Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

If this had the martini glass inlays it would be on its way to my house already.

I made him an offer but he said no. Holding firm at the $1600

4 Likes

Dargies are cool. I would want an H of course. I like that neck on it, and I doubt they will release one with a Roasted Maple neck. I donā€™t think that would look as good.
Then again, they throw roasted maple on everything these days, I am growing tired of it already, but yeah, maybe they will put a roasted neck on the next release.

come to think of it, Charvel released that San Dimas P bass that is a cool metallic green, with a roasted maple neck, and it looks pretty good.
It has chrome hardware and white (antique white / yellowish) pick ups too, so it has a whole different look to is, but maybe this would be OK with roasted maple.

2 Likes

Love the colour but was very disappointed with his review of the preamp from the box. Especially when this was his second San Dimas with the same issue!

1 Like

Wasnā€™t it the pick up noise? or did he dislike the pre-amp also, I canā€™t recall.

1 Like

The first one he got has a totally stuffed preamp which he returned.
The one he was reviewing in that video he played almost entirely in passive mode due to a horrible hum which he attributed to the preamp.
Real nice shame as the colour and look of the bass is awesome

1 Like

Oh, I thought it was cuz of the shielding? He did a 2nd video on fixing the bass, and totally re-shielded it, but I think he did put in another pre-amp too,. Yeah, it is a bummer, at that price, cuz they are not cheap at around $900. Thanks Fender. If it were like a $300 bass, I can see wanting it as an upgrade.

Maybe a bunch will start to show up used because of the issue, or maybe they drop the price considerably, or maybe just fix them?? Who knows.

1 Like

I think that metallic green is actually called chartreuse. For some reason the colors chartreuse and heliotrope are stuck in my memory. . . :woozy_face:

3 Likes

Maybe I shouldnā€™t have posted that oneā€¦ It keeps haunting me :confounded:
Guess Iā€™ll have to try and get rid of a bass anytime soon ( once I pull the trigger) :sweat_smile:

Someone buy it before I do :joy:

5 Likes

Sandberg makes great basses - love my Nighthawk :grin:

5 Likes

I know, have a VM4 already :grin:

4 Likes

I just looked the VM4 up. Itā€™s amazing. I love the combination of the J body, a bridge MM-style humbucker and the large-polepiece reverse P. Iā€™m going to look up films to see what they sound like.

5 Likes

Well, you should be able to find some nice videos. Itā€™s not a J body however. Itā€™s a P body thatā€™s cut to give easier access to the higher frets and the neck is definitely quite wide :wink:

4 Likes

Soundwise, theyā€™re quite modern with bright and punchy mids. The fact they come with stainless steel rounds certainly has a role to play.

4 Likes

Oh you have a Nighthawk? I have a TM4 :heart:

5 Likes

Yeah, well, Sandbergā€™s nomenclature can be a bit confusingā€¦ :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I also have a TM4, just the Nighthawk+ variant. (I think the VMs also have a Nighthawk variety!?!)

So, @MC-Canadastan: if you want a J body, but also an MM humbucker at the bridge position, look for the TM4 instead of the VM4 :wink: (FYI: the humbucker can be switched over to acting like a ā€œnormalā€ J type pickup!)

4 Likes

Thanks for sorting me out!

3 Likes

So Connie tells me today that for my birthday next week that instead of buying me another firearm (sheā€™s bought me 48 of them so far), that she wants to buy me a new bass insteadā€¦.:thinking::thinking:. Hell, Iā€™ve already got 5ā€¦. But I can always use anotherā€¦ā€¦

Weā€™ve been married for 48 years and sheā€™s always bought me a new firearm every year for my birthdayā€¦. ā€œWhy change after 48 years!ā€, I askedā€¦ā€¦

Her reply, ā€œBecause when youā€™re playing with your bassā€™s, you wear earphones so that you can hear what youā€™re doing and no one else canā€¦ When youā€™re playing with your guns you wear earphones so you canā€™t hear what youā€™re doing but everyone else canā€¦. I prefer (and so does Griff) the peace and quiet when youā€™re playing with your bassā€™sā€ā€¦

Keep On Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

11 Likes

Sounds as if youā€™ve got a regular arsenal down there, Lanny @Lanny . . . :grin:

Happy Birthday to you!

Cheers
Joe

6 Likes

Happy birthday! I guess Multiple Firearm Disorder is a thing as well :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Well,ā€¦ā€¦ looks like another one joins the group!! She got me the MIM Fender PJ Special Deluxeā€¦. P body with a J neckā€¦. Feels and plays great! Lovinā€™ that J neck and the full contact bridge. Great tone control from either of the pickups. This oneā€™s gonna get lots of use!

Now, time to put a good set of strings on her and set it up the way I likeā€¦. As soon as I got her home, I installed a set of strap locks so I could hear her through my amps.

Keep On Thumpinā€™!
Lanny

14 Likes