Making a bass cover video

Looks to be the same except its a dongle vs. an activation code, which really isn’t a big deal unless you are out of USB ports.

3 Likes

They have it both ways at the same price.

2 Likes

I personally would not go for the dongle one. I’ve seen a few “not so happy” comments about them on the Divinci Resolve forum and Facebook page. Do your research and I know you’ll make the right choice.

3 Likes

Good tip. I was able to cancel and re-order with the activation card.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs what video card, video memory amount and RAM memory amount did you land on for your editing with Resolve?

My speed editor came last night and I hit my first speed bump. I thought I’d try the built-in video on the motherboard first, but Resolve tells me the drivers aren’t compatible. Working on that, but suspect a video card is in my future.

2 Likes

Video Card: Nvidea GeForce with minimum 4gb Vram (more is better)
Memory: Minimum 32gb Ram (more is better)
Processor: The fastest you can find with dual core
Storage: Large capacity SSD

Hope that helps

Pam

2 Likes

It does help! Do you happen to know which model GeForce?

2 Likes

The one I have on my laptop is the MX250 but I don’t recommend it. I have a desktop on order (hopefully shipping soon) with:

Nvidea GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4gb GDDR6

1 Like
2 Likes

Thank you !!!

2 Likes

Hey @DaveT
This is what I have and works great…

I know zero about video cards btw.

3 Likes

Good enough. If someone is happy, that’s a starting point for me.

2 Likes

My advice would be buy the best, fastest one you can get, because the only thing I don’t like about Resolve is that they update it every other 1/2 hour or so (or a least 1x every 2 weeks it seems) and you just know it will become more and more of a resource hog down the road.

Also, watch your PC power supply size when it comes to video cards, they are power monsters.

2 Likes

That’s hard to gauge. I’ll spend the money necessary to do the job, but I don’t have extra cash sitting around and something else will take the hit for this project. I tend to look for “best value” levels before the price curve starts to hockey stick up. I started looking at the level card you have, but when @PamPurrs is targeting something less expensive it makes me think that level could be acceptable for my purposes. My needs will be about the same: keying, transitions and titles. No layering of complex effects.

I did notice that power supply issue. I need to pop the hood and take a peek at what’s in there.

2 Likes

Keying is one thing that requires lots of resources. In fact, anything you do in the Fusion or Color page takes lots of horsepower. You will benefit from having the Studio version though, as it manages resources 1000x better than the free version.

@John_E I hope Santa brings you the Studio version. You will notice a significant difference in performance.

3 Likes

Me too!

2 Likes

I guess I’ll take the time to get the lighting and white balance right to begin with then!

2 Likes

My last PC lasted 14 years! with loads and loads of upgrades along the way until it was maxed out and couldn’t keep up so when I decided I would most likely be getting into video and audio stuff I decided to just try to get the best Dell thingy I could without going full Alienware and goofy lights etc. I looked at custom build audio/video machines and they came to same specs and price as the Dell essentially and then Dell had a big sale and I bit. So far, so good.

3 Likes

I just ordered my Dell desktop computer during their black friday sale and got a nice deal for what I think is more than adequate for my video editing needs. I ordered it on November 29th, and it just went into production today (thanks to the chip shortage). They still claim I’ll get it before Xmas.

2 Likes

Oh that’s interesting. When I get a new machine I usually read the gaming forums to see what they like and buy all the pieces and parts to assemble my own. I go giant on things I care about like RAM and SSD and then get the fastest processor available before the price goes up 30% to get the next incrementally fastest one. The motherboard is whatever the gamers like as best value and everything else is down the middle. I always leave out their graphics card though because I never had a use for that part until now.

It’s a different world now though! The strategy my have changed.

3 Likes