My First Pedalboard!

@PamPurrs Pam :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Hey @T_dub,
It is also what a large group of Kangaroos is described as.
They Would be called a mob of Roos.
Cheers Brian

5 Likes

Who… who makes these up? I always wanted to know where it stems from.
murder of crows
herd of sheep
pack of wolves
harem of seals (yeah)
bed of sloths

It’s getting more and more ridiculous:
wisdom of wombats
labor of mole
conspiracy of lemurs
stubborness/crash of rhinoceros
embarassment of pandas

What? Who makes these up! I want to join the fun!

6 Likes

This is my favorite.

5 Likes

Mine is embarassment of pandas.

5 Likes

Hi @juli0r,
Only if your in china.:joy::joy:

4 Likes

I also didn’t like the idea of attaching velcro directly to the bottom of my pedals, so I explored alternatives. Ended up doing something along these lines:

I used painter’s tape to create the pedal bed and attached the velcro to it. The tape was also useful to write the amperage of each pedal and have it easily accessible.

4 Likes

Thanks @gcancella, I will watch that. I have my board, and a somewhat collection of pedals I am keeping and starting with. I already hare the Velcro, not even cuz of the resale value, it’s just a pain, and tacky.

3 Likes

Exactly my thoughts. I’m not even thinking about future reselling, I just don’t want to “ruin” my pedals.

3 Likes

To add to @PamPurrs’s toppers. I also use ones, as seen below.

They’re from Mooer and go for like 6-7€ ($7-$8) for 10 pieces and are quite worth it. My bare feet are very thankful.

Ok, found them on thomann:

3 Likes

Yeah, I have. Some in my cart, and I have $106 credit on Amazon. Just trying to think what I want to get. I am seriously considering another Zoom MS-60b.
I started messing with more effects in it, and went to the website, and there are like 35 more cloned pedals and amps you can add to it.

And they are all the pedals I am looking at.
AND it even has the Moog envelope filter @Gio was showing me (that cost $4000) you can add to it. It has everyTC Electronics pedal I was thinking about. Hall of Fame, flashback, 2x corona chorus, it has so much.

It has every pedal in the Source Audio Soundblox 2 Bass Mini modeler that I like, and better graphic controls, so I may even send that back even tho I like it so much, the MS-60b is so much more versatile.

Anyway, when I figure out what I am getting and order, I am getting some of those foot switch toppers too.

2 Likes

would like to try one. if the amp modeling is correct, it could be a very interesting part of a pedalboard, as a mobile all-in-one setup.

2 Likes

I am not an expert in amp modeling, but I love the sounds. I like the little Markbass 3.

You can add 6 more, each with a cab, and cabs are interchangeable. Unlike the B1four, the amp and cab are in the salami patch. You can select the cab on the last page of settings for the amp.
Or turn the cab off. So even tho this only has 4 patches per chain, instead of 5, you don’t need 2 patches for amp and cab

Be sure to look at the effects list online. The ones with a blue * are ones you can add thru usb.

I am using mine primarily as a compressor, well 6 compressors, and very good ones I might add.

I want another for a chorus, another for Reverb / delay, one for big muff / fuzz face / rat / mxr bass fuzz , another…

I am not going to run out and get 6, but I could see a pedalboard with 5-7 of these being great.

I wrote in another thread about how I like single effects, or just an effect with an amp / cab and noise gate. I don’t like setting up a chain Comp / octave / fuzz / flanger. But if I set up Comp on one, octave on another, use my Plumes OD, and then have flanger and cab on another, I love it.

Then I read in the instructions that some effects take up more processing, and if you overload it, it won’t allow you to add the last patch, and if it’s near full there can be some delays where it can’t keep up.
So that explains why ai don’t like the sound when it’s all in one unit.

But it’s a great pedal to set up single effects and or just amp, and cycle thru them (you can set up a foot switch chain for order to cycle thru your patches). So that’s how I am using it.

Instead of buying an Envelope filter, cuz that’s what I was thinking of, I am just gonna get another one of these for now, and who knows, maybe more later.

1 Like

So I’ll try here rather than starting a new thread. I don’t want to buy something and have it not work. So it’s about daisy chaining pedals to a power supply. You know those cables that you can share 5 pedals to one outlet. Say you have a 9v outlet at 300 mV. You put 5 pedals on it that each require 100 mV, but each would get only 60 mV. So, it shouldn’t work. But you really would only have let’s say 2 pedals on at once, so they could both get up to 150 mV, correct?

4 Likes

Interesting question @itsratso… I’m looking forward to what the experts here have to say about that.

3 Likes

If you replace “mV” with “mA” you are mathematically correct. You can add up the current requirements (mA) of all the pedals and that has to be less than the current rating of The power supply. The catch is that many pedals don’t turn off when bypassed, so they are still drawing current unless physically unplugged. Overloading the power supply may over time cause the power supply to fail or it may cause a condition that damages the pedals, depending on how things are designed. It’s best to get a big enough power supply or divide the pedals onto more power supplies. Dividing has the advantage of having a spare power supply On hand if one fails.

6 Likes

Yeah. Even a cheap power supply is better than daisy chaining in this case.

I have a super cheap Donner power supply that advertised itself as isolating (tl;dr, it isn’t, they just put choke coils on each outlet) but still sounds fine on my board. That said, now that my board is more or less done it would be the first obvious upgrade.

6 Likes

Yeah, I got a cheap, possibly donner, or no name one, and used it a bit, and then came across one line not turning on one of my pedals, then I saw I was still on a 100ma line, and this one needed 500ma. I had one, but it was a shared 9v/12v/18v.
Then I realized there was one other port that was 300ma 9v/12v/15v/18v. And all the others were 100ma. I realized that I thought since most of the cheap supplies were similar, that they were the same, and didn’t think to look to closely, buying not just for lower price, but mostly what would arrive soonest, this was first days of Covid lockdown and even with Amazon Prime, many things were taking a month or more to arrive.

A month later when I was building the board with more pedals, and found this, I quickly returned it and upgraded a little bit.
Went with

and it has pretty good power options. I like it, and I am not really strong with electrical, but it seems to offer much more of what I wanted and needed.

5 Likes

I think that’s actually the same circuit as one of the Donners. When I was looking I found teardowns and most of the cheap ones were using the same or very similar boards. And lying about being isolated and instead just putting a choke on each power outlet.

Easy to test, take a multimeter, set to resistance, unplug the thing, and see if any of the two grounds of the outputs are connected.

For a decent PS with isolated grounds most of the options start around $80 IIRC.

That said, I have not had ground loop issues with my Donner yet. I guess the chokes sort of work?

4 Likes

Yeah,I was after the 300ma instead of 100ma.
Most I saw in the $35 and under range had all or most 100ma, with one to 3 at 300ma and the two selectable with higher volt output.

I think this was one of the only ones I found, in stock, with fast ship, for $35. It very well could be a donner copy, or joyo, or koogo. It is Cailine, and those guys not only copy each other, I would bet a lot of them, or their parts come from the same factories. Probably factories making some of the bigger name pedals as well, just like the production line Basses.

3 Likes