Multiple Bass Disorder (MBD)

I have a bung where most people don’t, so no GAS from me. I tend to limit my basses to those that I need, so it’s one in one out. In theory.

2 Likes

I have two Bass at the moment.

That’s all I need, but I could foresee adding a few more (2 - 3 maybe) to the stable purely because I’d like to have them. I’d have to cull my 6 strings for that to happen so the Les Paul may be classified bound to free me up to look for a used Warwick Thumb.

Edited to add, I too try to limit the number of instruments in the house and would rather have a small number of high quality instruments than a vast collection.

Currently in the house we have
2 x Bass
2 x Guitar
2 x 3/4 guitar

My daughter has expressed a desire to learn bass and has outgrown the 3/4 instruments so it looks like we may be selling three to make room for 2 more Bass. :smiling_imp:

3 Likes

SWMBO also tried doing this with her clothes. She now has a closet full of clothing… and yet nothing to wear.

2 Likes

Lucky clothes aren’t basses, eh.

2 Likes

I really don’t mean to divert the thread here, but how hard is it to convert a 4-string to BEAD? I’m thinking about doing that on my Carvin. So… I guess that you use the lowest 4 strings from a 5-string set? Or are there specific strings made for BEAD? Does the nut need to be changed or anything?

2 Likes

@JustTim check out this thread:

2 Likes

You got it, the nut is the biggest thing. May need some filing, and you may need to change the nut if you go back to EADG. And the neck will be under less tension so it may need a truss rod tweak, but that’s it.

Simple mod

3 Likes

To each our own @HowLowCanYouGet - bro…:grinning::grinning:. All I know is that when Many of the songs that I play on stage change keys and tunings throughout the song set, there’s no time to make any changes to just one bass…. Not only that, we may move from one song to another where flat strings (or rounds) makes the song sound better….

I do believe that ONE bass works well for many, but for me (since I use NO peddles), having at least 3 bass’s at my immediate grab is what works for me…

Just my opinion…. None of the bass’s I use are “favorites”. They’re all great instruments - just set up differently for the different songs that I play…

Keep On Thumpin’!
Lanny

3 Likes

I’ve more or less settled on two.

3 Likes

Gotta leave the door propped open just a bit…in case :wink:

5 Likes

I figured someone would catch the nuance, yeah :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Don’t make me laugh. You wouldn’t have posted it, if it wasn’t always on your mind :wink:

2 Likes

@pampurrs stands and addresses the attendees in the room:

" Hello, my name is Pam. Today is exactly 4 months since I purchased my last bass. Do I get a chip?"

11 Likes

“Well, you would have, but the folks in the keyboard group told us what you did”.

10 Likes

I thought this was supposed to be “anonymous”. WTF

5 Likes

See what all this internet posting gets you?

4 Likes

No, you only die once… You can live lots; which is why I have too many guitars and basses :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I died once. Flatlined during a medical procedure. White lights, out of body experience, whole 9 yards. Hit me with the paddles (boy those hurt) and brought me back.

I don’t recommend the experience.

6 Likes

After an extensive motorcycle “career “ I have attempted to dispel this theory more than once :crazy_face::joy:

4 Likes

I died once. Flatlined during a medical procedure. White lights, out of body experience, whole 9 yards. Hit me with the paddles (boy those hurt) and brought me back.

I know this is derailing the thread, but I’d like to hear more about the out of body white light experience.

3 Likes