My B2B went off course

Anyone else go off course once Josh taught them to follow tabs? I’ve enjoyed playing my fav songs so much that I haven’t completed my B2B course :crazy_face:
Time to go back to school with Josh!

14 Likes

As long as you are having fun everything is ok. Josh will definitely understand that once you have your ability to play, you will want play it over and over again. Just focus on the aspect that everything you do should have some kind of reasoning stemming from fundamentaks.

9 Likes

Indeed but isn’t that the point?

Have fun and play and play and when you decide you want to do things you can’t do, go learn some more.

It’s all good as long as you are happy.

7 Likes

Totally agree. Playing bass has made happier than I have been in a very long time.

10 Likes

Amen sister.
Sax and bass bring me endless joy in every way, even on a sucky playing day. Any escape that creates art at the same time to me is the ultimate relaxer, destresser, joyful making machine of good.

8 Likes

No worries at all…i’ve just spent nearly 3 months on modules 14 and 15 as well as trying to learn some songs… as ling as you’re enjoying it.

8 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. Took me a year to do the course and been a month since my last Talking Bass lesson.

6 Likes

I’m about 20% in to a TalkingBass course and haven’t been back for months. No big deal, it’s there when I want it again.

The important thing is to play on your own, for fun.

11 Likes

@howard Which one did you get? Chord tones?

4 Likes

Yep! It’s good. Pretty basic so far but a couple good insights.

5 Likes

I am one of the rare examples of people who did not do that. Even if Josh recommended to go play a song for a bit I rarely did so and quickly returned to the course. But I think there’s a reason Josh sometimes tells you to play the full song (if the rest of the song is managable as a B2B student at the current level of the course).
Just the snippets in the workouts are barely enough to get you to play a full song. There’s a lot to do for a full song. Knowing when to come in, knowing when to transition to a different part and getting that transition smoothly and remembering the form correctly and counting for yourself while playing. Those all sound like small things but if you have to do them suddenly all at once while not having practiced either of them it’ll become a challenge.

These were all problems for me when I started to play in a band, so if you’re not forcing yourself to do so I think you will help, not hinder, your progress. If you are starting to get bored by the songs you currently can play or are just eager to know what’s next - I think that would be the ideal time to return to the course.

12 Likes

Thank you for this advice. My husband plays guitar and we have played together a few times. I’ve noticed how challenging it can be to play with him rather than next to him. :laughing:

6 Likes

No, I was committed to finishing the course. Plenty of time after finishing to cover songs.

5 Likes

I have to totally agree. Happiness, accomplishment & relaxation are all rewards of playing bass. For me even the rest of the family gets enjoyment out of me playing. Which makes one wonder, why we didn’t start playing bass sooner?

8 Likes

Haha I know right. I feel I missed out on years of joy by not starting sooner.

5 Likes

So I starred playing bass in September 2020, allmost ezactly a year ago. My progress at learning this amazing instrument in that time is remarkable. However the one peice of advice I would give is finish the course, the last few modules unlock so much it would be a disservice tp yourself to not finish. I did learn a few somgs from internet tabs, and now realize I learned almost every single one of those songs wromg.

The key is having fun though, if playing songs you love keeps you playing the bass then by all means keep doing it, but also be mindful about finishing the course. I mean afterall you did pay for it.

Josh was by far the best instructor I have had online or not.

9 Likes

+1
Welcome to the forum.
Sounds like you have found the right road to follow.

Enjoy the journey :+1:

5 Likes

I have been playing in a rock band for several years since I took the B2B course. I create many of my own bass riffs now, but still return to the course for refresher.

7 Likes

That’s good to know :grinning:

4 Likes

Wow, I was typing so fast on my phone this morning I didn’t even realize I failed to spell one word correctly, at least bass doesn’t involve spelling tests…

Sorry !!

4 Likes