect” audio track of my latest cover. I’m now in the process of converting my music studio to my video studio (greenscreen, lighting, tripods, cameras, etc.) and will do the video shoot tomorrow morning.
When I take it all to my post production desk, I can then decide which audio track I like best.

3 Likes

I downloaded Casey’s Resolve primer.
Thank you for all this useful information.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs have you noticed the Resolve Speed Editor panel going on sale before?

2 Likes

Hey @DaveT
I’ve - I have been watching it all year, (was $299 with full Resove activation) forever, now its actually more, $339!!

@PamPurrs - you paid $299 yes?

3 Likes

At the time I bought mine it was $299, but I got mine from a seller on Amazon for a bit less than that and it included a license for the Studio version. I love both the Speed Editor and the Studio version.

@John_E They recently increased the price of the Studio version (which includes the Speed Editor). It’s still a great purchase IMO.

2 Likes

@PamPurrs @John_E thank you both! It looks like maybe BH still has the old price unless this isn’t the same.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1634984-REG/blackmagic_design_dv_resstud_dongle_se_bun_davinci_resolve_17_studio.html

1 Like

It was placed on my list to Santa…hope I’ve been good this year.

3 Likes

You’ve been good in my opinion. However, I’m not buying you shit.

4 Likes