My First Pedalboard!

The AO is tied for my favorite distortion pedal I have ever heard (with the Microtubes X and VMT). Absolutely top notch, well done.

Next I recommend some kind of modulation - Phaser or Chorus - to go after the AO. Distortion into modulation, like Peanut Butter and Chocolate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

HA! That sounds cool @howard, I’m guessing by the name that was the phaser. I have a Boss Bass Chorus pedal from forever ago… so now you mention it, I’ll have to try some combo’s

3 Likes

Yeah, that was a B7k Ultra plugin going in to a phaser :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Very nice. I’m just starting to play with plugins now that Reason 11 forced me too. My “go to” DAW’s have always been Ableton Live and Reason. I love the workflow of Ableton and but prefer the samples and instruments (especially percussion) in Reason. I updated to Reason 11 suite only to find I had to upgrade Live 9 to Live 10/11 suite… as ReWire no longer is an option (you have to use Reason as a plugin for Live now). Anyway, I’m sure for many people this was “gobbledegook” language. In short, this has been quite an expensive exercise but has forced me to start looking at plugins…(more expense…hehehe) I can only imagine what will happen to me if my wife reads this!!

3 Likes

That reminds me, I got Reason Lite Rack for free in the Black Friday sales.

I think they are starting to make some of their stuff available as individual plugins though. At least Europa is available as a VSTi now I think?

Not sure about Redrum and the other drums. I have a few other drum plugins I use I can recommend if you like.

3 Likes

love the pog

3 Likes

Yeah @howard Redrum is ok but my weapon of choice is Kong or Dr Rex. Also, the drum samples you get with Reason suite are far better than you get in the lite version.

1 Like

Cool!

I’m using SSD5, Drumazon, and Boom - mostly I got Reason Lite Rack as a freebie and haven’t tried it at all yet.

1 Like

They’ve gone full circle! Now you can load your Neural DSP plugins into a pedal.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/QuadCortex--neural-dsp-quad-cortex-quad-core-digital-effects-modeler-profiler-floorboard

2 Likes

Yeah! Saw that! It looks awesome.

NeuralDSP’s plugins are what you would expect from Darkglass so far. Super good.

1 Like

That’s good to hear. If they got the rest of the effects right, this could actually give Line6 some competition.

1 Like

Yeah for sure. Kind of wondering if Neural gets folded in to Darkglass at some point and this just becomes their gig.

I’m guessing this branding separation is intentional. Darkglass is a more narrow niche than everyone they could market to for multi-fx. The Darkglass fans will figure it out anyway.

1 Like

Yeah could be. He’s clearly doing well with both :slight_smile:

1 Like

Good on him! I really admire the work they’ve done in a lot of ways.

1 Like

I remember an interview with Doug that he said something similar. Not sure which one it was but they talked about it briefly.

2 Likes

Such a cool company. They are basically the best at what they do with Darkglass - I can’t think of many pedal companies of their scale in the same tier for esteem. Maybe Strymon? Even EBS isn’t held in as high regard as Darkglass.

And they are on a really good path towards that with NeuralDSP.

I love even the marketing around the Quad Cortex. “A vulgar display of power.” :slight_smile:

2 Likes

BTW I played with parallax a bit today (looking at various things). It’s really really cool. I basically already have its core feature covered (the multiband effect chains) but if I didn’t I would definitely buy it. Super easy to dial in some killer bass distortion - very Darkglass sounding yet still unlike their other pedals.

One weird thing with it is it doesn’t seem to have a way to turn off its cabsim without disabling its amp sim too, so you get this weird state where you lose a lot of the tone when you just want to kill the cab sim (due to running another cab sim later after some other things.)

Just for fun I threw together a very Darkglass-like distortion in Multipass using the same basic way Parallax does it. I think it turned out pretty well :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If you double click the tab icon at the top you can turn the cabsim off (bit of a hidden feature tbf). It works the same for any NeuralDSP plugin.

That tone sounds absolute killer Howard!

2 Likes

For me there is also an on/off switch for the left and right speaker. So you might be on about something else? Maybe I don’t hear the tonal lose as good as you tho. :sweat_smile:

To me Parallax seems to be a bit of legacy software from Neural. They had a few big updates for Nolly and DG plugin but I never seen a similar one for parrallax (it is still version 1.0 for me).

1 Like