My family room is shrinking

The “family” portion of our family room is shrinking, while music room portion keeps spreading. Fortunately, I have a very supportive and tolerant spouse.

12 Likes

Looks like a Dean Vandetta?? Are you also playing guitar @PamPurrs??

2 Likes

Indeed it is.
It was gifted to me by a friend who has been “trying” to learn guitar for over a year, and keeps buying new guitars in the hopes that she’ll find one that practically plays itself. She refuses to take lessons; instead relying on that game, Rocksmith. I’ve told her that I learned to play bass in less than 6 months by actually taking online lessons, and I think this gift is sort of an unspoken challenge to see if I can learn to play it.
I’ve noodled around with it a little bit, but haven’t seriously tried to learn to play it: but I will eventually.

5 Likes

Well you can already play the top four strings so if all else fails just tune the last two to C and F and use it like a tiny bass with extra strings :slight_smile:

4 Likes

That’s an interesting thought. Is that really feasible though? I mean, wouldn’t that screw up all the chords when I learn to play them?

4 Likes

Oh yeah. Or rather, all the chords would have different and harder fingerings. There’s a reason for that third interval jump.

4 Likes

@PamPurrs - If you can learn the bass, you can most certainly learn to play the guitar… I’d say learn the “A” Minor Pentatonic Scale up and down the fretboard… With that, you’ll be able to play along with “most” Country and Classic Rock songs… At least that’s been “one” of my “cheats” when I’d be asked to sit in on a song… Just find the root and play the notes in that “A” Minor pentatonic scale that fit in. Most times you’ll not play the third note of the scale, and I’ve been known to throw in a ‘bend’ on the sixth at times to liven things up. Kinda makes you look as if you actually know what’s going on…

6 Likes

That guitar looks like it means business! Metal?

4 Likes

When things get back to normal (if there even is such a thing anymore), I’m going to take it to my local luthier and have it setup just right, then I will start noodling around with it.

3 Likes

… ah.

I am fortunate enough to have a study/music room, where I can keep and operate all my stuff. It’s a renovated loft, not huge (375 sq. ft), but it’s like a TARDIS. It magically holds a LOT of stuff:

• two desks with chairs
  • a sizable media rack holding my audio, a small TV
  • two large floorstanding speakers
  • two chairs
  • a small table
  • two basses and a guitar hanging off the wall
  • a 49-key MIDI keyboard
  • a practice amp
  • a guest bed
  • a small book case

without looking overly crowded.
Which is then undone into utter chaos because my photog equipment is all over the place. :wink:

I’ll try to make some decent photos one of these days.

2 Likes

That’s almost as roomy as my entire apartment, @peterhuppertz . . . :laughing:

Space always seems to be at a premium :slight_smile:

Cheers, Joe

3 Likes

For a fleetingly brief moment I thought, @Jazzbass19 must live in downtown Tokyo, then.

I would’ve sworn everyone in the USA would’ve said “that’s the size of my broom closet”.

3 Likes

LOL, we don’t all live in mansions in the USA. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Plus not every place in Tokyo is tiny :slight_smile:

(mine’s about 80m^2 - about 860 square feet)

5 Likes

@Jazzbass19 and you have a Rumble 100? Your neighbors must love you :rofl: :rofl:

4 Likes

I wait until everyone goes off to work so I can practice, Pam @PamPurrs . . . :grin:

But since lots of folks have been stuck inside these past few weeks, I haven’t been practicing as much. In all seriousness though, my building is super-well insulated, and I keep the volume down. So far, so good :+1:

Cheers, Joe

5 Likes

I’m in downtown Norfolk, Virginia . . . :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Doesn’t that thing have a headphones connection? I’m quite happy with mine…

3 Likes

Yes, I saw that.

3 Likes

Good point, @peterhuppertz . . . :+1:

I have tried using headphones, but I just don’t like it . . . I keep the master volume at 9 o’clock and that’s plenty for me!

Cheers, Joe

4 Likes