My First Pedalboard!

Where do get effects plugins? I’d like to try them in my Reaper.

1 Like

Tons of places. The vast majority (probably 90% or more) of music software is implemented as DAW plugins.

A couple good places with stores are pluginboutique.com and kvraudio.com.

At the moment I am really liking Kilohearts Snap-Ins. I got these when I subscribed to Phase Plant (the synthesizer plugin I use) but I use them on almost every track in my DAW now. They have a few free ones.

Sometimes you just need to find them though.

2 Likes

So…
Using effects in the DAW as opposed to actual pedals limits you to ALWAYS having to play through the DAW?
Am I correct in this assumption?

1 Like

Yes.

2 Likes

Thanks

1 Like

Just after I typed this I found:

https://neuraldsp.com/products/darkglass-ultra-plugin

official, even. Kind of expensive though.

But apparently super good:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/darkglass-plugins.1338880/

2 Likes

Ooh it’s good:

nice purple Bongo there too

3 Likes

ooohhh

3 Likes

Just bought it. Well, that helped make a decision for me :slight_smile:

It’s also going to be cool running synths and other instruments through this.

3 Likes

does sound a lot like my VMT

2 Likes

Apparently they are both spot on. The plugin is a third of a GB so I imagine there’s a lot of stuff done with combinatorial IR.

2 Likes

Well this escalated quickly…

The vast majority of those came with other things I bought or in bundles. 37 of them came with my synthesizer and 38 came as a free bundle for buying another plugin.

Welp now I am in a funny position. I actually like a lot of these better than my pedals. I even found a sweet multiband chorus that I like better than my bass clone. So at this point, the pedalboard becomes a liability because it’s best for me to record clean and apply the effects in the DAW.

The Darkglass plugin is awesome for bass, incidentally :slight_smile:

4 Likes

It turns out Hooky uses a Helix now :slight_smile:

1 Like

That plugin is indeed awesome Howard! It’s actually how I got into Darkglass in the first place. :slight_smile: I also got the Nolly plugin which is quite amazing for guitar. If you like the DG plugin I can recommend Parallax from neural too. I even think you can get even more out of Parallax than any other bass plugin I have tried so far: https://neuraldsp.com/products/parallax

2 Likes

lol Hooky plays the bass below his hips and tilted backwards. Really nice riffs to listen to :heart:

1 Like

The man’s my hero, both style and sound :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ooh that does sound really good. I have another plugin kind of like that now that is awesome but I am not using it much yet. Check it out:

Really impressed with Neural’s stuff so far.

2 Likes

Oh that looks cool! It has so many options… It’s making me nervous and I’m not even using it :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

All the Kilohearts stuff has been quality so far, really loving both Phase Plant and all the snapins.

2 Likes

Not a pedalboard yet but off to a good start.

…They finally arrived and I am not disappointed. The Alpha Omicron is a fantastic distortion pedal that can go from “just a hint” to “Oh no… Satan is coming”. The POG is the coolest thing I’ve plugged into my amp in a very long time. I find that playing around with the POG especially has awoken my creativity and combining the POG with the Alpha Omicron is amazing. Although quite expensive, I highly recommend both of these pedals.

5 Likes