Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

I would sell the ultra and keep the Vintera. I heard the ultra P is okay but pickup/electronics wise not as good as the ultra J. Personally I don’t find the ultra line that special and a tad overpriced compared to the newer models on the market (for example the American professional II has the exact same body but is passive which is a bonus imo) but that is just my opinion.

4 Likes

Now down to three…if anyone ever comes across these, please let me know.
Willing to pay a finders fee if you do (hint to Australia and Japan folks, as these are more prevalent there). - there is a ‘walnut’ one on ebay now but it is beat to hell and overpriced.

Pickup config does not matter, however, I do want the red in the straight P variant.

6 Likes

@Paul

Yes this is my thinking too, regarding the p’s.

But forgetting that for a minute, do you think that limited run colour basses will be more valuable over time due to the amount initially produced?

3 Likes

The other way to look at it is you will get more money for the Ultra.
I actually liked the way the Vintera P pickup sounded (before I ripped it out, haha).

3 Likes

Yeah absolutely.

But now I’m faffing over whether to keep it as it has now been discontinued

2 Likes

Bah, no fee necessary, I’ll let you know if I see one :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That is really hard to predict. My gut feeling says no or you have to wait at least 20 years and call me out lol. That it is discontinued doesn’t always means it wil go up in price. It’s just how the product cycle works at Fender. Think the 50, 60, 70’s are also bought for nostalgic reasons and that won’t really be the case with the current series.

For example I bought a 20 year old German Warwick for peanuts. It does goes down in price but not as much as a cheap model ofc.

4 Likes

Unless I loved it or disliked the other one, I would sell the one that would bring the most money.

4 Likes

So yeah, I’m kinda guessing you will get more out of it now…

5 Likes

Yeah good point @Paul regarding the resale value.

Leaning towards selling the ultra tbh

4 Likes

@howard ultimately yes, that’s the plan. I’ll still have a p I really like to noodle so it makes the most sense

3 Likes

Of course, now I have to work out how and where to sell it. I guess the following options

Ebay with a set reserve price
Online retailer and see what margin they take
Private sale in a local online group of something
Reverb?
Talk to people I know

I have no idea :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been advertising in eBay, Reverb , my wife’s Facebook and Gumtree at the same time for maximum exposure.
Best results definitely eBay and FB

3 Likes

I have had the best, fastest outcomes on talkbass.
You have to pay a $30 membership fee, BUT< no selling fees and really stand up buyers, all my transactions have been awesome. Also, the buyer does not pay tax, and your audience is only people wanting bass. Best $30 investment.

5 Likes

That sounds good via talk bass. Cheers. And the fb idea too.

Does talkbass have a UK crowd too as well as Europe and the US? As I can only really do UK based buyers really for logistical reasons

2 Likes

There is an ‘international’ or ‘europe’ section to list in.

4 Likes

Excellent, cheers for the info!

I like the tb option as like you say, you’re unlikely to get time wasters too :+1:

1 Like

I’ve been digging through my photos trying to see what I bought in my first two years of learning to play bass as I was pretty sure that I’d averaged at least one per month.

Turns out I’m correct.

11/11/2019 Cort B4 Plus
26/11/2019 Ibanez SR300
2/12/2019 Yamaha RX500
25/12/2019 Cort Curbow 4
7/01/2019 Ibanez Mikro
11/12/2019 Yamaha TRB5
20/01/2020 Ibanez BTB400QM
28/02/2020 Fbass BN5
4/03/2020 Ibanez Mikro 2nd
1/05/2020 Ibanez SR400FL 2
00/00/2020 Squier Jazz
00/00/2020 Yamaha RX174
18/05/2020 Fender Prodigy
26/06/2020 Peavy Millenium
12/06/2020 Sterling SUB 4
8/08/2020 Ibanez 5 String Mikro
12/08/2020 Sterling SUB 5
24/10/2020 Warwick $$ Corvette
10/12/2020 Ibanez SR605
23/12/2020 Warwick Thumb
2/01/2021 G&L 2500 Tribute
27/01/2021 Squier Precision Standard Series
28/05/2021 Fender 75th Anniversary P bass

That’s 24 in two years.

28/11/2021 OLP five string
Two more have been committed to being purchased…

Five have been sold.
Three more should be sold.
One definitely will be
Three were bought as gifts.

When I ordered my MIM Jazz, the bass manager at the local music shop, who has tested out everything I’ve bought, said that he was sorry that I was going to have to wait a few months.

I suggested that if I was desperate to get it because I had nothing to play, that we’d both know that I was a total liar.

9 Likes

This makes me feel better, but not by much!

3 Likes

That’s. So. Metal.

\m/ ~_~ \m/

6 Likes