Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

The flamed walnut ones always seem to be very messed up for some reason. I have passed on a few so far. It is the last regular flamed top I want/need. Then the special edition Koa one (a unicorn indeed).

7 Likes

^this.

For this very reason, I never got into collecting stuff.
Also, you wouldnā€™t believe how many times I cancelled orders minutes after placing them.
:slight_smile:
One part of me would love to have a collection of guitars. The other part wouldnā€™t feel quite right about that and would sell most of it quite quickly.
Constant internal battle :wink:

6 Likes

Itā€™s all good. Whatever floats oneā€™s boat is high tide enough for that person.

Weā€™re all individuals. The main thing each of us has in common with one another is a penchant for playing bass.

Some of us might choose to own only one. Others might choose to own a whole lot more.

Regardless of who owns what, the reason(s) why is a personal/philosophical/financial choice(s) that is his/hers to make - as that personā€™s bass (or arsenal) is his/her own to play, admire, stack one atop each other, etc.

The important takeaway is: Play. One, or your collection. The only things that count are the groove and hitting the root on the one.

9 Likes

This conversation has me thinkingā€¦ having an internal dialogue about what would stay if I really narrowed it down to absolute function

7 Likes

My goal is:
1 P bass (passive)
1 J bass (passive)
1 double humbucker bass (active)

And maybe a 5 string. At the moment I got 2 Pā€™s and 2 Jā€™s which I canā€™t let go :sweat_smile:

8 Likes

Absolutely!
As I said, people are different and have different needs, and reasons.
Itā€™s been quite an interesting discussion, though.

5 Likes

Iā€™m pretty similar where I am at now:

One passive P/J, bucket list bass (Yamaha SBV-550)
One active/passive double-buck I love (Yamaha TRBX604)
Nice PRS clone guitar with upgrades (Cort M600T)

Iā€™m done. These cover everything I want. Havenā€™t had GAS for a guitar/bass in months. Totally content.

Any changes would be vertical (i.e. TRBX to SR Premium, Cort to PRS, etc.) As for the number - itā€™s perfect, or maybe one too many.

6 Likes

Two Streams, two Charvels, one Schecter Semi Hollow body. Iā€™d probably just have the Streams and the Schecter if DiMarzios came in a soapbar housing.

Think I can cull the rest. Donā€™t try a semi hollow body unless you want to join the club. They are so cool to play

7 Likes

I think I definitely had a goal at one point. Seemingly clear and concise and would cover all my needs and then some. The hunt certainly clouded my judgement and now Iā€™m swimming in the overwhelming unnecessary. I do play a few times a week and it is multiple instruments. Bass, acoustic guitar and electric guitar. So some volume/quantity is required. I think itā€™s also complicated by the fact that I have a number of sentimental pieces which are family instruments, either gifted to me or used to be owned by, family members. They arenā€™t all my go-to items as Iā€™ve acquired nicer or built better. To pare down would be to eliminate some good things and face the romantic fool that drives my GAS. Nothing sentimental in my pedals but itā€™s so hard to part with the bits Iā€™ve acquired because I think Iā€™ve emotionally invested in the hunt for the ones I have in such a way that they dangle from the same overused heart string the instruments all are attached to. Sorry. May have overanalyzed that.

5 Likes

Right on. I May stink at it, but ima sure turn it up and make something rattle!

4 Likes

Yep, me too. I started selling 18 months ago and am very happy with the cleaner space and focused attention on the things I like the best. I completely understand and also love collecting, just not for my current phase. What I wanted most this year was to upgrade the keybed action feel. Pedals had to go, even ones I thought fit into some grand scheme of ultimate flexibility and capability. I think what I like most about this phase is that everything I have I deeply appreciate.

7 Likes

Yeah! Thatā€™s a great feeling.

6 Likes

I must admit to a small amount of envy here. Maybe it is time to open up the gates and let a bunch go. Of course unleashing all that in this community probably wouldnā€™t help anybody elseā€™s gas. Lol

7 Likes

Do what moves you. There is no right answer in the pursuit of bass playing. Not in the choice of bass(es), number of strings, brands, models, passive vs. active, owning more than one, nor anything else related to this pursuit. Each is subjective to everyone.

6 Likes

Here is one guyā€™s saxophone mouthpieces he decided to sell.
140 in all.
Yes he still has more.

Sax mouthpieces can range from $50 to $1500 and up.

Go count your pedals and basses.
You are probably ok.

10 Likes

Hee, hee, heeā€¦I remember those. The reed holders where money goes to die.

7 Likes

I am very pragmatic when it comes to mouthpieces.
2 bari, 2 tenor, 2 alto, 2 soprano, 1 C melody, 1 C soprano. I donā€™t want a single additional. The 2x of each are very different tones each. Modern/vintage.

That said, I could buy another bass with all the reeds in the ā€œthese suckā€ drawer.

6 Likes

I feel you there.

I never went down the mouthpiece rabbit hole, though. I had two mouthpieces per alto and tenor: one classical; one jazz.

The badass jazzbos around me owned a small handful per man, but the mouthpieces I had served me OK in the symphonic and jazz ensembles I played in.

7 Likes

If you ever run for Mayor Iā€™d vote for you in a heart beat.

My problem, aside for financial gain is when I pick up a Fender P bass I feel awesome. Itā€™s rich with history and purpose said to myself Iā€™d buried with one for the afterlife. Then I pick up a Jazz bass and the fast effortless neck gives me such joy to play.

Mind you, I then, pickup the Man Stingray and suddenly overcome with joy of playing such an exciting instrument. Not to mention levels of expert craftsmanship. Said to myself, these are Leo Fenderā€™s finest creations, wait what? G&L what the heck is G&L? Oh! Man! What a design! Unique playability and feel of the instrument great all of Leoā€™s creations. Leo is a genius no one can do what he did in my lifetime. What? Others can do it too? Gotta check them out lifeā€™s too short right? Lol.

What about 5 strings, 6 strings, longer scale, short scale those are trending, colors man they make them with great looking colors.

Oh wait they make aftermarket components and pickups for these too, which one? They all claimed to be the best version and upgrades. Rule number one, believe everything they advertised. Rule number two why buy one when you can have two twice the price, man! gas, gas, gas.

You better believe Iā€™ll be hitting one of you up to help me sort things out in the event that Iā€™m ill as my wife would sell everything out at a yard sales price, lol.

7 Likes

We got you brother @Al1885 !! I promise at least a couple of them will go to a good home other than my ownā€¦ okay maybe one of them. Maybe.

7 Likes