My First Pedalboard!

I think my sarcasm-meter is broken… this one went totally over my head… sorry, @itsratso but not getting it :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

he’s talking about a pot to blend the dry signal (coming from the bass, not modified) and the wet signal (modified by the effect). this blend pot is very often there on bass overdrives because it allows to blend a part of the clean low-end with the saturated high frequencies : it sounds saturated but not muddy.

the same idea works with other pedals because the blend pot often allow to add low-end, which is what is often lacking when using a guitar pedal.

but even this blend pot doesn’t always work, depending on the low-cut frequencies of the different buffer and gain stages of the circuitry.

6 Likes

yep that’s what I was thinking of.

2 Likes

Ah, thanks for elaborating, @terb! Now, I understand better :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, @itsratso!

3 Likes

I’m guessing that most overdrive, distortion, reverb and delay pedals can be used for both bass and guitar. Or at least from guitar > bass while I think bass > guitar often doesn’t work that well. For example the TC delay and reverb are good for most instruments. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You could say that every “family” has pedals that are both good for bass and guitar. Personally I would stick to the ones that are specifically created for an instrument.

5 Likes

Yes, that is probably the “safest” approach, unless you are interested in deliberately creating some new sounds by using the “wrong” pedal :smile:

3 Likes

if anyone is looking for me, I am in the yellow zone.

8 Likes

may have missed this above, but does anyone have experience running guitar through bass pedals? i’ve read that the Bass Clone and Bass Big Muff from EHX also sound great with guitars.

2 Likes

I have heard that the Keeley Bassist Limiting amplifier (compressor) and the Keeley CP1 or whatever the model is, is actually the exact same thing, because guitarists were liking the Bassist compressor for their rigs better then his other compressors, so he just put a different name and graphic to it. So yeah, I have heard, but no, sorry, no experience.

I think that a guitarist may have the same fears about bass gear, but the other way around, like their lead high lines are gonna get clipped at the top :thinking:
IDK, just a thought.
Maybe we should ask that long haired beard man on youtube what guitarists say know about pedal trains. LOL!!! I bet he would come up with some good ones.

1 Like

I’m bouncing between yellow and purple :slight_smile:

4 Likes

They do, I have used both with guitar.

1 Like

You can have lots of fun using gear in ways it wasn’t intended!

However the concern above is stealing the low end from your bass, which you want to be careful with and mitigate if you do.

This is not necessarily bad (for example, so far in my experience when mixing/mastering it’s common that one of the first things you want to do is high-pass filter/EQ away everything below about 30-40Hz anyway, as a lot of muddy garbage from all the instruments accumulates down there.) But losing stuff below 40Hz is a lot different than losing your tone below (say) 75Hz :slight_smile:

3 Likes

a lot of people get very concerned when they think a pedal is killing their low end, but that to me doesn’t necessarily mean it sounds bad. chorus is a good example of an effect that I really don’t care about low end with.

2 Likes

Interestingly chorus is an example of an effect where I do care about the low end. The Bass Clone sounds a lot better to me with the crossover on to not kill the low end.

2 Likes

see? choices :ok_hand::grin:

2 Likes

Purple is my favorite area, and I try to tiptoe around the yellow altogether (so far) :wink:

3 Likes

Yellow + Purple = :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m in the blue zone now. Only using a compressor :laughing:

2 Likes

By the way this is one of the first graphics of properly ordering pedals that I completely agree with, the order is perfect.

1 Like