My First Pedalboard!

I’m guessing this branding separation is intentional. Darkglass is a more narrow niche than everyone they could market to for multi-fx. The Darkglass fans will figure it out anyway.

1 Like

Yeah could be. He’s clearly doing well with both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good on him! I really admire the work they’ve done in a lot of ways.

1 Like

I remember an interview with Doug that he said something similar. Not sure which one it was but they talked about it briefly.

2 Likes

Such a cool company. They are basically the best at what they do with Darkglass - I can’t think of many pedal companies of their scale in the same tier for esteem. Maybe Strymon? Even EBS isn’t held in as high regard as Darkglass.

And they are on a really good path towards that with NeuralDSP.

I love even the marketing around the Quad Cortex. “A vulgar display of power.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BTW I played with parallax a bit today (looking at various things). It’s really really cool. I basically already have its core feature covered (the multiband effect chains) but if I didn’t I would definitely buy it. Super easy to dial in some killer bass distortion - very Darkglass sounding yet still unlike their other pedals.

One weird thing with it is it doesn’t seem to have a way to turn off its cabsim without disabling its amp sim too, so you get this weird state where you lose a lot of the tone when you just want to kill the cab sim (due to running another cab sim later after some other things.)

Just for fun I threw together a very Darkglass-like distortion in Multipass using the same basic way Parallax does it. I think it turned out pretty well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you double click the tab icon at the top you can turn the cabsim off (bit of a hidden feature tbf). It works the same for any NeuralDSP plugin.

That tone sounds absolute killer Howard!

2 Likes

For me there is also an on/off switch for the left and right speaker. So you might be on about something else? Maybe I don’t hear the tonal lose as good as you tho. :sweat_smile:

To me Parallax seems to be a bit of legacy software from Neural. They had a few big updates for Nolly and DG plugin but I never seen a similar one for parrallax (it is still version 1.0 for me).

1 Like

Thanks! Multipass is pretty sweet, I was surprised how easy that was to do.

yeah so what I was getting at is, in Parallax you can easily turn the cab sim on and off, etc - but it also kills the additional amp tone they do in addition to the distortion. So by turning off the cab sim, not only do you lose the rounding of the cabs, you also have significant tone impact. Or at least it did for me.

That I didn’t do yet is see if there is a “DI” option on the speakers as this should bypass the speaker part but leave the rest. Maybe that’s what the speaker on/off do? I’ll check when I fire it up again.

1 Like

We’ve just had a tidy up in the studio and I spotted a rack lid whilst cleaning up.

Turns out it’s a great size for my very own first pedalboard, yay!

9 Likes

Perfect.

2 Likes

:rofl:

3 Likes

Damn, I gotta get about 85 or so more then, I must be depriving the shit out of my daughters :thinking:

2 Likes

So, a question for all pedal experts here:

are pedals that are (primarily or almost exclusively) marketed for guitar also useful for bass guitars? I could imagine there are pedals where it doesn’t matter, while others might have to be adapted to work with the different frequency ranges!? How would one know?

For example, these were just announced (for guitar, I guess) and look like really cool high-end pedals - could they be used for bass as well?

When the blurb says “suitable for guitars and synthesizers” is “guitars” meant to include bass guitars?

1 Like

it depends. some “guitar” pedals works well with basses, other have frequencies issues like for exemple a buffer with a low-cut filter set too high for a bass. sometimes it works, sometimes not so much.

I use a few “guitar” pedals (or at least not labeled or marketed as “bass” pedals) with basses : my beloved DOD FX84, graphic EQs, some overdrives. modulation effects (reverb for example) should mostly work too but I don’t like them with a bass so I didn’t try.

it’s somewhat a matter of the type of effect, and somewhat a matter of luck.

3 Likes

Haha, OK, so better to wait until someone else has tried it before potentially wasting 3-400 dollars :wink:

3 Likes

Yeah. For some things, like compressors, it generally doesn’t matter (but sometimes can, especially with cheap stuff).

For some things, especially modulations and distortions, it will quite often matter.

And if it has a preamp/EQ on it, it will definitely matter, because Bass/Mid/Treble will have different cutoff frequencies for guitar vs bass.

3 Likes

and also in the case of a preamp, the gain structure will probably be very different.

3 Likes

one thing to look for is a blend knob can make a pedal much more suitable for bass if it’s not made for it.

1 Like

BTW what is that pedal that allows you to dial in more bass if you’re using a guitar pedal that’s stealing it?

1 Like