My day at work

There’s a few things that as an American I just can’t do when it comes to cuisine from the UK, and they basically boil down to haggis and pudding (black or white). I love getting a full breakfast as much as the next person (and really, anyone that hasn’t tried one is missing out in a big way), but I would gladly give up the pudding any time for some extra bubble&squeak. Or anything else for that matter.

It’s weird too as I love sausage and can it it more or less all day, and it’s not like they are that different conceptually.

3 Likes

A white pudding is practically healthy, deep fried oatmeal. Get a Scottish full breakfast instead. The black or white pudding is replaced with a slice of clootie dumpling. It is a steamed fruit pudding which is stared at suspiciously as it sounds healthy so they throw iit into a shallow frying pan with the sausages and bacon to absorb everything and overpower any accidental nutritional value that may have existed

6 Likes

Nice. I appreciate a good farm brekkie myself. Couple eggs sorta scrambled between 2 pieces of buttered wheat toast with a generous amount of hot sauce. Wrap it in a paper and eat it on the fly. Cows Need feed, everything is broken, heater quit in the truck and the sun isn’t coming for While. Good times.

4 Likes

I do love a good fry up. Irish might be my favorite.

2 Likes

Nice. I had a friend that went through basic training a few months after I did, and I still remember the advice I gave him: “Look, you only get a couple minutes to eat breakfast and you really need the calories. So remember: nearly all breakfast foods will make a delicious sandwich.” Pile it on the bread and wolf it down. Good times :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Sounds like a line from a country and western song. Only things missing are your wife leaving you and the dog dying :joy: :joy: :joy:

4 Likes

Been there done that several times.
I have been in enough food plants to know what to eat and what not to eat on an endless array of foods.

Pro tip - don’t eat Velveeta - ever.

3 Likes

You ain’t kidding.

2 Likes

There’s a reason all that stuff is always in those songs. :laughing:

3 Likes

Yet another innocent thread totally derailed by food :grinning:

5 Likes

Not intended. I did start the food mishap, tho.

3 Likes

Cheese for the win.

Unless you prefer tofu.

4 Likes

Don’t forget, Scotland is the land of the battered (deep fried) Mars bar. Most Scottish food is based on a plan on how to get a heart attack quicker

6 Likes

Also the deep fried pizza, deep fried cheeseburger, deep fried cream egg, in fact if it fits in a fryer we we will give it a try :grinning:

6 Likes

This is all very American sounding. I mean, we invented the deep fried turkey.

5 Likes

Americans may have invented deep fried turkey but that was only because the Scots didn’t have access to them. The Scots were the first to deep fry chicken.

5 Likes

My day at work today is 2 of 7. I’ll get a day off next Saturday. So it’s 84 hrs. In 7 days. This pesky being employed thing is really starting to cut into my playing time.

2 Likes

I used to do those kind of hours until I had a massive stroke. I still consider to this day that the only reason I’m active today is because I was in the hospital already when it happened. At least, that’s my consultant’s theory.

5 Likes

No bueno there. But I’m glad you recovered. Being a stroke survivor myself (intra-cranial hemorrhage style) i know exactly how difficult that can be.

3 Likes