Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

IF I was forced to pare down to 4 it would be a tough decision:

1. Poison Apple J-I made it and the tone is cool\
  2. Turquoise Waters P- I made it. The sound is ok but the paint is killer
  3. The Root Beer Ibanez Mikro- This is my go to travel bass
  4. Gretsch G2220- It’s the coolest bass I have and I love the tone

I’d hate parting with the likes of the Yamaha BB G4. I don’t play it often but it’s got a great sound.

7 Likes

I didn’t think about this when I decided to sell my Mikro :thinking:

5 Likes

Did you buy it new? If so, have you applied for the Fender $100 back (because the “humbuckers” they claimed were on it are actually single coils)?

5 Likes

The Short Love thread has it right…you’d think that a short scale bass wouldn’t be as good as a full size, but the Mikro packs a punch, more than I expected. It’s small enough to take to work on Saturdays and still sound great. I tune it every time but rarely have to adjust anything.

6 Likes

I didn’t know there was something like that going on. I’ll have to look into it but I’m still happy with it…and yes I bought it new from Musician’s Friend

6 Likes

I started a thread the other day about this in the Gear forum. Do check it out. It’s money from Fender as reparation for false marketing.

Gretsch 2220 - "No Humbuckers" Reparations

Lobster sleuthed it out and got the Big F to ‘fess up and shell out the dough. Kudos to Lobster!

If I still owned a Gretsch Junior Jet (I returned mine to Sweetwater), I’d be making it rain (or at least drizzle) right now.

6 Likes

Oh, I was more thinking travel like, going on a plane travel XD I still have it, tuned EADGC atm. I plan to bring one of my full-sized basses to work.

5 Likes

Watch Lobster’s video above

6 Likes

Oh it’s good for any sort of travel due to its size. I even bought the gig bag for it so it wouldn’t get damaged when I put it in the car. It would be perfect for airline travel

5 Likes

I’ll have to look into it. I’m sure they’ll ask for a receipt. Fortunately I bought it through PayPal via eBay.

6 Likes

If the eBay seller was a store, the receipt you got should work. I think they are only accepting receipts for new instruments bought from stores, not from individuals selling personally owned items.

Watch the Lobster video for details.

5 Likes

Yep. Bought it from Musicians Friend

5 Likes

Cool. If you don’t have the receipt, you might be able to have them email you a copy. Good luck!

5 Likes

Did a quick Google search for Fender brand accessories and turned up a lot of stuff possibly worth considering.

For example, Fender does sell pups. Not that they would be drop-ins for a Gretsch Junior Jet, but they could work on other bass. Just one possibility.

There are also lots of smaller and larger cost Fender brand accessories to consider getting with that sweet $100 reparation credit.

I searched Sweetwater, but you can try your fave big box music store to see what the options are.

3 Likes

I got a new shirt. :grin:

20 Likes

Great shirt.
I would like one with a Stingray instead of a Thunderbird, I wonder if they have anything like that.

3 Likes

Funny to read this thread while I’m thinking about selling my first bass (a cheap Harley Benton one) as I have my second one…

3 Likes

Coming late to the party, here, but I feel you. I tend to over-personify my favorite inanimate objects and I kinda feel bad when I’m not playing one of them. Like… I don’t want it to feel rejected or something.

Yeah, I know. That’s not normal. Hey, you can’t jump into the “Book of Tim” at the end and expect it to make sense. :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’ve found my “magic number” to be two basses. Any more than that and I spend more time worrying about which bass to play, and switching back and forth between them all, than actual playing. With the addition of my Carvin B5 I’m now at three… but it works, because the B5 is a 5 string and my other two are 4 strings. That said, I have moved my Carvin B4 off of the guitar stand and into its case. Out of sight, out of mind, amirite? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It may sound silly owning so many basses, but I still like playing all of them regularly, although right now I’m not because they’re in AC storage all over the house except my 3 primary: The Mikro, the Junior Jet and Poison Apple.

4 Likes

This is how I feel with my guitars. Each one has a story and represents a specific time. But for bass, I really want to stick with “my forever bass” and put a million hours on that one instrument. I don’t know why.

At least that’s what I’m telling myself until I buy a new one.

8 Likes