Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

@enkhiel

I’m pretty sure mine is synthetic too. I don’t think they’ll have given me a authentic hair bow for the price I paid :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Can you link me to your bow so I can check it out?

I’m not even sure what I should pay for a decent bow

4 Likes

@PamPurrs

Well I can’t really, as it came with the double bass.

It does t even have any markings on it so it’s obviously a standard entry level one

All I really know is it’s a French designed bow.

And I’ve been told this is a good brand of resin for the bow too. The one on the left is just the one that came with it.

Sorry, that’s not much use is it :slight_smile:

Saying that though, it’ll be a diminishing returns thing - if your bass is 5/10 say, and your bow is 9/10, you’re not going to hear that 9 because of the bass quality.

Dunno really. I just love playing the damn thing! It’s even made me practice tonight on it instead of the electric!! Thanks! :joy:

5 Likes

However, I will say this. You’ve got to get a “Robin hood” style quiver for the bow -

You can’t beat that :smiley:

6 Likes

not so sure. I have a cheap violin and we tried it with a friend who has a very good quality violin and bow : my cheap violin with the good bow sounded way better than the good violin with my cheap bow. incredible but true. the bow makes a huge difference.

6 Likes

Agreed.

You’ll never reach the 10/10 but a 10/10 bow definitely will make the 3/10 bass sound better compared to the 3/10 bow that came with it.

3 Likes

@terb

Now you’ve said that, it makes more sense. I guess the decent bow can bring out the best of the instrument. Food for thought!

I really, really, really, musnt get to into this double bass chat. Because I know what’s going to happen if I keep experimenting :smiley:

6 Likes

Being that I’ve never played a bowed instrument in my life, I have no clue what you’re talking about. What is 10/10 or 3/10 or whatever? What does all that mean?

4 Likes

@PamPurrs

It’s just the reference to the quality of both things. If your bass is rubbish but your bow is amazing, it will sound different to playing it with an equally rubbish bow.

So if you spent $4,500 on a double bass, then you want to probably invest in a decent bow too to get the most out of it.

I just play with what I’ve got as it’s not my 100% go to Instrument.

But if it was. Boy I’d be broke :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I agree about getting a quality bow, but what does 10/10 and 3/10 mean? I don’t get that. Are those some kind of designations for bow quality?

4 Likes

that’s just a made up scale.
when 0 points is the worst achievable and 10 points the best, a mid range bow/bass/anything would achieve 5 out of 10 points, so 5/10.

@quadfather don’t be to sure with the price of a “non vegan bow”.
you can get dirt cheap bows with horse hair and ash wood, where the frog is some plastic. Said Ray Chen even testet a Violin Set for 69$. That included a violin, 2 set of strings, a bow, bag and resin.

https://youtu.be/1VVnIBeoDSw

5 Likes

@enkhiel

Good info, thanks!

Like I said, I dont really know much about them. And this new information is feeding my GAS! Argh!

4 Likes

No sorry. It was just a arbitrary quality rating. It’s not an official rating or value or whatever. Just quality out of ten.
“How would you rate this bow out of 10?”
“3/10”

It’s meant like that. It’s not official designations or something. The only thing I know that is kind of similiar is that Violins come in different sizes. Normal Size is 4/4 but there also exist 7/8, 3/4 and smaller. Usually meant for children. But that has nothing to do with quality.

4 Likes

I love when I give people GAS :laughing: :smiley_cat: :rofl:

5 Likes

@PamPurrs

We’re all in it together :slight_smile:

5 Likes

There she is… I just brought her home. Just need to set her up now.

9 Likes

Hi Pam,
Didn’t take you long to get the outstanding balance sorted,
Now I’m excited about seeing and hearing some of those smooth tones uprights are renowned for.:+1:
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

@PamPurrs

Could I ask a favour if you get a minute? I’m just curious as to the action of the strings on the electric upright and I’d love to know how the action is set on your new one so I can compare with my acoustic double bass.

Mine’s been setup, but it’s still an absolute monster to play and I’m wondering if my situation is a combo of it being a very entry level one and possibly has had a crap setup.

Just be good to see :slight_smile:

4 Likes

@quadfather the action on an EUB is completely different from that of a DB. I only know this from demoing them in the store. The action on the EUB is fairly easy, much like plucking your electric bass. When I demoed the DB in the store, I had to really hammer on the strings to get anything out of them. The rep in the store said that’s just the way they are.
Does that help?
P.S. I discovered this thread for us upright bass players.

3 Likes

@PamPurrs

Thanks Pam - that’s useful to know. And I guess even more useful if the rep said that’s just how they are. As an orchestral instrument, I guess that’s not that surprising really, it being made for the bow primarily.

Thanks for the thread too - I’ll definitely check that out!

Hm, so what you’re saying is you’ve bought an electric upright with decent action and that sounds like an upright acoustic bass? And it’s half the size and weight? Is that right?

Because my GAS is about to absolutely explode if that’s the case…!!!

4 Likes