Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

Trudy’s parents are ridiculously wealthy. If they weren’t she’d be living with them. Her dad retired at 50. He said his girls will never have to work a day in their lives if they don’t want to. Trudy did work. She was a mermaid at a Renaissance Faire every summer for years. To this day I have no idea what mermaids has to do with knights and jousting.

7 Likes

@PamPurrs I would agree you are ahead, think of the resell value…one used tuner will be worth less than half the retail value so say $35, now the bass, even if it half the retail price you paid, you are still up $115 over the tuner…or even better, lets just assume the bass value will go up, when a tuner won’t, so clearly you made the wiser financial investment :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

Thank you @Sully. I feel better already.

2 Likes

@Pampurrs scratches her head

Mermaid at a renaissance fair? Really? And I’m getting money management advice from Trudy?

2 Likes

I gave you fair warning…

3 Likes

Well then… *clears throat*

I’m posting this in the disorder thread, because it was kind of an impulse buy. I developed a mild crush on this bass while I was looking for a PJ last month, and actually considered buying both of them together. In the end I came to my senses and only bought the PJ, but couldn’t resist very long… I figured if I want it and I can afford it, then why not buy it. It’s not going to get cheaper anyway. Also I wanted to get it over with and clear my wish list for good. Now I have everything I want (PJ, J, HH), and also I can finally pre-tune one bass each to E standard / Eb standard / D standard, and play 99% of the songs without having to mess with tuning. (Which is why I wanted three basses in the first place.) I’m probably going to get a drop tuner later, but I’m ok without that for now.

So anyway, long story short: here’s my new Lakland Skyline DJ-4, my first jazz bass. :slight_smile: Only played it for a couple of minutes, but it looks, feels and sounds great so far, and everything seems to be working. (Low bar to clear, but you might remember my history with Fenders…)

15 Likes

That’s very nice @akos . Natural wood is my favourite finish and yours is a prime example

4 Likes

Awesome looking bass @akos !

4 Likes

Nice! Looks like you are a full Lakland believer now.
If I didn’t have 2 J’s that I really love already, the DJ-4 would be on the list for sure.

congrats!

5 Likes

Which faire?

4 Likes

http://www.sterlingfestival.com/

4 Likes

Nice looking bass. I really like the natural finish. Now all you need is a Stingray. insert evil laugh

5 Likes

Ah, one of the few of which I have not attended. Always wanted to go, though.

3 Likes

I remember when that was a Shakespeare festival. Been there many times, many friends and memories from there.

5 Likes

Honestly, it’s because each instrument has a different use case. I have quite a few guitars, and four basses. I don’t buy instruments lightly, because I just don’t have the space to store what I don’t have a specific use for. I primarily use my basses for recording, and each one is different. Sometimes the acoustic bass is what the track needs, sometimes it’s the J bass, sometimes it’s the 5 string fretless.

One of the players in my Celtic band has over 50 guitars. He has guitars he never plays and doesn’t have a use for. I don’t.

6 Likes

Very nice choice, I love me a lakeland bridge, they are so unique you can pick out a Lakland ass on a dark, flashing light, live show just by getting a close look at the bridge.

4 Likes

I have a Lakland as well, sounds great…weighs a ton though.

5 Likes

I need to look into Lakland. In an interview, my favorite bassist, David Hood from the Muscle Shoals rhythm section (Aretha Franklin, Bob Seger, et al), was playing a Lakland.
If they are lefty-friendly, I may be in trouble.

4 Likes

I keep hearing this, but I don’t think they are heavier than my Fender Duff PJ was.

The GZ PJ is 4.3 kg, and the DJ-4 is 4.1 kg (both with strap). If anyone has a Fender and a kitchen scale lying around then I’d be curious to hear how much they weigh.

2 Likes

I have a skyline 44-01, they tend to be the heaviest they have. The DJs are definitely lighter in comparison.

4 Likes