Music notation help

I’m having trouble tracking down a notation symbol used in the 50 songs online pack. It’s a little swoosh next to a note, unconnected to another note. Pic attached is from Crossfire. And there are a couple in Chorus 2 of The Chain. There are probably more floating around, so I should pin it down now. Thanks! Capture

7 Likes

That indicates a small slide down from each of those notes. Not to any specific destination note, just a small slide for some flair.

9 Likes

Perfect, thank you. And conversely, one before the note would be a small slide up. This helps a lot, because my amateur ear couldn’t pick it up in the originals. (I bet it can now.) I’m really happy I can ask this kind of question on this forum and get a timely and respectful answer.

3 Likes

Glad to help!

1 Like

That symbol is called a “fall” and (like with the scoop discussed earlier this week here:Sliding across strings)

On bass, it’s another way to add sauce/grease/style/flair.

It’s a non-definite slide off a note so that you get the sound of movement, but nothing dramatic or specific. No actual destination, just the vibe and sound of sliding down, away, out of the note.

5 Likes

Excellent. And thanks for the informative link. I’m digging learning these new terms too. “Grease” is so perfect for this technique.

1 Like

So, it’s a scoop if it’s going into the note and a fall if coming out of the note?

1 Like

I think that’s it.
I’m willing to plant my flag in this hill.

2 Likes

Thanks @Gio! Just wanted to make sure I was using the terms correctly.

1 Like

So, apparently the four possible cases are like this:

• going into a note (from below) - scoop
  • coming out of a note going up - droit
  • going into a note (from above) - plop
  • coming out of a note going down - fall

Anyway, that is what MuseScore calls those “actions” :smile:

4 Likes

plop :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

i need to use more plops

3 Likes