Making a bass cover video

I’m not a gamer, so I’m a bit ignorant in that department, but I would think a state-of-the-art graphics card would be essential in that world. Am I thinking incorrectly?

2 Likes

Correct, however…
In the video/audio editing world, the processor is as important and how it handles games vs. audio/video is apparently important. I did a lot of reading that suggested for example that ADM processors are not what you want for audio/video production and that Intel is the chip you want, which does not hold true for gaming. At least that is what I think I remember reading.

2 Likes

You are thinking correctly. I’m just not a gamer. I think gamers do good research on the most power for the least amount of money that’s reliable so I read what they like. @John_E comments about resource differences between gaming and editing notwithstanding.

2 Likes

After reading this I decided to try a program called Shotcut which is a free open source video editing program similar to Reaper, only for video, and appears to be very similar to the Resolve editor but less of a resource hog.

As a newbie to Audio/Video recording I do not mind spending the time to learn to use a program but I do not want to waste time learning a bunch of them. I do expect a steep learning curve but don’t imagine it could be any worse than learning to use Reaper. :slightly_smiling_face:

Here,s a link for those wanting to check Shotcut out.

Can you tell me when you and @PamPurrs plan on posting the video and mixing portion of the 'How to Record Yourself ’ thread? I am sure that will help a lot of us out on this journey.

2 Likes

In the new year, holidays have us too busy.

2 Likes

Thank You.

1 Like

@Celticstar I checked out that program you mentioned and found it to be a handy starter program, but lacking in some of the features that I regularly use.
FYI, the free version of Resolve is very demanding of resources indeed, but only because it’s extremely robust. The Studio (paid) version manages resources much better.
As far as the learning curve, every VE I’ve used works pretty much the same way, so once you’ve mastered the basic of video editing, it’s fairly easy to switch to another program. You just have to learn the new bells and whistles.
@John_E and I have decided to table our video tutorial until after the holidays, so I suspect it’ll be some time in January.

2 Likes

Nice to know.

That sounds great and I am sure more than me are waiting for this and you both did a fantastic job on Part I.
Actually, it was that video that made me pull the trigger and get involved in the recording end of this crazy industry.
Thank you. :+1:

3 Likes

@DaveT did you end up getting the speed editor?

2 Likes

I did. I installed the software and got the video drivers updated so it would start. I haven’t tried to edit anything yet.

2 Likes

I would strongly recommend this course that Pam toldl me about.
it aint the cheapest thing but at the end, I know how to use every single button on the thing and used it extensively on my last cover.
Every time I wanted to do something I said “hey, I got a new button for that”.

Also, this guy has a lot of good things using it…

3 Likes

He does a lot of informative videos about making videos. He’s got a great personality too.

2 Likes

Thank you !!! I’m definitely interesting in learning to be genuinely good at video editing.

3 Likes

@DaveT will you be able to attend our live tutorial Sunday? I think it would be a good start.

2 Likes

Perfect! I am there for sure.

2 Likes

I don’t like to go through all the hassle of recording an audio track and a video track separately, then editing them together. I bought this mic, plugs right into your phone. It has a couple settings to get the right sound. Download the app, hit record, play your song and you’re done. Good video good audio. Good enough for me anyway. When I bought mine it was $179.

Screen Shot 2022-01-12 at 2.15.53 PM

3 Likes

I am sooo excited about and looking forward to this Zoom session on Sunday !!!

I’m going to spend Saturday clearing out the space where the set will go.

3 Likes

That’s a nice mic. If a mic ed audio track is good enough for your ears, then stick with it. You can’t beat a direct recording though.

1 Like

Looking forward to seeing you there Dave.

1 Like

Of course. It’s more of a time issue for me. This mic allows me to record and be done with decent audio (better than just iPhone audio). With three kids and full time job and a part time job I just don’t want to bother with editing. I actually enjoy editing and mixing, I just choose to not make time for it.

2 Likes